New Vinyl - Are We Bothered

ajb

Before i ask this question, i just want say i love my vinyl, new and old, i'm just curious.

Recently Mike held a poll on recent format purchases, i wasn't surprised to read older vinyl was a first choice, however what i was surprised at was the lack of votes for new vinyl.

Now with all the "new" old finds being made, and released on vinyl on what seems a monthly basis, along with a resurgence in 70's soul music via limited editions, and so forth it seems theres plenty out there.

Then theres the new stuff released, retro in style to fit within "the scene", along with modern soul releases, not to mention re-issused releases.

So my question, are you bothered about new vinyl, do you feel it won't be worth any value, bearing in mind most releases now days are truly limited runs.

Going back to what i said at the start, i'll collect vinyl whatever, new or old, and thank those who go to the trouble of producing it still, but i ask am i in the minority?

alan

Social source share

I love buying new vinyl releases, especially if they're by big artists, as they are limited in quantity, and they're a good investment.  Plus I like to collect them, anyway. Over the past few years, I've been collecting complete runs of 7" singles and 12" LPs by Amy Winehouse, Adele, Duffy and Lily Allen, and was pleased I bought most of them as new releases on the week they hit the shops.

Was extremely miffed when HMV stopped selling 7" vinyl a few years before they finally closed their doors.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I don't bother with much new vinyl - I think with me is the fact that it has no history, it's not got any time about it???!!!

A different world today and new vinyl kinda reflects that new world - give me yesterday anyday. :wink:

Social source share

the poll question was the last format so it was cd for me. I buy a mix of old and new records and particually the new unissued from the tapes trojan 45s and 10 inches all limeted to a 500 press. Theres plenty of new decent 45s to buy and i do not care about rareity !

Social source share

......................... when these new releases become scarce in a few years time - that is when people will be bothered. A bit like the 70s when you could buy Ujima, Bill Brandon, Corey Blake etc. for less than a quid as new releases.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I’m not bothered about it at all. Playing a record indoors is a bit of a pain these days. It’s much more convenient to buy a CD/download and transfer it to my ipod. I can listen to it anywhere then. I only buy records these days if they’re not available on any other format or if I come across a second hand record shop and can’t help myself. I’ve bought some records over the past year and haven’t played them yet.

Edited by daved
Social source share

used to buy loads of dancehall reggae 'new'..most of which will never be worth much..although im gutted i didnt get the beres hammond soul stuff!!...about 5-10 years back was also djing for a mate at an indie night so was buying a lot then mainly from virgin before they changed there name and went bust..some nice coloured vinyl,pic sleeves and 10" by arctic monkeys,ordinary boys,kaiser chiefs etc.

now its mainly unreleased kent stuff...any news on that etta james by the way??

although just got a copy of the strypes ep-young gifted and blue..theyre gonna be big..real mod rnb..great musicians and only 15-17 years old!!

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

although just got a copy of the strypes ep-young gifted and blue..theyre gonna be big..real mod rnb..great musicians and only 15-17 years old!!

dean

Big article on them in today’s Daily Mirror. Only very young lads it seems. I must check them out.

Social source share

on you tube..think they may be on jools holland tonite too...

played a gig in bristol a month or so back and was heaving with loads not let in

been playing instruments since they were pre teens,think they had quite wealthy musical parents

their heros are early stones etc

this was on radio one yesterday..blue collar jane

https://youtu.be/gZb8nEemK2k

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

on you tube..think they may be on jools holland tonite too...

played a gig in bristol a month or so back and was heaving with loads not let in

been playing instruments since they were pre teens,think they had quite wealthy musical parents

their heros are early stones etc

this was on radio one yesterday..blue collar jane

https://youtu.be/gZb8nEemK2k

On bbc iplayer now (jools holland .. the shorter version) also on the show, absolutely awesome performance from Charles Bradley, was completely blown away by the sound of that record. Seriously, check it out. If his LP is on vinyl id be tempted...

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

i love new release vinyl and have to say that from my point of view there's a lot of people on the scene buying them we sell loads regards Simon.

Social source share

used to buy loads of dancehall reggae 'new'..most of which will never be worth much..although im gutted i didnt get the beres hammond soul stuff!!...about 5-10 years back was also djing for a mate at an indie night so was buying a lot then mainly from virgin before they changed there name and went bust..some nice coloured vinyl,pic sleeves and 10" by arctic monkeys,ordinary boys,kaiser chiefs etc.

now its mainly unreleased kent stuff...any news on that etta james by the way??

dean

They were in scootering the other month... They didnt seem to seem all that interested in the Mod thing surprisingly. 

Social source share

On bbc iplayer now (jools holland .. the shorter version) also on the show, absolutely awesome performance from Charles Bradley, was completely blown away by the sound of that record. Seriously, check it out. If his LP is on vinyl id be tempted...

As it happens...............

https://www.firstexperiencerecords.com/product-detail///Daptone/Charles+Bradley/victim+of+love+-+LP+Vinyl/vinyl/3399

Social source share

haha brilliant. theres also a 45 ive noticed... will have to check out the tracks on it! seriously though, that jools holland performance is incredible. Nice to hear a real authentic soul sound being made nowadays; something which sounds like a late sixties record yet definitely has its place now. brilliant.

Social source share

I sell a lot of new 45's including new releases, previously unreleased 60's and 70's, reissues etc. As long as they're quality (and legal!).  

I don't stock everything as there's blinkin' loads out there! I tend to cherry pick the best ones and offer them for sale on me site, to which they are well supported and sell pretty well.
My next offering is the new David Washington 45 which is a tasty dancer which i think should do OK?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When it comes to new releases if its on vinyl, I'm a sucker for it and have paid the extra few quid for it.  But if the CD LP contains extra tracks and the vinly LP I'll plump for the CD and then the download. I am a bit of a dinosaur.  I buy "retro" soul such as Lee Fields and Martha High, but i'm not a big fan of the "Fad-Type" singles that pop up from time to time.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

The irony of certain parts of the soul scene is that when great new soul is available there's little to no interest. It seems that interest only generates when they've disappeared and the increased price tag and scarcity make them appealing. It seems that most have forgotten or never knew that the 'Northern' scene was significantly fuelled by new releases back in the day.

Lee Fields, Martha High & Speedometer, Mary Gresham, Bill Spoon, George Soule, Sky Hi and many others have all featured as new release plays at Lifeline, they're just as relevant to me.

Edited by Wrongcrowd
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The irony of certain parts of the soul scene is that when great new soul is available there's little to no interest. It seems that interest only generates when they've disappeared and the increased price tag and scarcity make them appealing. It seems that most have forgotten or never knew that the 'Northern' scene was significantly fuelled by new releases back in the day.

Lee Fields, Martha High & Speedometer, Mary Gresham, Bill Spoon, George Soule, Sky Hi and many others have all featured as new release plays at Lifeline, they're just as relevant to me.

Totally agree Cliff .

Spencer Wiggins is one of the best things I've heard in a long time and the Natural Impulse also is a bloody good tune .

I remember all the hype before they went on general release ,the rush to get a pre release copy and get it on the decks first ...now what's happened ?

Too common maybe ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Those not convinced by new, or recent (last couple of years) releases on vinyl, have a listen in the new vinyl recommendations thread, and see if it can change your view.

alan

I don't think that the folk that have said they haven't bothered buying much new vinyl aren't convinced by the quality of new releases mate.

The reply to people who have said they don't buy much new vinyl should be 'fair do's' if that's where you are at' instead of trying to turn a thread into, once again, an " I'm a better Soulie than you" competition.

Social source share

I don't think that the folk that have said they haven't bothered buying much new vinyl aren't convinced by the quality of new releases mate.

The reply to people who have said they don't buy much new vinyl should be 'fair do's' if that's where you are at' instead of trying to turn a thread into, once again, an " I'm a better Soulie than you" competition.

i didn't realize i was! i was just making a statement, not provoking reaction.

so, "fair do's" my mistake.

no offence intended  :thumbsup:  

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

They were in scootering the other month... They didnt seem to seem all that interested in the Mod thing surprisingly. 

It wasn't that they weren't that interested as such, more that they didn't see the need to associate themselves with it - in the same way as The Animals never really did, even though a lot of mods loved their sound.

Nice lads, but I doubt we'll see much more of them as they seem to be happy to be a covers band, so enjoy them while you can.

Social source share

It wasn't that they weren't that interested as such, more that they didn't see the need to associate themselves with it - in the same way as The Animals never really did, even though a lot of mods loved their sound.

Nice lads, but I doubt we'll see much more of them as they seem to be happy to be a covers band, so enjoy them while you can.

Yeah, I guess your right. I just had a quick scan over the article to be honest, but the impression I got was they weren't all that aware of the mod thing.

They aren't bad, but I can take them or leave them. Dont think they are particularly amazing.

Edited by NorthernJordan
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I don't bother with much new vinyl - I think with me is the fact that it has no history, it's not got any time about it???!!!

surely all history has to have a starting point somewhere, all hail the vinyl, old or new. it might not have a past but it still has a feel, a smell and artwork

Social source share

Vinyl, New and Old from last week’s  Soul Discovery Radio Show

David Washington “Games” (Soul Junction Promo) 7’

Charles Walker & The Dynamites “Get up on the living” (Gemco) 7’

Coalitions “Didn’t we almost make it” / “Thank God” (Soul Junction Promo) LP

Soulnaturals feat Sharon Gitau If it’s war (your looking for)” (British Soul Standard)

Jody Parsley - I don't know (Tramp) 7’

David Washington & Katrina Johnson “Ready for your love” (Soul Junction Promo) 7’

Nicole Willis “Light year ahead” (Timmion) LP

A.J. Sparks & Crew “Working on love” (Soul Junction) 7’

Charles Bradley “Let love stands a chance” (Dunham/Daptone) LP

Bob Poitier “Baby I need you” (Miami) 7’

Cecil Lyde “Is that the way back to your heart” (Aladdin West) LP

Dee Edwards “It comes to my attention” (Morning Glory) 7’

Tender Touch “Can I see you tomorrow” (Paramount) 7’

Barbara Jean English “I want to love you” (Zakia) 7’

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Vinyl, New and Old from last week’s  Soul Discovery Radio Show

David Washington “Games” (Soul Junction Promo) 7’

Charles Walker & The Dynamites “Get up on the living” (Gemco) 7’

Coalitions “Didn’t we almost make it” / “Thank God” (Soul Junction Promo) LP

Soulnaturals feat Sharon Gitau If it’s war (your looking for)” (British Soul Standard)

Jody Parsley - I don't know (Tramp) 7’

David Washington & Katrina Johnson “Ready for your love” (Soul Junction Promo) 7’

Nicole Willis “Light year ahead” (Timmion) LP

A.J. Sparks & Crew “Working on love” (Soul Junction) 7’

Charles Bradley “Let love stands a chance” (Dunham/Daptone) LP

Bob Poitier “Baby I need you” (Miami) 7’

Cecil Lyde “Is that the way back to your heart” (Aladdin West) LP

Dee Edwards “It comes to my attention” (Morning Glory) 7’

Tender Touch “Can I see you tomorrow” (Paramount) 7’

Barbara Jean English “I want to love you” (Zakia) 7’

Be great if you could post some sound files of these to here:

I'll try to go through them later and find youtube/soundcloud clips to add to that thread

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!