Mick Payne, Notts Soul Pioneer R.i.p

We have the depressing news that one of the Northern scene's first pioneers has passed away this morning. Mick Payne was an ardent collector, local DJ in the Ashfield area who had been playing Soul since 1965!!

A lovely man, thoughtful, caring and supportive to anyone who knew him.

Mick was born in Kirkby in Ashfield and became one of the first guys in the area to play(very obscure at the time) Chuck Jackson, The Impressions, James Brown and early Oriole and Stateside's.

Both Sam and I remember him fondly from our time with him locally and in his 'adopted' home Florida.

Our thoughts are with his wife Lynne, son Steven, brother Peter, sister Gwen, Mum Freda and the rest of his family. Michael was 64.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Memories....... He taught me 'a thing or two about a thing or two' as the saying goes. Chillin' in Orlando some 15 years ago, he decides he wants to look for records(as you do!) and mentions Bananas in St Petersburg. 

I knew the difficult nature of the owners, stared at my 300ml Chardonnay and politely declined the 70 mile trip.

Two meals, several drinks later, he returns clutching a bag of mint 45's incl Moses Smith(Dionn Demo), several Okeh's, Four Larks(Tower issue) and many more 20-50 quider's. 

How did that happen I asked, and smiling sweetly he replied....by acting dumb and saying little.

I never went looking for records again without him!

I think Tats bought his Bob and Earl Harlem Shuffle when he was about 10 or something...but that's another story. 

May that Florida sunshine glow on Michael forever.

Sad news.Does Tat's know,Kev.? Mick was one of the many Kirkby soul men.

Social source share

Sad news.Does Tat's know,Kev.? Mick was one of the many Kirkby soul men.

Tats is aware of the sad news and knew MP well. He was one of the young men you looked up to when we were 13 or so in the late 60's. We were getting into Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon while Mick already had a formidable Wheel type collection. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

RIP MICK PAYNE

Sutton in Ashfield

A True Soul Man, and True Pioneer of Our Scene!

Just heard the terrible news,,, awwww Mick Payne,,, Lovely lovely Mick ,, such a nice fella,,, so so knowedgable about the music we love,,, a GREAT scence of humour too ,, i can see his love smile now,,, always came up to see what you were playing while ya where DJing and slipping ya tit bits of info about the record or artiste that you were playing ,,, Im so gutted i cant say anymore for now,,, Deepest Condolences to his lovely wife Lynne and all Micks family,,,, Have a Lovely Sleep Mick,, God Bless Bro,,, RIP ,,,,,, Nige xxx

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Never stop talking about him and he will be imortal in your hearts.

I'm only 55 and a lot of my old friends left this world early, But i usually think about them or mention their name quite often.

Garry Huxley

Social source share

Oh my god this has knocked me for a six,what a lovely man,someone you just looked up to,a man still with forward thinking,iam totaly gutted.Thake your place in heaven at the front with the best of them,Ill see you again hopefuly sir one day.Gilly and Nicola

Social source share

spent 7 days in chicago with him on the soul trip a gem of a man a pleasure to know him ,when we were there he got me to take photo's of him and lou pride and marvin smith then he said to me you get yours too just a pity i didn't get one of me and him wasn't thinkin straight too tired from the night before ,lovely lovely man pure class.. :(

Social source share

We have the depressing news that one of the Northern scene's first pioneers has passed away this morning. Mick Payne was an ardent collector, local DJ in the Ashfield area who had been playing Soul since 1965!!

A lovely man, thoughtful, caring and supportive to anyone who knew him.

Mick was born in Kirkby in Ashfield and became one of the first guys in the area to play(very obscure at the time) Chuck Jackson, The Impressions, James Brown and early Oriole and Stateside's.

Both Sam and I remember him fondly from our time with him locally and in his 'adopted' home Florida.

Our thoughts are with his wife Lynne, son Steven, brother Peter, sister Gwen, Mum Freda and the rest of his family. Michael was 64.

Really sad news Kev,

I first met him when I was an 11/12 yr old lad and he often called in my dad's corner shop, although he was a few years older. when he found I had a fledgling interest in Soul music, he always took the time to chat with me about it, he had a  great passion for the music and was such a warm wonderful person, I hitched up a few times with him in Florida for some vinyl digging and had some great laughs along the way.

A heartfelt condolence goes out to his lovely wife Lynn and his family.

R.I.P  Mick 

Social source share

Sad news RIP Mick.     Mick was resident DJ at Bentinck for over 10 years  playing different stuff each month, loads new to my ears.He always had time for everybody. He used to tell me about his soul years going way back to the sixties when he had his mini van. Can't believe I won't see him again.  Condolences to Lynn and family.....

Social source share

big thank you kev and thank you all.for all these lovely comments .iam sure our lynne and the rest of the family will love these heart warming comments..i sit here thinking why ..R.I.P..MY SOUL BROTHER .there not be a day that goes by i wont be thinking of you..

thanks again everyone..i will let our lynne and family know its on here...

love to all pete xxxxxxxxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great DJ, Collector and friend, we used to talk for hours at Bentinck about soul records. He will be sadly missed and our thoughts go out to Lynne and family.

Mitch and Mel.

Social source share

only just seen this ....how sad ...what a great bloke he was ...remember him from the soul trips kev roberts did ...we kept in touch by e mail and text  sending each other stupid jokes .and he sent me lots of soul train shows on dvd..........r.i.p. mick......gonna miss you... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!