Marjorie Black One More Hurt Demo Diff Take From Issue?

Go to solution Solved by slimharpo,

There is a MB Demo for sale on Ebay with a sound clip. I just clicked on it just to hear it while surfin'. I was surprised to hear what I think might be a different take or mix. Marjorie's voice is far more prominent on the Demo clip than on my issue where the band, particularly Mike Terry is very much to the fore front. It might be my computer speakers or my imagination but can anyone else hear a difference?

Social source share

No it's a fact that the white demo is the only way to own this brilliant tune. The issue is very muffled with too much bass and Marjorie's voice lower in the mix. The demo is much sharper/crisper with Marjorie's voice to the fore.

Same goes for Bobby Garrett- I can't get away. The demo is superb and on styrene. The issue is terrible quality with very low volume.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

No it's a fact that the white demo is the only way to own this brilliant tune. The issue is very muffled with too much bass and Marjorie's voice lower in the mix. The demo is much sharper/crisper with Marjorie's voice to the fore.

Same goes for Bobby Garrett- I can't get away. The demo is superb and on styrene. The issue is terrible quality with very low volume.

My Bobby Garrett original blue issue on styrene plays crystal clear and top notch fidelity. 

You must have had a bad issue copy!

Social source share

I doubt the demo factor could be an issue in this case. Never liked the track so didn't pay much attention to the different mixes possibilities. For fact; I had multiples of Derek Martin 'if you go' on American Sue from two different pressing plants on vynil. One full orange with bold typo and the other with the white stripes and thin typo. And if they were the same takes indeed, the mixes were totally different. I had the same with Inez & Charlie Foxx 'I feel alright' on American Symbol. One on a shiny label with the multi coloured top and bold typo and the other mat label with orange top and thin typo. Same take once again but totally diferent mixes. Never bothered then to inquire much more into it then, just sold them. I had few Marjorie Black, but I don't remember wich ones. Never had a promo though. But I could easely believe that according to the different pressings of Marjorie Black on Sue, different mixes could also exists. So I would rather believe that different demos from different pressing plants would usually then use the same matrix plates for both their promos and issues. If I would have like these tunes, I would then have bothered much more to seek the press to have and not to have.

Social source share

• Solution

Thanks for that. I had always thought that Marjorie's voice was 'buried' by the backing but I love the backing esp Mike Terry's burbling sax, my issue is a good quality actually with a loud volume to it. However, I will have to try and get the Demo as well because you are right, MB's voice is great and deserves to be to the fore, then I can play one after the other for the best of both worlds!
Social source share

Thanks for that. I had always thought that Marjorie's voice was 'buried' by the backing but I love the backing esp Mike Terry's burbling sax, my issue is a good quality actually with a loud volume to it. However, I will have to try and get the Demo as well because you are right, MB's voice is great and deserves to be to the fore, then I can play one after the other for the best of both worlds!

Me again. After last post I remembered I have the 4CD Sue Records Story issued on EMI about 20 years. A great compilation with a superb booklet containing info, photos and label discgraphies. Sure enough it had One More Hurt on there and it is the Demo version with Marjorie's voice upfront! What is even better is that Mike Terry's bass sax is up there too. Heaven!

Social source share

Me again. After last post I remembered I have the 4CD Sue Records Story issued on EMI about 20 years. A great compilation with a superb booklet containing info, photos and label discgraphies. Sure enough it had One More Hurt on there and it is the Demo version with Marjorie's voice upfront! What is even better is that Mike Terry's bass sax is up there too. Heaven!

I always thought that Robert Bateman had "One More Hurt" recorded entirely in New York.  Did he bring Mike Terry to New York?  Or did he have the backing tracks recorded in Detroit, and just record the vocals in New York (as in "If It's All the Same To You Babe")?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always thought that Robert Bateman had "One More Hurt" recorded entirely in New York.  Did he bring Mike Terry to New York?  Or did he have the backing tracks recorded in Detroit, and just record the vocals in New York (as in "If It's All the Same To You Babe")?

Hi Robb. I.ve had a look at the CD booklet. It just says MB was brought to Juggy by Bob Bateman and describes how the song was written. Listening to the record it sounds very much like a Detroit recording, that has to be Benny Benjamin on drums? I am not an expert though. There has long been speculation as to whether Marjorie Black was a pseudonym for someone else, even one of the Soul Sisters. I found this entry on a blog not long ago re who was Marjorie Black.

'As far as I know this is my dad's little sister. Back in the day she preformed by the names Marjorie Black, Mary Black or Mary Johnson. Again... I am not sure but if this is my aunt, I was told her biggest selling 45 was "These Tears" by Mary Johnson. It sold over 500.000 singles'.

Social source share

I always wondered why the instrumental sounded so very much like Detroit.  But saying that Bateman brought Terry to Juggy Murry, sounds like he brought him to New York to record.  Bateman got his New York crew headed by Richard Tee to do a great job of "simulating the Detroit(even Motown) Soul Sound.  Often, drummer Pretty Purdie could sound like Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones.  I've been told all Bateman's productions for the New York labels were recorded in New York.  But some of those backing tracks sound suspiciously like Detroit.  I wonder if Bateman hadn't had several of the backing tracks recorded in Detroit, and just recorded the lead vocals, and, perhaps the backing vocals in New York.

Social source share

I always wondered why the instrumental sounded so very much like Detroit.  But saying that Bateman brought Terry to Juggy Murry, sounds like he brought him to New York to record.  Bateman got his New York crew headed by Richard Tee to do a great job of "simulating the Detroit(even Motown) Soul Sound.  Often, drummer Pretty Purdie could sound like Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen or Uriel Jones.  I've been told all Bateman's productions for the New York labels were recorded in New York.  But some of those backing tracks sound suspiciously like Detroit.  I wonder if Bateman hadn't had several of the backing tracks recorded in Detroit, and just recorded the lead vocals, and, perhaps the backing vocals in New York.

Hi Robb. I've attached the CD notes below. It was Marjorie Black that Bob Batemant supposedly brought to New York. I have emailed a friend who is a New York sound 'expert', maybe he will be able to shed more light on where this track actually originated.

post-430-0-28740900-1366276933_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

My orange and black issue which was mr koppels, sounds just fine & dandy clear as a bell !! But also i always thought my bobby garret issue sounded a bit bassy and not as good quality as the rest of the mirwood cuts. 

stevie

Social source share

I doubt the demo factor could be an issue in this case. Never liked the track so didn't pay much attention to the different mixes possibilities. For fact; I had multiples of Derek Martin 'if you go' on American Sue from two different pressing plants on vynil. One full orange with bold typo and the other with the white stripes and thin typo. And if they were the same takes indeed, the mixes were totally different. 

Two totally different takes for the Derek Martin record, one way more powerful than the other, sorry can't tell you whats what off the top of my head but I think the vinyl issue with the black face and the bass intro is the better one.

Social source share

Two totally different takes for the Derek Martin record, one way more powerful than the other, sorry can't tell you whats what off the top of my head but I think the vinyl issue with the black face and the bass intro is the better one.

Not 100% on this, but doesn't one have Piano throughout, and the other Organ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!