News: Philly Legend Vince Montana Dies

The sad loss of Vincent Montana, Jr. (February 12, 1928 - April 13, 2013)
An American composerarranger, and percussionist, most known as a member of MFSB and as the founder of the Salsoul Orchestra.

He is the spiritual father of the Salsoul Orchestra, the backing band for the many acts on Salsoul Records. The personnel of MFSB and the Salsoul orchestra overlapped substantially, and both groups were recorded at Philadelphia's famous Sigma Sound Studios.

In recent years Montana has worked with house music duo Masters at Work, which has rekindled interest in his work. Ken Cayre, founder of Salsoul Records, has praised Montana's skill at scoring strings, brass, and diverse percussion in such way that it all worked within a dance recording. As Montana was among the first with his considerable training and skill to apply such scoring technique to disco-oriented recordings, it is safe to say he is a true pioneer in the field.

Most recently, Montana worked on 'New York City Boy' by the Pet Shop Boys.

Vince Montana died on April 13, 2013.

Social source share

Very sad news. I just heard that Vincent Montana Jr passed away today, right as I was putting my show together. By co-incidence I was programming a whole heap of the new Tom Moulton Philly Re-Grooved Vol 3 remixes, virtually all of which featured Vincent, so he was running all through the show anyway. This news adds a lot of poignancy to today’s show, so we’ll be running a Vincent Montana Jr tribute throughout the whole show as a mark of respect to one of the greatest arrangers in dance music history. He could play mean vibes too!

Obviously today’s show is gonna feature a lot of Philly OK!

Six Million Steps Presents The Original Mastercuts Show LIVE with Ian Dewhirst between 2.00-4.00pm on Sunday 14th April 2013 on everyone’s favourite Soul station www.starpointradio.com.

Featuring……

Ron Hall & The Motherfunkaz feat Marc Evans * Vincent Montana Jr & the Philly Sound Orchestra feat William Howard * Blue Magic * Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes * Gene Chandler * The Modulations * Universal Mind * Bettye Swann * The Philly Devotions * Fluorescent Smog * Cooking On 3 Burners * Gwen McRae * Ronnie Dyson * William DeVaughn * The Spinners * Fat Larry’s Band * The Salsoul Orchestra feat Loleatta Holloway

See you @ 2.00pm LIVE!  

RIP Vincent. We love you.

Ian D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

RIP the legendary Vince Montana , famed Philly arranger , producer, writer , and percussionist ,member of MFSB and The Salsoul Orchestra . I'd imagine most people on this planet with even the slightest interest in Black Music ,would have a recording touched by the genius of Mr Montana in their collection .A list of credits would fill many pages , but The O'Jays , Harold Melvin ,Jerry Butler , The Stylistics ,The Jacksons , Nuyorican Soul and many more up to the present day ,were all touched by his creative gifts .He will be indeed missed ,but leaves behind a stunning musical legacy for us to enjoy ........

Social source share

another solemn occasion....such a gifted exponent, his fingertips laced with magic, that infused the sound of the city of brotherley love...and, as is the case with these alchemists, vince was churning out hit after hit over many decades, a true reflection of his resilience and the respect in which he was held by new artists who wanted that something special in their productions....so many clamoured for his talent and so many prospered under his wing. r.i.p. vincent montana...a true philadelphian father figure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!