Your Current Top Two

Well, we all know we can't do a top five, or ten, or even a hundred.

So here's a challenge ... what is your current top two?

Not all time top sounds ... just the two you can't stop playing now

Here are mine ...

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Richard

Bobby Jones - Talkin' Bout Jone's (Expo) - Joe Hunter and Orch on this - awesome - look at the label it's one for the apostrophe freaks  :lol: 

Albert Jones - Up To The Sun (Bumpshop) - not the best YouTube - so turn up the volume!

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest john s

OK, I'll bite... both early 70s, though...

The Soul Rockers - If the shoe fits ya baby

Earl English and the Apaches - Trying to make ends meet

Social source share

ok i'm drifting to the modern side at the mo, listened to this 3 times today(Cecil Parker - i really love you)

and this i just love (Gloria Gaynor- This love affair)

Social source share

Guest john s

Pretty sure the Soul Rockers is promo only.Never seen an issue.

Ah, interesting. I've had a couple, both promos. 

Social source share

Miracles - Whatever Makes You Happy  - Brilliant feel good vocal by Smokey, I think.

Temptations - Running Away ( Ain't Gonna Help You ) I love the guitar playing on it - the whole thing really!

Two fantastic records, Paul Williams taking the lead in the Temps for a change, the debate goes on about the greatest group of all time, for me the Temps versatility sways it for me, my two

Devilles-One More Time

Gene Redding-I need your loving

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As is usual these are recent finds so end up getting battered for a few weeks:

Showstoppers - Heartbreaker - Spanish Beacon Picture Sleeve

Bobby Hebb - Everything's Coming Up Roses - Phillips Picture Sleeve

Regards,

Dave

Stick scans up in the Foreign issues thread if ya don't mind.

Cheers!

Social source share

...as there is no 'genre' stated in the asking...if it's no problem...I will post me two favs from last week ends car boot sale finds! I have learnt about music for over 30 years by collecting tunes from boot sales.....'randomly'! It is also my 'chill out' time most Sundays having a wander!

99 times out of a 100 i haven't a clue what i'm taking home each week....but that's the fun! On average...I pay 50p.....£1....for a 45....and occasionally find em at 10p each!! Generally I take home about 8-10 a week and 2/3 out of them will make my collection! That collection incorporates soul/Motown/Northern stuff...but....then i have a 'quiz' box...which has themes and quirky stuff from tv/films in it...then instrumentals that 'hit me' that go from the late 40's...to date.....all found at a boot sale! All the 633 Squadron...John Barry...Duane Eddy etc go in there! Then there is me 50's/ 60'/70's and best of the rest section! Me general 50's include rock n roll/rockabilly and Doo Wop along with the classics! 60's is full of stuff like the below! The 70's section is filled with the obvious classics and not many obscure stuff added as it is a lot of shuffling thru records to get to find them....and can't be ars*ed with em all really! I did dance to Funk in '76/7/8 when things like Olympic Runners Keep It Up and Jam Jam Jam were being stomped played in dark rooms in village hall disco's an odd time or two i made them...uptempo stuff...but never got excited by the 'disco' sound that overtook these into the 80's! Then there is an odds and sods section.....all YMCA/Time Warp party stuff! In there are loooads of obscure tunes for occasions such as 7 'Happy birthday' tunes some done by obscure singers on US Soul labels....1 of which i will upload as it does near verge on a 100 club definate....I reckon!!!x

The 80's/90's/2000 are covered by about 150 records....Love Shack....If Only I could/Sid Youngblood...M People..and probably on 10-15 tunes represent the 2000's!! For me...after the 70's...it's all been regurgitated!  I can 'predict' a tune within 5 seconds....and haven't listened to the radio for music since 1995! I listen to 5 Live....ritually! I was known for playing I'm So Happy-Philip Mitchell UK wide and Brainstorm- Loving is Really My Game at Blackburn @ 7.45/50amish...in particular! So I do like me 70's...but they gotta be that good!x

After Donna Summers 'I Feel Love'....I think it took years before anybody came up wiv anyfink new on the pop scene!  I have found some absolute nuggets from across the era's that are tunes in their own right that never made it in the charts or owt....or...in my wide scope...could verge on being considered 'Northern' from all genres! 

To start then...last week I found this by Paul and Barry Ryan. I have Barry Ryans classic hit from the late 60's 'Eloise' but never knew any of him or his bro's tunes from the early/mid 60's!  This one....'Baby I'm Sorry'....makes me hairs stand up on me arms like Fred Hughes Oooo Baby I luv U does after 35 years....and that bell/gong.....haunts you all the way thru the tune......50p!....on Decca...!x

The second is perhaps an all time 'classic'...BUT...in 7 years I never heard it played once or had the chance to dance to it...and i;m dis-appointed with that after hearing it several times this week!! On US ABC Paramount...Lloyd Price B side...Have You Ever Had the Blues.....10p....and the Personality on the A side plays perfick too! I'd have paid £5-10 for it...but....the pleasure of 'finding'...is priceless to me anyway!x Last year I did a 50th Birthday party for a group of Soulies who piled over to ours regular in the 90's. After i'd give the girls a lift to the venue....then the fellas...I was left with a home made CD in the back of the limo....which i discovered on the way home...! SUPER Northern with an R&B flavour that I have never heard...! On there is this Lloyd Price track...sung by a woman....r&b style....dunno who it is? But...I still prefer Lloyds version....and have done a twirl in me music shack quite happily this week to it!!x 10p...or £10....worth having methinks....enjoy!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

Thanx to all the PM's...E-mails and texts piling in still!!!x Special hi to Shaun from Boro's 3 Sad Men...Russ from Portsmouths crew and Donna in the Welsh mountains....who has been bellowing northern out across them valleys since 1988.....when I had a house and business there!XXXX Great to hear from you all and that your all well....and....that your glad to hear from me too!x It's a cult!!!hehe!x

'Underground'....hard core!!!x

@@
~

Social source share

For me at the moment , as I've not had them long

EMOTIONS - STEALING LOVE (Why have I only heard this in the last few weeks ?) Love it !

EDDIE HOLMAN - I SURRENDER (I know it's an oldie but now I've got a nice ex Demo I can play it when I like :P )

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This week.

JUDY FREEMAN HOLD ON.

ROSE ROYCE STILL IN LOVE

Last few weeks had an early 80's soul/jazzy vibe going on, this has been getting hammered in my house.

What a monster monster tune, love the jazzy bits later on.

Aid.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hooked on these two at the mo.                               

Edited by Paddywack
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This week.

JUDY FREEMAN HOLD ON.

ROSE ROYCE STILL IN LOVE

Last few weeks had an early 80's soul/jazzy vibe going on, this has been getting hammered in my house.

What a monster monster tune, love the jazzy bits later on.

Aid.

Judy Freeman is a bang on oldie Aid. Not sure I know the Rose Royce track - very much of the time. Nice.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pic & Bill - talk about love and Sensations - I won't be hurt, both great soul sounds that play perfectly together, actually cue sensations after p&b for the FULL Effect....

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Was it you or someone else who posted this on a different thread recently? I really like it and said on the other thread that the intro reminded me of this - and it still does!

Peter

:thumbsup:

yep it was me... it would be great to play them back to back !! :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest john s

Two nice modern toons needing some exposure, both can be picked up on uk 7s

Micheal Wycoff. Do you really love me RCA.

Micheal Lovesmith. Whats the bottom line. Motown.

If anyone can put these tunes up please do. :thumbsup:

Bloody hell - the Michael Wycoff was one of the first tunes I used to DJ regularly, as a new release!     :ohmy:  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!