News: George Jackson Passes

Guest Dave Turner

As I've stated on another board today there are many good writer/singers in the world of soul music but not many that can be classed as a genius.

A huge loss for the soul world

Social source share

The rare soul scene bandies the world 'legend' about with careless abandon. It seems that anyone that had a record played a couple of times on the scene is called a legend these days.

In this case the word 'legend' doesn't begin to do justice to the immense contribution of George Jackson.

A very sad day.

RIP Mr Jackson and thank you.

Edited by sweeney
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

real sad to hear this i was talking to willie hill in atlanta last october and asked him if he knew george he replied "he could write a 'hook' line from heaven in his songs" he was bang on,one of my favourites gone forever but leaves us a legacy of songs,and thanks to the likes of garry cape for putting the unreleased George J material all them years ago and turning more people onto the great George Jackson.R.I.P 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Very sad news.

There was only one George Jackson, his styling and feel was unique.

Paul

post-3850-0-12366800-1365985504_thumb.jp

SSCD 7024   GVCD 3026   GVCD 3003

Edited by Paul
Social source share

A giant in the Soul world, his recent CD's hopefully widened his audience as a singer, as he was a great singer, but he was, as John says, one of the greatest songwriters, with a quite magnificent legacy.

A Goerge Jackson week ahead methinks.

Social source share

The rare soul scene bandies the world 'legend' about with careless abandon. It seems that anyone that had a record played a couple of times on the scene is called a legend these days.

In this case the word 'legend' doesn't begin to do the immense contribution of George Jackson justice.

A very sad day.

RIP Mr Jackson and thank you.

Absolutely spot on Anthony, the amount of mediocre records i've heard with a half decent hook that have bandied about as brilliant or worse still ' Their best record' makes me laugh.

Check out this guys body of work and then check the use of the word Legend

A true great and the world is a poorer place without this supreme talent

Gutted!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Great stuff Heikki

Thanks

Peter

Thank you, Peter!

It really was a sad moment to find out about George's passing.  He gave the impression of a very nice and laid-back guy, and you relaxed with him... on the phone, too.

Social source share

Thank you, Peter!

It really was a sad moment to find out about George's passing.  He gave the impression of a very nice and laid-back guy, and you relaxed with him... on the phone, too.

Hi Heikki

I have read a few bits about George and there is very much a consensus on him being unassuming, laid back and friendly. It is sad that he has gone but we can continue to enjoy and celebrate is wonderful musical legacy. I also love some of the photographs I have seen of him over the years - he is one cool, southern american dude! I even liked that southern drawl of his - proper soul talk.

George will continue to be the man!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Up date from George's friend Richard Kuebler today....Sun 27th April

'Doctor Bob,
George had lung cancer and esophageal cancer.
He took the terminal news well and really did not suffer until the last two weeks.He actually passed on 21April.
He had one heir,his son , George,Jr,whom is called " Petey"-a nickname his father gave him.
The funeral was really wonderful.
Eulogy given by Jerry Mannery,co-founder if MS Mass Choir.It was fabulously uplifting.
More to follow.

RK'

Social source share

Up date from George's friend Richard Kuebler today....Sun 27th April

'Doctor Bob,

George had lung cancer and esophageal cancer.

He took the terminal news well and really did not suffer until the last two weeks.He actually passed on 21April.

He had one heir,his son , George,Jr,whom is called " Petey"-a nickname his father gave him.

The funeral was really wonderful.

Eulogy given by Jerry Mannery,co-founder if MS Mass Choir.It was fabulously uplifting.

More to follow.

RK'

Hi!

I think Richard looked at the wrong date in the calendar.  Services were held on April 20th.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!