Keeping It In The Family

Guest ShaneH

Guest ShaneH

we all know about Jimmy & David Ruffin, Brenda & Patrice but who else can you name?

any real obscure ones that would surprise a few?

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

• Replies 96
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest garv

we all know about Jimmy & David Ruffin, Brenda & Patrice but who else can you name?

Shane

Thelma & Cissy Houston & of course Whitney .............. not sure which one is her mother .

Social source share

Guest Rich

Thelma & Cissy Houston & of course Whitney .............. not sure which one is her mother .

Cissy I think - and isn't Dionne Warwick her auntie??

Randy and Bert Brown of The Newcomers

Pops Staples and the Clan - Mavis, Cleotha, Yvonne and Pervis

Not sure if George 'King' Scott and Charlie Scott of The Hesitations were brothers.

Fred and James Ferguson of Mad Dog and The Pups fame - whose lead singer was Oliver Cheatham of Get Down Saturday Night fame (apparently).

Moses and Joshua Dillard

I'm off t'bar anyway - don't want to get too associated with the anorak fraternity ranting_1.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest garv

Cissy I think - and isn't Dionne Warwick her auntie??

Randy and Bert Brown of The Newcomers

Pops Staples and the Clan - Mavis, Cleotha, Yvonne and Pervis

Not sure if George 'King' Scott and Charlie Scott of The Hesitations were brothers.

Fred and James Ferguson of Mad Dog and The Pups fame - whose lead singer was Oliver Cheatham of Get Down Saturday Night fame (apparently).

Moses and Joshua Dillard

I'm off t'bar anyway - don't want to get too associated with the anorak fraternity ranting_1.gif:unsure:

Yeah , forgot about that :thumbsup: .

What about the Womack clan???

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Shane

Nobody's mentioned the Scott twins (Walter and Scotty) from the Whispers, yet. or Eddie Cornelius (Cornelius Brothers) and Prince Gideon of "Smooth Sailing" fame...

...Or try this one on for size:

The late Al Perkins was the brother of (the happily still very much with us) Vee Allen, who used to be married to (and is still friends with) Na Allen, whose sister is Denise La Salle. All true, I swear!

TONE :unsure:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest johnm

Shane

Marvin and Frankie Gaye....

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Obvious ones

Eddie and Lamont Dozier

Amet and Neshui Ertegun

Mayfield Singers

Me and Mark. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Obvious ones

Eddie and Lamont Dozier

Amet and Neshui Ertegun

Mayfield Singers

Me and Mark. :unsure:

Eddie Holland's brother is called Brian, Lamont Dozier doesn't have a brother but his son Beau is playing hide the sausage with Joss Stone....

The Mayfield singers are Leroy Hutson and Donny Hathaway among others - none of whom are related to each other, much less to Curtis Mayfield!

I'll allow you Ahmet and his late brother Nesuhi, though, and I'll even spell them properly for you! :(

TONE

Social source share

Cecil is Bobbys brother and Cecils wife Linda (Womack and Womack) is Sam Cookes daughter..

And Linda Womack didn't mind either of the brothers. Was married to Bobby then went off with Cecil. I suppose it saves changing your last name if you keep it in the family.

Also aren't the Jackson's brothers? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's a couple of interesting ones for you:

N'Cole on Millennium is Teddy Pendergrass' brother

Michael Walker on Thunder (the excellent "I Got A Notion, You Got The Motion") is Phillippe Wynne of the Spinners/Funkadelic's brother.

Diane Lewis ("I Thank You Kindly") is Pat Lewis' sister

Milton Wright, Jeanette Holloway, Leno Phillips/Phillip Wright and Betty Wright are all siblings

Martha Reeves and Lois Reeves (Vandellas/Quiet Elegance) are sisters

Jodi Mathis is Johnny Mathis sister (he lied - but all the rest are true!)

Social source share

Not really siblings, but a mother and her children...

Johnnie Mae Matthews offspring are Black Nasty, but I would have to get on my hands and knees to rummage about for the LP to get there names and frankly I can't be bothered :unsure:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Following the relationship thread - more connections between old and new:

Jaheim/ hoagy lands was mentioned

Ledisi/ Larry Saunders

Asaph Womack cousin Bobby Womack

New York artist Chandlar's uncle is Kermit Chandlar of the Sheppards

Social source share

Guest johnm

Emerson Rogers and Bobby Rogers were cousins and both in the Matadors prior to the Miracles and then Emerson was replaced by his sister Claudette who then went on to marry Smokey.....

johnm

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Emerson Rogers and Bobby Rogers were cousins and both in the Matadors prior to the Miracles and then Emerson was replaced by his sister Claudette who then went on to marry Smokey.....

johnm

...And of course Bobby Rogers also marred Wanda Young of the Marvelettes....

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I posted this once before but it seems to have vanished when the threads were bring merged -

How about a few talented parents and their recording-artist relatives?:

Eddie Levert and sons Gerald and Sean

Millie Jackson and daughter Keisha

Donny Hathaway and daughter Lalah

Bobby Byrd/Vicki Anderson and daughter Carleen

McKinley Jackson and recently shot rapper Proof

Fontella Bass and nephew David Peaston

Johnnie Taylor and son Floyd

...anymore for anymore?

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Eddie Holland's brother is called Brian, Lamont Dozier doesn't have a brother but his son Beau is playing hide the sausage with Joss Stone....

The Mayfield singers are Leroy Hutson and Donny Hathaway among others - none of whom are related to each other, much less to Curtis Mayfield!

I'll allow you Ahmet and his late brother Nesuhi, though, and I'll even spell them properly for you! :unsure:

TONE

:):)

Good job I was sent home from work. I was clearly halucinating.

Thinking Holland Dozier and Holland, and couldnt think which 2 were related :yes:

Back to bed with man flu.

Social source share

And Linda Womack didn't mind either of the brothers. Was married to Bobby then went off with Cecil. I suppose it saves changing your last name if you keep it in the family

I thought Bobby married Lindas mother (Sam Cookes widow) so was her step father?

Very intercesting facts!! :):yes:

Also aren't the Jackson's brothers? :)

Apart from Michael who has yet to have his sex determined! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I thought Bobby married Lindas mother (Sam Cookes widow) so was her step father?

Yes, that's right, he married Barbara Campbell Cooke less than 9 months after Sam was shot. Talk about your dead man's shoes. Thus Linda was both his stepdaughter and, once she married Cecil, his sister in law. And you thought it was only three toed hillbilles who got up to this sort of thing...

Social source share

what about the ogletree brothers...gonna keep a check on you....treetop

i just bought this on ebay...top toon

plus there is a spanish fireman who sings with his two sons

jose and hose b :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Yes, that's right, he married Barbara Campbell Cooke less than 9 months after Sam was shot. Talk about your dead man's shoes. Thus Linda was both his stepdaughter and, once she married Cecil, his sister in law. And you thought it was only three toed hillbilles who got up to this sort of thing...

Off topic sorry !

Story went as far as I was told

Bobby was with Mother and Daughter. Then daughter fell for Cecil, there was a big fight ! They fell out and have not spoken sice ? So he was well into dead mans shoes ?

All very messy and odd !

This came from a freind who left the U.K as he got together with one of the backing singers, when they were over hear in the 80s. He ran off with her to L.A. That didn't work out I might add.

Andy Weeks rest in peace xx

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Tone will have to help me out on the connections but there are:

The Latimores

The Ingrams

The Sylvers - Foster Sylvers - Misdemeanour....takes me back :yes: Brixton '87

and weren't Levert sons of the O'Jays?

I could be wrong on all of the above :unsure:

Jo

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

How about The Five Stairsteps . . . Clarence Burke, Jnr. (lead), Aloha Burke (contralto), James Burke (first tenor), Kenneth Burke (second tenor), Dennis Burke (baritone), Cubie Burke (lead), Clarence Burke, Snr. (guitar).

NOW THAT IS KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY!

Martin

P.S. Are any of them related to Keni Burke who did the brilliant "Risin' to the top"??

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Apart from Michael who has yet to have his sex determined! :unsure:

So would that make Michael one of the Jackson Sisters :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!