Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

As an extension to the ongoing "I saw my first kingfisher today" thread, I thought it might be interesting if people wanted to post and share any wildlife pics that they've taken. As I said on the other thread, that way instead of just talking about what birds and other wildlife we've seen, we can also show photos of them. 

Hope you think it's a good idea.

As the current topic in the "kingfisher" thread is herons, I thought I'd start with a couple of pics of them that I've taken...

attachicon.gifheron2.jpg

Juvenile heron (looking very interested in a dragonfly)

attachicon.gifheronflight.jpg

Heron in sunset silhouette

Next up, a couple of pics of blackbird chicks, which I was lucky enough to get while looking out through a window at home.

attachicon.gifblackbirdchick.jpg

attachicon.gifblackbirdchicks.jpg

Come on then, show us what you've got. The only condition is that the photos are ones you've taken yourself.

Blimey, they're good pictures Russell. Could well be a nice thread this. I keep thinking of buying myself a decent camera - I live next to the Grantham Canal and would have lots of opportunities for some nice pictures. I'm a bit of a techno phobe though! I suspect your pictures were taken with a decent camera?

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Not so decent a camera, Peter. Mine's is a Nikon D80, which must be half a dozen years old now and takes 10 MP pics. By today's standards that not so big anymore for images. I bought it 2nd hand about three years ago and have no plans to replace it yet. 

Like you, I'm lucky to have somewhere very close to me that's got plenty of bird/wildlife. In my case it's the woods of Amsterdam. At the same time though, it's amazing what you can see outside your own windows. I only got the blackbird pics above because in between them being fed, the chicks were trying to fly and kept flapping against a window. That alerted me to what was going on and I stood quietly at the window, looking down on them, camera in hand!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A rather nice butterfly I saw on a recent trip to Australia.

Really cool creature when you click on the picture and see it large!

A very colourful and unusual beetle also on a trip to Australia.

Very unusual indeed. No idea what it might be, but I did notice that it appears to have one leg missing!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Really cool creature when you click on the picture and see it large!

Very unusual indeed. No idea what it might be, but I did notice that it appears to have one leg missing!

I think it's a Harlequin Beetle. There were literally hundreds of them about at Christmas when I took the picture.

Shame about the leg though!

Social source share

Proud parents - taken last year at Flatford Mill, Suffolk.

Out of interest, is the family still in the same area?

We had a family of swans on the waterway that runs alongside our road. They disappeared for a while, came back, and disappeared again. Then the parents (I presume it's the parents) came back again recently and built a nest in the same spot as the one that was there last year.

Social source share

With all the trees and stuff around, it looks like you might get a lot of different visitors to your garden...

Yes, i've got peanuts,seed and suet balls out so get lots of birds in the garden, sparrows, tits, blackbirds, thrushes, robins and wood pigeons.oops forgot the magpies lol.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Catching them in flight is a challenge, they are a bit rapid

attachicon.gif259_064.jpg

attachicon.gif270_079.jpg

not as swift as these little devils though 

attachicon.gif298_069.jpg

All brilliant, but the 2nd and 3rd pics are real prize winners! I tip my hat to you... :hatsoff2:

In terms of speed and difficulty to catch in flight, the closest I have to show are these nippy dragonflies...

post-9478-0-55927200-1366288443_thumb.jp

post-9478-0-44811900-1366288442_thumb.jp

Social source share

All brilliant, but the 2nd and 3rd pics are real prize winners! I tip my hat to you... :hatsoff2:

In terms of speed and difficulty to catch in flight, the closest I have to show are these nippy dragonflies...

Cheers Russell, it is a hobby that gets me out in the fresh air, I like your Common Darters, I am looking forward to the Dragonflies appearing again

A couple caught in the act, on a bench of all places  :) , and a Migrant Hawker

post-1477-0-99453300-1366288946_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-95378200-1366288973_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Something different this is a Hornet eating a Wasp  :huh:

I had been trying to get a shot of the Hornet, and had been following it along the bank of a ditch when I spotted it perched on this plant, at first I thought it was mating, then I realised what was actually happening as the Wasp disappeared before my eyes, it did not have a chance.

post-1477-0-70774800-1366289617_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-46129000-1366289619_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Out of interest, is the family still in the same area?

We had a family of swans on the waterway that runs alongside our road. They disappeared for a while, came back, and disappeared again. Then the parents (I presume it's the parents) came back again recently and built a nest in the same spot as the one that was there last year.

Sorry I couldn't tell you as I just took the picture whilst on holiday there.

Social source share

Great macros, Martyn. Just made the leap down this route last year, although not done much as yet. 

Here are two of a snail (found on the patio and kidnapped for a while so that I could take photos of it)...

post-9478-0-04870800-1366291096_thumb.jp

post-9478-0-87558200-1366291098_thumb.jp

...and a spider, about the size of a thumbnail, in its web.

post-9478-0-58863500-1366291100_thumb.jp

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Great macros, Martyn. Just made the leap down this route last year, although not done much as yet. 

Actually they were all taken with a telephoto lens, a minimum focus distance of 5 feet means I can keep far enough away to avoid spooking the subject, yet still get a frame filling shot.

Macro can be fun as you can find plenty of willing subjects in the garden, as seen in your shots.

Social source share

Actually they were all taken with a telephoto lens, a minimum focus distance of 5 feet means I can keep far enough away to avoid spooking the subject, yet still get a frame filling shot.

Same as I did with the dragonfly shots. It was the amount of detail that made me thing they were macros. Great pics regardless.

Social source share

I managed to snap this a while ago. The extremely rare and endangered Elephant Frog. Usually the chances of seeing these never mind getting a photo of it is almost impossible.

post-7917-0-32598900-1366305955_thumb.jp

Social source share

Common as f**k in Rotherham those frogs .

That`s the Asian Elephant Frog (Elephamphis Maximus) native to most of Yorkshire. The photo is of the South American sub-species. :hatsoff2:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

That`s the Asian Elephant Frog (Elephamphis Maximus) native to most of Yorkshire. The photo is of the South American sub-species. :hatsoff2:

You are right Steve just looked in my garden pond and the ones in there are less vivid green and have smaller ears .

Great picture by the way  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hunf.jpg

Fantastic pictures guys !!!

I'm living in a rural area and there are a lot of birds but they are too wild to be approached. Also, I am a mediocre photograph, as you can see. :huh:

That reminds me......I need a lime for my gin & tonic :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great photo - I haven`t seen a Yellow Hammer for literally years.

I hadn't till last year then the area near the holiday cottage I stayed at on the outskirts, of Tenby was alive with them. Going back in 6 weeks hopefully to get some more pictures of badgers plus the abundance of birds that are in the area.

Ste

Social source share