Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

I've been seeing swallows and martins up until last weekend as far apart as Scotland and Norwich. Can't say I've looked this week though.

[/quote

Chalky. Ive seen Swallows and House martins today when I was fishing out near Chester, doubt I will see any more though. They defo gone from the Manchester area

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mellytee

Looks like me and you Steve ... old and past it  :D

I dare you to say that to the stag's face....... :wicked:

Edited by mellytee
Social source share

Guest mellytee

I was beating on Calke estate when a big red got up and jumped over a 6ft+ blokes head the next one hit him chonk and knocked unconscious, big things to fall out with =^

Stop trying to kill them then Kev....you might become mates  :wicked:  :thumbup:  :P

Social source share

I was beating on Calke estate when a big red got up and jumped over a 6ft+ blokes head the next one hit him chonk and knocked unconscious, big things to fall out with =^

I was sitting on the banks of the river Kennet in the Benyons Estate on Halloween, good while back now, first light on a very foggy morning, when I heard what sounded like distant thunder.

The rumbling got gradually louder, then a figure appeared out of the mist, a man in a black tail coat. white waistcoat and breaches, on a black horse rode passed me and doffed his top hat...........I sh*t myself and nearly jumped in the river!

The rumbling got even louder and I contemplated hiding in the willows next to me......then out of the mist came two harts followed by a pack of hounds and thirty odd mounted huntsmen in hot pursuit.

The "sleepy hollow" figure was presumably the leader of the hunt who had ridden along the river's edge to keep the deer from straying in that direction.

Put the wind up me at first I can tell you.!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great little thread this, I've only just started looking through. I managed to snap this lovely bird this evening, which I found resting on my upstairs window ledge. I tried for several mins to urge it not to jump but it didn't listen. Luckily it could fly pretty darn well! :thumbsup:  Any ideas what it is as I'm not sure.....

My two young girls wanted to open the window to try & stroke it, until it turned around and showed off it's lethal looking beak! Bless 'em.

Cheers, Steve

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 2.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 3.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

Nice one Steve

I reckon that's a Little Owl. How big was it - and don't say little! Normally they are between the size of a robin and a black bird. Very much on the decline - 25% in twenty years.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Great little thread this, I've only just started looking through. I managed to snap this lovely bird this evening, which I found resting on my upstairs window ledge. I tried for several mins to urge it not to jump but it didn't listen. Luckily it could fly pretty darn well! :thumbsup:  Any ideas what it is as I'm not sure.....

My two young girls wanted to open the window to try & stroke it, until it turned around and showed off it's lethal looking beak! Bless 'em.

Cheers, Steve

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 2.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 3.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

Hi Steve. Welcome to our little wildlife thread.

Me thinks its a young  kestrel that probably left the nest a day or two early. nice pics by the way 

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Peter Hope your well my friend. It was only when I enlarged the picture that I realised it was a kestrel. The dark bars on its wings are the giveaway for me

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, all well here mate. I hope its the same with you.

Your bang on the money - it is of course a young Kestrel. Well done mate.

Me wildlife cred has gone - Little Owl! :dash2::lol:  

Take care matey.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks everyone! I thought it might be a young Hawk or Kestrel. It was flying between our house and one opposite for quite a while, so maybe lost or just couldn't decide which it preferred. It deffo had black wing tips when it flew, but it was then starting to get dark.

Hang on a minute...Hawk / Kestrel / Manoeuvers in the Dark...OMD! Sorry that's bad isn't it, quoting pop group like that on a soul site like this :rofl:  :D

Cheers all. Will be back with some more hopefully (photos...not jokes)!

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just going through some pics I took this summer and found this little beauty which I managed to get real close to as it was resting on the washing line.

Not a bird...but it does have wings! + actually looks like it's smiling! :)

attachicon.gifP1040287.JPG

Nice Picture Steve.Looks like a brown hawker dragonfly but not sure. Martyn Pitt ( the elder )is the man to ask

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

After having around 7 years of a wide variety of birds on a regular basis I've seen 1 Blackbird in the past month, the reason next door have got a moggy that seems to spend all it's time in my yard.                                           thumb_300_184_ginger-cat.jpg

Not sure how you would stand in the eyes of the law but your defending your property so just shoot it.Problem solved

Steve

Social source share

Not sure how you would stand in the eyes of the law but your defending your property so just shoot it.Problem solved

Steve

I'm not happy about it Steve I do send it packing when I see it but I can't hurt it, I will look for anti cat stuff in Wilko's and try that, missing the Nuthatch's the most beautiful bird.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, don't come on here much these days... but great thread with great stories....

no stories to tell, as work and live in London!!!

but I was out on Tuesday and took a couple of photos... bit grainy as light was falling...

(Richmond Park)

were to big will repost....

Edited by mischief
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Nice picture Martyn. Not seen a Redpoll this winter. In fact not seen many winter visitors this year apart from a few Red wings and fieldfares. Steve

There were about 12 - 15 of them up at the reserve, they are great to photograph as they are pretty tolerant of humans, as long as you do not move too quickly it is possible to get fairly close to them, especially if they are preoccupied with the willow herb seeds.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought it about time I added some more of my own pics. These were taken around our old house, which we moved out of in December. Now we're in a 2nd floor flat in the middle of town, so opportunities for wildlife shots on our own doorstep, so to speak, are going to be rare.

Male House Sparrow

post-9478-0-70974800-1392218356_thumb.jp

Magpie

post-9478-0-57093700-1392218358_thumb.jp

Starling - they put on a fantastic display to attract a mate during the breeding season. This was taken from out an upstairs window looking down and across to the top of the work unit opposite. The birds built nests under the eaves until the owner blocked up all the gaps, which was a real shame.

post-9478-0-56554000-1392218354_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share