Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Here's a couple of pics I've just captured from our Nottingham Peregrine Web Cam - see other thread. The first one is of the nest with the female on the ledge over looking the city.

post-5734-0-65318100-1368992968_thumb.pn

This one is a not too brilliant one of the chicks nearing three weeks old. I'll get a better one tomorrow.

post-5734-0-90880700-1368993170_thumb.pn

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

WOW. That's a great photo Davie. Can I ask what kit you used for the shot ? and was it a wild Stag ?

Ste

I used a Canon 1Ds with a 250mm lens and yes it is a wild stag :)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Wow! That's beautiful Davie.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I don't usually do wildlife but this fella and his big brother just stood there looking at me

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Bit behind you mate, I,m shooting with a Canon 50d. Thought it was a wild un but just had to ask. Makes it a even better shot

Ste

nice camera the 50d, I also have a 550d or as i call it the "baby Canon" as even with a battery grip it's smaller than the huge 1Ds 

Social source share

nice camera the 50d, I also have a 550d or as i call it the "baby Canon" as even with a battery grip it's smaller than the huge 1Ds

Got a battery grip for the 50d. Only have a few lenses though a fab 70 - 200 f 2.8L is usm mk 2 with a 2x converter plus a 17 - 40L series wide angle I also have a proper baby Canon 1000d with a 18 - 55 kit lens

Ste

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Got a battery grip for the 50d. Only have a few lenses though a fab 70 - 200 f 2.8L is usm mk 2 with a 2x converter plus a 17 - 40L series wide angle I also have a proper baby Canon 1000d with a 18 - 55 kit lens

Ste

I too have the 17-40L and a beautiful thing it is too :) being a landscape tog it's the one I use most and with the 1Ds being a Full Frame I get the whole lot 

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I lose out on the wide angle with the 50d but gain with the telephoto reach

Ste

Thats probably the only reason I keep the 550D to be honest, though I don't use it a lot these days 

Social source share

Thats probably the only reason I keep the 550D to be honest, though I don't use it a lot these days 

Hi Davie

I keep thinking that I would like to take up photography as a hobby. I'm not very good with technology though and have very little patience in terms of reading manuals and instructions - I just want to go! It all seems very complicated to me. Do you think I should look out for a night school class or something like that?

Peter

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi Davie

I keep thinking that I would like to take up photography as a hobby. I'm not very good with technology though and have very little patience in terms of reading manuals and instructions - I just want to go! It all seems very complicated to me. Do you think I should look out for a night school class or something like that?

Peter

you certainly could do something like that yeah, a good one will give you a good grounding in using your camera, though despite what people will tell you the camera isn't relevant when it comes to taking a good photo. I've done 4 books that are available on iTunes and 2 of them are of iPhone shots. After all that, yes, learning how to take a shot is more important than buying an expensive camera 

Social source share

I stumbled across these today  :)

Beautiful Pete.

We have quite a few breeding pairs of swans on the Grantham canal nearby. Always have to steel yourself walking past the parents if they are on the toe path with the cygnets! :yes: They can be quite intimidating - which is good. Lovely creatures. It's something special watching the young learn to fly and have seen many a take off and landing error! :D

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you certainly could do something like that yeah, a good one will give you a good grounding in using your camera, though despite what people will tell you the camera isn't relevant when it comes to taking a good photo. I've done 4 books that are available on iTunes and 2 of them are of iPhone shots. After all that, yes, learning how to take a shot is more important than buying an expensive camera 

I think I have a good eye for a photograph it's getting to grips with all the kit that puts me off. Even down to knowing what to buy etc. Perhaps I need to invest a little time in taking a look at the whole caboodle. :D

Cheers matey.

Peter

Social source share

Beautiful Pete.

We have quite a few breeding pairs of swans on the Grantham canal nearby. Always have to steel yourself walking past the parents if they are on the toe path with the cygnets! :yes: They can be quite intimidating - which is good. Lovely creatures. It's something special watching the young learn to fly and have seen many a take off and landing error! :D

Peter

Yes Peter, my boxer knows all about that, he nips in the lodge for a drink every time we pass and has been known to get a clout off a swan more than once lol he's off like a shot when it happens,

post-5777-0-11912300-1368999408_thumb.jp

Social source share

Fishing at Hampton springs near Whitchurch today and yet again no Cuckoos. That's 3 areas in the last month that normally support them and nothing. That's a very worrying situation. I knew they where in serious decline but this is so sad

Ste

Heard my first cuckoo (and only so far) of the year on Thursday at Whixall Moss just South of Whitchurch.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Peter, my boxer knows all about that, he nips in the lodge for a drink every time we pass and has been known to get a clout off a swan more than once lol he's off like a shot when it happens,

He looks like a nice pal to go walking with Pete.

:wink:

Peter

Social source share

He looks like a nice pal to go walking with Pete.

:wink:

Peter

He is Peter, everyone down there knows him now, I sometimes think the swans are getting used to him after 9 years of him popping in for a drink, ........the cuddly little Shi Tzu that makes us 3 is a different tale and is borstal bound, lol

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Gogs

Not wild-life but along with all my birds this 3 come to me to get fed (surprised i get any birds)

post-9242-0-77957500-1369010224_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-97814300-1369010245_thumb.jp

post-9242-0-81628900-1369010277_thumb.jp

This one's mine but he doesn't go out

post-9242-0-77189300-1369010439_thumb.jp

Social source share

Fishing at Hampton springs near Whitchurch today and yet again no Cuckoos. That's 3 areas in the last month that normally support them and nothing. That's a very worrying situation. I knew they where in serious decline but this is so sad

Ste

Same thing with me - been fishing and didn`t hear a cuckoo.  Haven`t heard one here at home either - will do some surfing to see if they are in decline and if there`s anything I can do to help.  As you say, a sad situation if that`s the case. :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Same thing with me - been fishing and didn`t hear a cuckoo.  Haven`t heard one here at home either - will do some surfing to see if they are in decline and if there`s anything I can do to help.  As you say, a sad situation if that`s the case. :(

They are very much in decline mate -  a 70% reduction in the last 30 years. 

Peter

Social source share

I think I have a good eye for a photograph it's getting to grips with all the kit that puts me off. Even down to knowing what to buy etc. Perhaps I need to invest a little time in taking a look at the whole caboodle. :D

Cheers matey.

Peter

Hi Peter. Hope your good. I,ve only had a camera for 2 1/2 maybe 3 years it was a canon eos 1000d with a standard zoom lens that got me interested, after 6 months I was so hooked I spent £500 on a 2nd hand camera body which was much more suited to wildlife and the elements. But its not the camera that gets the shots its the lens and your knowledge of the subjects your interested in. I subscribe to 2 photography mags. Outdoor photography and photoplus which is a Canon specific magazine. I found them invaluable.

Ste

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As the topic of conversation turned to man's best friend a little earlier, I thought the dog lovers might like this shot, which was taken on the beach at St Andrews.

The dog in the photo was having an absolutely marvellous time of it, running in and out of the sea like a mad thing and leaping over oncoming waves. Don't think I've ever seen a hound so happy as this one. It most definitely was a salty sea dog! 

post-9478-0-53251700-1369080648_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Peter. Hope your good. I,ve only had a camera for 2 1/2 maybe 3 years it was a canon eos 1000d with a standard zoom lens that got me interested, after 6 months I was so hooked I spent £500 on a 2nd hand camera body which was much more suited to wildlife and the elements. But its not the camera that gets the shots its the lens and your knowledge of the subjects your interested in. I subscribe to 2 photography mags. Outdoor photography and photoplus which is a Canon specific magazine. I found them invaluable.

Ste

Hi Ste

Yep, all good here buddy. Just winding down with Gordon(s)!

Thanks for the advice mate I'll look into it. I do need a new hobby.

Take care mate.

Peter

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Me mam said there was six of them on the feeder earlier on. The feeders have been a god send for the birds, even our swallows were eating suet balls off the feeder when they first arrived as there were no insects about.

Suz x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Me mam said there was six of them on the feeder earlier on. The feeders have been a god send for the birds, even our swallows were eating suet balls off the feeder when they first arrived as there were no insects about.

Suz x

Yes, I agree. Even now food is in short supply because of the rubbish weather and late late spring.

Keep feeding everyone.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes, I agree. Even now food is in short supply because of the rubbish weather and late late spring.

Keep feeding everyone.

Peter

Have to agree completely. The swallows, swifts and martins arrived here all right, but they're not here in the same numbers as last year. If they're not here then it's because food is in short supply.

Happily though, it looks like we're on track for a bit of summer now, and that might buck up the natural Eco-system and get it back on track.

At the same time, it's not stopped the slugs getting at the fresh green shoots of everything we're trying to grow in our mini greenhouse and patio space!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A couple more airborne shots, a House Martin and an Oystercatcher

There are several pairs of Oystercatchers at the reserve that have bred, this one was busy visiting the adjacent fields in the hunt for worms for the chicks

post-1477-0-93920000-1370268949_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-12041800-1370269049_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-51174700-1370269050_thumb.jp

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share