Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

That's cos I forgot to post anything Ste! :D

Here you go - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50888123

I hoe this is what you and Tom were referring to - or I'll look a right prat. Again! :(  :D

Peter

:thumbsup:

That's the one Peter, Saved your prattiness mate. Canon are supposed to be making a statement in July.Price is about what I was expecting

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I used to go out with my camera every chance I could, became a massive hobby. Not been upto much with it this year and thought selling it to fund a new one would give me the kick I needed to start it up again, but, I spent the money on records instead haha. I do miss going out with the camera though.

Thanks for the comment, Peter!

Tom

enjoyed them Tom perhaps when you get your new one you could do a few snaps at northern venues regards The old man.

Social source share

Guest TomCaponeHunt

Was thinking of doing that, dad, but there's a guy called Brian Cannon that goes around doing it and wouldn't want to step on his toes! He does a brilliant job, too!

Social source share

Guest TomCaponeHunt

enjoyed them Tom perhaps when you get your new one you could do a few snaps at northern venues regards The old man.

Was thinking of doing that, dad, but there's a guy called Brian Cannon that goes around doing it and wouldn't want to step on his toes! He does a brilliant job, too!

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Tom I notice your looking for a new camera I still have my trusty fujica 605 at home if you need it (it needs film) regards the old man.

Social source share

Martyn. Got the bug but find it so hard to fit everything in, Match fishing, Nighters, Photography.

I,m hoping this new camera body I,m after is going to come in under 2K but will have to wait and see what Canon come up with.

Love the swift pictures mate

Ste

The 7D is a good camera for the wildlife, and is capable of some great results.

Time is always a bugger to find Steve 

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

seals_zps798164b2.jpg

seals1_zpsd96292db.jpg

Captured on a phone this week half a mile from my 'home'! I have seen this family over the past 6 weeks whilst sorting me boat out testing me British Seagull engine and stuff! The Dad is in the second pic! I also see looooads of different 'foreign' birds along 1 mile of this river than I see at a Boot Sale! Amazing shapes....bills and plumes! It's been a joy 'mixing' with it all!x |Over the past 5 years I have had a big white Barn Owl fly 15-20ft away at 30-35 mph as I come home in a Limo at unearthly hours in the night! We have run this Country course several times together as he returns to a disused shed at the end of the fen drove I use as a cut thru! It's been a personal experience that is hard to share/write about....but i'm sure some of you folk can relate to my privilege in seeing our wildlife in such ways....X

LUV
SOOTY
X

...ooops.....he wouldn't forgive me if I din;t give him a plug....here's my mate 'mouse' who shared a 'bolt hole' I had 3 or 4 years back....!x Hand fed him twice and he used to do somersaults into me waste paper bin!! I had Robins nest in me letter box next to the front door too......luv'd it!!!x Nearest neighbours I have had at my homes over the past 6 years have been a mile either side of me minimum.....so I enjoy meeting these local characters.......!!!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph93_qRGX6Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzdEGZLeRkfvIw3TDiAnhKw

Edit.....the seals are 50 miles inland by the way!!!x They come each year to raise their pup/s apparently!!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sad time of year for me. The screams of overhead Swifts have left the Manchester skies for another year, don't seem like 5 minutes ago I was asking on here had anyone seen or heard  them yet.

Steve

Blimey, they've left early haven't they Ste?

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sad note not seen the squirrels for two weeks, the last one I saw was laid in my back garden dying, I think they've been poisoned maybe unintentionally we do have allotments nearby, still sad though I miss the cheeky chaps.

That is sad mate. They may well have been poisoned deliberately too. I'd report it to the council - they won't be bothered about squirrels but other animals could be poisoned too.

Peter

Social source share

I returned this week-end to find a swan...the dad of a family of 2 this year....had been killed by a 15 year old frequenter of our village. He threw a plant pot at it apparently. Me and Abs have watched the 2 kids grow up along the same strip of river as stated in me post re the seals. I waited for this 'youth' to arrive in the village last night. I walked up to him and his 3 'mates'.....he knew I weren't happy about it as I walked towards him and he began  bleating...'Sorry Sooty.....I din't mean......."....and it was as far as he got as me hand gripped his throat and me other hand went around the side of his head....! His head rocked so much it hurt me wrist holding his neck straight. I swivelled his arse and gave him a kick on it as I threw him in the direction of the village he came.....said nowt....and he kept walking. I looked at his 'mates'....they all said in unison 'we din't like what he did either Soot's....'......and I left them saying...'it's our wildlife...village....and environment. If we don't look after it...the Poles won't.' Their attention span lasted until I left. They all seemed relieved that the 'action' had stopped. Job done. RIP the Swan....and squirrels...X

I came to post about a different 'muscle' in this thread...but had to share the swan after reading the squirrel story!x

As a kid living in Hull/Grimsby in the 60's/70's.....my memory's are filled of walking across Cleethorpes...Whitby...Redcar....and east coast sand flats with me nan...grandad....and looads of Uncles and Aunts and cousins....cockelling...winkling and musselling!! I left Grimsby in 1974 and recall the beaches being closed for cockling around that time for the first time due to pollution. The pic below is Hayle Beach in Cornwall. You can ride for miles when the tide is out.....and at the end of the normal beach are these rocks......full....teeming...with fat large British mussels! Home grown stuff.....yet NOBODY picking them.....?! Has those 'bans' on beaches that hit many resorts in the 70's/80's killed off this past time? There is no 'ban' on collecting them at Hayle...they are 'perfect'! But not 1 family....kid.....or Eastern Block person to be found! I went most evenings to get a saucepan full.....saw no one except sunbathers/surfers nearby!!! Don't get me wrong....i'm glad about it as all the big ones are left for me.....but......back in the 60's......you'd have been using your muscle to get the big ones before others did....!hehe!x Like strawberry picking.....mad dash for the biggest init!!!hehe!x

musselweb.jpg

I was in natural ecstasy in this pic....'arrived' sort of! However.....don't be fooled. Look at the left tyre....I wish I had! We stopped....got some mussels.....and began returning along the 3 miles of beach back to the van. The tide was coming in and the sand gets soggy! I began to realise I had a puncture......and by the time I reached the end of the beach....it was flat. It had took me 2 hours to get a 'grip' to that point as it was the drive wheel!! Then....at the end of the 3 mile....there is a steep climb up a sand bank...........and I couldn't get any drive into the wheel! 2 further hours of trying....and exhaustion....darkness....we slept in the van overlooking the quad from the cliff top! We had the mussels on a camp fire overlooking the beach and sunset....luvly. 5am next morning......went down to see about getting it up the hill again! I'd tried Abs's quad to tow it up the hill.....erm....and had burnt her clutch out the night before! So...tried some long run ups from the river estuary....got bogged down a few times...dug meself out.......and then after 4 hours non stop.........9am......my mate the Coastguard arrived on a shiny Big Red.....hooked me up........and we wos sorted in 3 minutes................................sigh. I needed the day to recover.......but after all is said and done....it's the joys of musselling.....!x At least me wrist din't hurt.....!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

....."oh u been away.....how wos the Hotel?!".........sez interested human..........

hotel_zps7e5120dc.jpg

...there were bugs everywhere....no services....reception.....not a person in sight. I couldn't recommend it....or any of the other 10 or so 'resorts' we go to in a year around the UK in the sticks. These places are going back to the middle ages....honestly! I can see why folk stay in 5* resorts around the world init! I done that for 20 years.....and realllllly realllly miss it.......cough.  'Was the weather good?'....naaaa....pi*8ed it down a couple of days.....all we could do was go canoing....surfing....fishing..........and skinny dipping. 'Awwwww wot a shame'. I know sez i......see ya.

@@
~

Some other friends whom I like to associate with when escaping humanity's routines....

Chuck.......found abandoned in one of my bolt holes driveway! Saved.....1-0!x

chuck_zps97043bf7.jpg

Bobbette.....the Robin! Made a nest in me letter box...had 3 babes......all flew off.....wiv a bit of help!x

bobbette_zpsfeb1e46f.jpg

Frodo....lives in me barn for me limo's!

frodo_zps696837d4.jpg

Batman meets monkey boy!!! Found in me window sill asleep....! Forgive me dress and dirty hands Ladies....I was tiling...in me monkey onesie....as u do!x

batman_zps17825447.jpg

......oh....and 'him'.....'Mouse'! We had this friendship see.....I promised I wouldn't forget him...so every time there's 'pet' talk...I have to mention him. We played games together......Where's Mouse?!x

whereize_zps088e0acf.jpg

...a rare find.........some of natures wildest......at rest.....in a bolt hole away from human activity......

noddy_zpsacc97170.jpg

....and this uncaged beast was found walking across a Norfolk fen......!

tigerrr_zps0984a191.jpg

.........blending in.......!x

@@
~

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I returned this week-end to find a swan...the dad of a family of 2 this year....had been killed by a 15 year old frequenter of our village. He threw a plant pot at it apparently. Me and Abs have watched the 2 kids grow up along the same strip of river as stated in me post re the seals. I waited for this 'youth' to arrive in the village last night. I walked up to him and his 3 'mates'.....he knew I weren't happy about it as I walked towards him and he began  bleating...'Sorry Sooty.....I din't mean......."....and it was as far as he got as me hand gripped his throat and me other hand went around the side of his head....! His head rocked so much it hurt me wrist holding his neck straight. I swivelled his arse and gave him a kick on it as I threw him in the direction of the village he came.....said nowt....and he kept walking. I looked at his 'mates'....they all said in unison 'we din't like what he did either Soot's....'......and I left them saying...'it's our wildlife...village....and environment. If we don't look after it...the Poles won't.' Their attention span lasted until I left. They all seemed relieved that the 'action' had stopped. Job done. RIP the Swan....and squirrels...X

I came to post about a different 'muscle' in this thread...but had to share the swan after reading the squirrel story!x

As a kid living in Hull/Grimsby in the 60's/70's.....my memory's are filled of walking across Cleethorpes...Whitby...Redcar....and east coast sand flats with me nan...grandad....and looads of Uncles and Aunts and cousins....cockelling...winkling and musselling!! I left Grimsby in 1974 and recall the beaches being closed for cockling around that time for the first time due to pollution. The pic below is Hayle Beach in Cornwall. You can ride for miles when the tide is out.....and at the end of the normal beach are these rocks......full....teeming...with fat large British mussels! Home grown stuff.....yet NOBODY picking them.....?! Has those 'bans' on beaches that hit many resorts in the 70's/80's killed off this past time? There is no 'ban' on collecting them at Hayle...they are 'perfect'! But not 1 family....kid.....or Eastern Block person to be found! I went most evenings to get a saucepan full.....saw no one except sunbathers/surfers nearby!!! Don't get me wrong....i'm glad about it as all the big ones are left for me.....but......back in the 60's......you'd have been using your muscle to get the big ones before others did....!hehe!x Like strawberry picking.....mad dash for the biggest init!!!hehe!x

musselweb.jpg

I was in natural ecstasy in this pic....'arrived' sort of! However.....don't be fooled. Look at the left tyre....I wish I had! We stopped....got some mussels.....and began returning along the 3 miles of beach back to the van. The tide was coming in and the sand gets soggy! I began to realise I had a puncture......and by the time I reached the end of the beach....it was flat. It had took me 2 hours to get a 'grip' to that point as it was the drive wheel!! Then....at the end of the 3 mile....there is a steep climb up a sand bank...........and I couldn't get any drive into the wheel! 2 further hours of trying....and exhaustion....darkness....we slept in the van overlooking the quad from the cliff top! We had the mussels on a camp fire overlooking the beach and sunset....luvly. 5am next morning......went down to see about getting it up the hill again! I'd tried Abs's quad to tow it up the hill.....erm....and had burnt her clutch out the night before! So...tried some long run ups from the river estuary....got bogged down a few times...dug meself out.......and then after 4 hours non stop.........9am......my mate the Coastguard arrived on a shiny Big Red.....hooked me up........and we wos sorted in 3 minutes................................sigh. I needed the day to recover.......but after all is said and done....it's the joys of musselling.....!x At least me wrist din't hurt.....!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....."oh u been away.....how wos the Hotel?!".........sez interested human..........

hotel_zps7e5120dc.jpg

...there were bugs everywhere....no services....reception.....not a person in sight. I couldn't recommend it....or any of the other 10 or so 'resorts' we go to in a year around the UK in the sticks. These places are going back to the middle ages....honestly! I can see why folk stay in 5* resorts around the world init! I done that for 20 years.....and realllllly realllly miss it.......cough.  'Was the weather good?'....naaaa....pi*8ed it down a couple of days.....all we could do was go canoing....surfing....fishing..........and skinny dipping. 'Awwwww wot a shame'. I know sez i......see ya.

@@

~

Some other friends whom I like to associate with when escaping humanity's routines....

chuck_zps97043bf7.jpg

Bobbette.....the Robin! Made a nest in me letter box...had 3 babes......all flew off.....wiv a bit of help!x

bobbette_zpsfeb1e46f.jpg

frodo_zps696837d4.jpg

Batman meets monkey boy!!! Found in me window sill asleep....! Forgive me dress and dirty hands Ladies....I was tiling...in me monkey onesie....as u do!x

batman_zps17825447.jpg

......oh....and 'him'.....'Mouse'! We had this friendship see.....I promised I wouldn't forget him...so every time there's 'pet' talk...I have to mention him. We played games together......Where's Mouse?!x

whereize_zps088e0acf.jpg

...a rare find.........some of natures wildest......at rest.....in a bolt hole away from human activity......

noddy_zpsacc97170.jpg

tigerrr_zps0984a191.jpg

@@

~

Great stuff Sooty.

Top man.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

homrcomforts_zps1d417df3.jpg

...i've always had an affinity with the natural world Peter...X I go back to basics as often as I can! I've just realised me Northern T shirt was worn that quad night....!x I bought it 10 years ago when making the DVD at Kings Hall. The badge is wonky i realised when getting home....doh.......but I take it with me when going au naturale. It could be camping...fishing....or quadding. It brings me as close to me roots as possible! Lidl helps too!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....no bull...in the last 4 years......the silly cow next to me has made sure I pay more attention to wildlife......she wants to squidge...shooo.......trap.....every 'mate' of mine!!!!!!!!x Screams like a guuuurl when I get her to hold owt.....YEEEEHAAAA!!!!hehe!x

slllycows_zps3dfc0749.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

musselweb.jpg

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

hotel_zps7e5120dc.jpg

@@

~

chuck_zps97043bf7.jpg

bobbette_zpsfeb1e46f.jpg

frodo_zps696837d4.jpg

batman_zps17825447.jpg

whereize_zps088e0acf.jpg

noddy_zpsacc97170.jpg

tigerrr_zps0984a191.jpg

@@

~

Love the camo outfit Sooty, is it to fool colour blind  Zebra so you can sneak up on them and catch em to add to your collection of exotic pets. Love the stories , Keep them coming.

Steve

Social source share

"Love the camo outfit Sooty, is it to fool colour blind  Zebra so you can sneak up on them and catch em to add to your collection of exotic pets. Love the stories , Keep them coming."

Steve

....for me sins Steve....I owned a pub with a good Lady friend several years back called The Zebra!!!x I can't say I ran it b'cos I wos barred....! On the occasion I popped down....(cos I don't drink so it's pointless init?!)......then I would get behind the bar and help the staff serve! Usually a Tuesday night as I did the quiz......my kind! It used to be rammed....but....I always got the biggest queue....indeed other staff would be stood idol whilst folk gladly waited for me to serve them! Here's why.....i'd do the drinks....add a bit on the optic after it'd emptied once....cos it din;t seem a lot and it took ages to wait for the drips to finish.....then if the bill come to say £5.23.....i'd round it off to a fiver.......friendly pub and landlord init?! I got the sack twice....once from the bar Manager and then when she'd grassed me up to me business partner....she barred me too.....!!! I think they wos jealous of me building up a clientelle.......!x I woulda shared me tips but I din;t get any...............!

@@

~

zebrahall_zps8ffaaaf2.jpg

....never got a Zebra onesie.....wear the Devil one quite often tho'....especially when rounding up Hen's @ 3am in the morning......u should hear them 'cluck' when me pitchfork goes up their jacksie.......animals....pah....X

hens_zpsfbb7866a.jpg

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

.....and when talking of 'animals' of a human kind........alllll my experience tells me......a Hen will cause me more grief than a Stag ever will.................I reckon!!!!!!x

Married over 300 of them off......as a DJ or Limo man in me time.......gladly!!!!!hehe!x

....edit!

For the frustrated PMers...hehe!!x

Thereheizzzzz....................!!x

thereheiz_zpsc6e31321.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

I could never compete with Sootys stories but...........heres one bird related story from me:

Years ago I used to live in East Finchley and get the tube to work, East Finchley is the last station on the northern line before it goes underground. Just after I got on and when the doors were still open a sparrow flew in and started flying about (people panicking and flapping about (not just the bird) all over the place).

After a little while it settled next to me and while everyone was holding their breath I slowly grabbed it (superhero style!).

People round me got off, new people got on, new people obviously though I was some kind of weirdo with a pet sparrow that I take for trips out, I also had to change at Euston so had to walk between platforms and get on another train with a bloddy sparrow in my hand, felt a right prat. Tried to explain to onlookers but it just got more awkward.

Got off at Oxford Circus at let it go!

Thats my bird story.

Cheers

S

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks Steve

Since your posting I have noticed that the diving, screeching fellows have also gone from the back of our offices. Well, that's something new which I have learnt about birds. They can only of been here a few months.

Peter

Peter

Swifts normally arrive in the Manchester area in May then leave early August. 3 to 4 months isn't a long time when you consider they have flown from South Africa just to breed, even a good summer like were having cant get them to stay any longer. Sat in my garden having breakfast this morning and heard screaming looked up and there was  12 to 15 swifts flying very high and obviously heading South, they hung around for a few minutes before leaving. Anyone further South still got them around ? Be interesting to hear if they are

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest in town Mikey

Had a couple of rarelt seen visitors to our garden this morning.

2 Great tits and a Siskin. We used to get Siskins but since the first bad winter 3 or so years ago, I don't think we'd seen one.

Also there was what looked like a Wren, but it was so light in colour, it was almost albino. Do Wren's have a lighter winter plumage?

Social source share

Sat in the garden this morning having breakfast when I noticed lots of Swallows flying over in family groups. Heading South to warmer climes. Such a sad time of the year seeing the Swallows depart. Soon be next April when they are gracing our skies once again

Steve

Not seen any for four weeks or so............winter league next month........get them thermals out 

Social source share

Yeah. Me to. Just got my shift dates so will be able to see what ones I can fish

Steve

Out maggot drowning again then Steve  :D

We had 4 Hobby at the reserve last week, 3 of them juveniles they will soon be heading off back to Africa once all the Dragonflies have gone.

Talking of which, a Migrant Hawker from the weekend

post-1477-0-62926500-1380041101_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Out maggot drowning again then Steve  :D

We had 4 Hobby at the reserve last week, 3 of them juveniles they will soon be heading off back to Africa once all the Dragonflies have gone.

Talking of which, a Migrant Hawker from the weekend

attachicon.gif380_065.jpg

Martyn. You know me so well. Cant remember the last time I bought any maggots though, its all pellets these days mores the pity.

Your pics are as always fab. Hope your keeping well my friend and the lovely Carol is still looking after you.

Steve

Social source share