Magnificent Men

Top stuff....gives a real insight into how the music know's no racial boundaries and challenges the views of some people that white artists per se cannot be truly accepted as soul artists.

To be accepted by the black artists and their audiences as being true soul artists at the height of the 1960's racial tensions in the States  really is some accolade. 

Social source share

bit of info on the Marvin  Smith penned track "nobody treats me the way you do" on the World of Soul lp.....which never got released by Marvin or the Artistics......Bob A asked Marvin about it and he never knew it got recorded.....and mebbe it got hawked around by Carl Davis thru Jalynne......im sure Bob could confirm.........

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

Absolutely corking group.

A beach music pal from Winston-Salem NC told me he was off this week to see "Class of 60 Somethin' ", a current group made up of guys from the original Magnificent Men, the Del Chords and Custer's Last Band, still doing the rounds around York (Pennsylvannia) and elsewhere.

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Thanks to Georgeblackwell and Gareth for putting those two clips up,super.I used to have both LPs on them(one of them being very hard to get) it goes to show you dont have to be black to sing(but it does help) for me one of the best all white groups not forgetting The Embers.Brill.....

Social source share

bit of info on the Marvin  Smith penned track "nobody treats me the way you do" on the World of Soul lp.....which never got released by Marvin or the Artistics......Bob A asked Marvin about it and he never knew it got recorded.....and mebbe it got hawked around by Carl Davis thru Jalynne......im sure Bob could confirm.........

I believe that David Bupp stated in an interview that The Magnificent Men got to do some work with Carl Davis.  So, he may well, himself, have suggested that they sing that song.

Social source share

The Magnificent Men were 'making waves' by early 1966.

"Peace of Mind" escaped on a Capitol 45 around March 66 and other Capitol 45's soon followed. As they were so good plus a 'blue-eyed soul' outfit they were getting loads of publicity and starring on the chiltlin circuit from 1966 right through 1968 and beyond.

Their late December 1966 45 track "Stormy Weather" (the old standard song) got loads of radio plays & sold well enough for it to become a feature track on the group's 1st LP which was issued in February 67. 

........... so the group had a 'very high profile' by Feb 67 ....... AND YET ....

..... at the end of January 67, Wilson Pickett was still making live appearances with his (then) backing band, the Magnificent Men.

Wilson was also 'ever present' on the chitlin circuit, so he must have been aware of the other Magnificent Men.

Wilson had renamed his backing band the Midnight Movers by July 68 when he had his big hit 45 "I'm A Midnight Mover" (anyone know if the Magnificent Men were just renamed the Midnight Movers or if was a different outfit altogether ?) ........

..... but surely the situation (two sets of Magnificent Men) being advertised at the same venues for around 12 to 18 months must have caused a whole load of confusion back then.

post-22122-0-16184600-1367054069_thumb.j

Social source share

I have a fantastic copy of Babe, I'm crazy about you and Forever together on a nice purple German capitol with a picture sleeve bought for £2 quid about 10 years ago - on one side it has a sticker with 'Unverkaufliche Musterplatte' on it - translated this means 'unsaleable pattern plate' - strange!

Love the 'together forever' side

Adam

Social source share

Useless information time, there's a really good UK cover version of "Peace Of Mind" by local (to me) band Zuider Zee which came out on CBS in 66.  It's not as good as the MM version but it is well worth a listen.  Quite an obscure one.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bazooka joe

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I currently live just outside of York, PA and I DJ with my wife as The Thing With Two Heads. I stumbled upon this post and really dug the clip up top. Can any of you let me know what the song is that starts at 3:26, and if it's an album cut or a 45? Despite the Mag Men's local legend I've never picked up one of their records since I like my soul raw and crunchy for the most part. But THAT song sounded just right for one of my "loungey-er" gigs.

Thanks!

Social source share

We could do with a 'new' decent Mag Men compilation CD .......... Collectables put a CD on the group out in the US about 20 years back .....

..... BUT we need a decent one put together by a real soul fan. 

Where's Ian Dewhirst or Ady when you need them ????

Social source share

Yet to be mentioned and imo, best track by the group - 'All your lovin's gone to my head'. Massive at the Fleet in 85. I bought my copy then from Dave Evison. Also available on UK.

Absolutely brilliant track, good choice mate.

It's a B side on UK issue.  

Social source share

Absolutely corking group.

A beach music pal from Winston-Salem NC told me he was off this week to see "Class of 60 Somethin' ", a current group made up of guys from the original Magnificent Men, the Del Chords and Custer's Last Band, still doing the rounds around York (Pennsylvannia) and elsewhere.

Check out Custer's Last Band on Youtube - a passable Dig You Act and Showdown amongst the selections available if you enjoy blue -eyed soul bands

Social source share

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I currently live just outside of York, PA and I DJ with my wife as The Thing With Two Heads. I stumbled upon this post and really dug the clip up top. Can any of you let me know what the song is that starts at 3:26, and if it's an album cut or a 45? Despite the Mag Men's local legend I've never picked up one of their records since I like my soul raw and crunchy for the most part. But THAT song sounded just right for one of my "loungey-er" gigs.

Thanks!

That song is "Maybe, Maybe, Baby" which is the flip side to "I've Got News" on a Capitol 45.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this one from the "World Of Soul" album

Magnificent Men - It's Got To Be Love - Capitol Album

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!