Tom Jones - Tv Show

45cellar

Tom Jones TV Show during the 60's / 70's

I seem to remember Tom singing with Wilson Pickett.

One of the few white artists that could survive, during such a performance.

Can anyone remember any other soul artists on his show.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tom Jones TV Show during the 60's / 70's

I seem to remember Tom singing with Wilson Pickett.

One of the few white artists that could survive, during such a performance.

Can anyone remember any other soul artists on his show.

He definitely had Aretha Franklin on. I'll come back to you with others as I remember them!

We have to give Tom a lot of credit for bringing his favourite artists into our homes on prime time TV. He picked all of his guests himself, doubtless to the horror of executives who would rather he'd had the same old UK artists that used to crop up on every other show, like Shirley Bassey (actually I think Tom might have had Shirl' on, so that wasn't perhaps the best of examples - but you know what I mean!)

TONE :unsure:

Social source share

Seen TJ perform at the Apollo, done "Any Day Now" crediting Chuck Jackson as a main influence of his style. Then spent the rest of the night getting pished with the good folk of Harlem. The boozer we were in was called Paris Blues, my mate reckoned it was our duty to go there when we seen the place, went into the bar and asked if the place was named after the Tony Middleton song...."Never heard of him" was the barmaids answer.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

On the American show This is Tom Jones he had Richard Prior as a guest but ony two "soul" acts the 5th Dimension and Stevie Wonder. Of course his producers were picking the guests.

...As I said before, "This Is Tom Jones" was a UK TV show, mostly filmed in colour at Elstree Studios. It ran from 1969-71, and used to go out here on LWT around 10PM on a Sunday night. I always used to try to make a point of staying in to watch, if there was a soul act on. I can actually remember the Smokey Robinson appearance - it was the first time I'd seen him, other than on LP covers - and I think he sang "Abraham, Martin And John". I'm only surprised that I couldn't remember a few more of who was on impromptu, without having to look it up.

So, if I may quote from an official Tom Jones website:

"The (TV) show's location was split between London and Los Angeles, and included an impressive roster largely suggested by Tom:

Aretha Franklin, Burt Bacharach, Elvis and Priscilla Presley, The Triorchy Male Voice Choir, Stevie Wonder, Anne Bancroft, June and Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Bob Hope, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Who, Ella Fitzgerald, Kirk Douglas, Elliot Gould, Janis Joplin, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, Dick Cavett, Richard Pryor, Roy Clark, Phyllis Diller, Nancy Wilson, Debbie Reynolds, Tony Newley, Sammy Davis, Jr., Juliet Prowse, Paul Anka, Ray Charles, Lou Rawls, Tony Bennett, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, George Carlin, Robert Klein, Dick Shawn, Little Richard, Peter Sellers, Bee Gee's, Sonny & Cher, Wilson Pickett, The Hollies, Joni Mitchell, Smokey Robinson, The Supremes and Joe Cocker and The Grease Band were but a few of the guests involved"...

...I've underlined guests that are of more interest to sourcers. I believe that all the TITJ shows survive in the Grade Organisation's archive. The audio tracks are the source of all those cheap "Tom Jones Duets" CDs you find in supermarkets and gas stations...

So much for two soul acts and his producers picking the guests, then...

Social source share

He definitely had Aretha Franklin on. I'll come back to you with others as I remember them!

We have to give Tom a lot of credit for bringing his favourite artists into our homes on prime time TV. He picked all of his guests himself, doubtless to the horror of executives who would rather he'd had the same old UK artists that used to crop up on every other show, like Shirley Bassey (actually I think Tom might have had Shirl' on, so that wasn't perhaps the best of examples - but you know what I mean!)

I know that I am about to answer my own post here but I didn't realise until I had posted that this link existed - https://www.txhighlands.com/titjepisodes.htm

It was the post on "Stop Breaking My Heart" that got me thinking.

Some artists here;

Nancy Wilson, Bobby Goldsboro, Leslie Uggams, Barbara McNair, Eloise Laws, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Supremes.

Eloise Laws - Night Owl (Is it the same song)?

or

Bobby Goldsboro - I'm A Drifter ?

Ella Fitzgerald, of course Aretha as previously mentioned by Tony

I wonder if the shows still exist or are available.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know that I am about to answer my own post here but I didn't realise until I had posted that this link existed - https://www.txhighlands.com/titjepisodes.htm

It was the post on "Stop Breaking My Heart" that got me thinking.

Some artists here;

Nancy Wilson, Bobby Goldsboro, Leslie Uggams, Barbara McNair, Eloise Laws, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Supremes.

Eloise Laws - Night Owl (Is it the same song)?

or

Bobby Goldsboro - I'm A Drifter ?

Ella Fitzgerald, of course Aretha as previously mentioned by Tony

I wonder if the shows still exist or are available.

Rog' -

we must have been posting at the same time - see above!

TONE :D

Social source share

Rog' -

we must have been posting at the same time - see above!

TONE :D

TONE

I can't believe we did that, I had just been searching the net and found the site - posted - and read your reply ............... Brilliant!

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Seen TJ perform at the Apollo, done "Any Day Now" crediting Chuck Jackson as a main influence of his style. Then spent the rest of the night getting pished with the good folk of Harlem. The boozer we were in was called Paris Blues, my mate reckoned it was our duty to go there when we seen the place, went into the bar and asked if the place was named after the Tony Middleton song...."Never heard of him" was the barmaids answer.

:ohmy: Bimbos no doubt! doubtless before there time !

Social source share

...As I said before, "This Is Tom Jones" was a UK TV show, mostly filmed in colour at Elstree Studios. It ran from 1969-71, and used to go out here on LWT around 10PM on a Sunday night. I always used to try to make a point of staying in to watch!

Aretha Franklin, Burt Bacharach, Elvis and Priscilla Presley, The Triorchy Male Voice Choir, Stevie Wonder, Anne Bancroft, June and Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Bob Hope, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Who, Ella Fitzgerald, Kirk Douglas!!!!!

Yes remember this show -

Back in the days when the (Whole family) sat round the box-Including me Gran & Grandpapi! Tom would get his Dickie off and swing his tux round and round before flinging it up in the air, then he'd rip a few buttons of his shirt exposing his torso and thats when all the girlies ripped there knickers off and threw them at his face!! :ohmy:

I think lots of women were throwing there draws at tom sat watching at home trying to teleport them through the Logy Baird!!

Think i remember Grandpapi doing his nut everyweek cause me Gran never missed it! :shhh: All the women turned on for Tom( thats a fact! )

Anyway i wonder what Little gems Kirk Douglas has on his flipsides! :ohmy:

Social source share

This is the guest list for the 1969 US series This is Tom Jones

George Burns / Dave Clark Five / John Davidson / Sally Ann Howes

Stevie Wonder / The Hollies / Shani Wallace / Pat Paulsen

Sonny & Cher / Herman's Hermits / Henry Gibson / Esther Ofarim / Cleo Laine

The Who / Pat Paulsen / Fran Jeffries / Mireille Mathieu

Juliet Prowse / The 5th Dimension / Mireille Mathieu

Mary Hopkin / Moody Blues / Richard Pryor / Joey Heatherton

Herman's Hermits / Davy Jones / Nancy Wilson / Mireille Mathieu

Lynn Redgrave / Bee Gees / Lulu / Sergio Mendes

Shirley Jones / Dusty Springfield / E. Humperdinck / Foundations

Mary Hopkin / Paul Anka / George Carlin / Arthur Brown / Georgia Brown

Dave Clark Five / Mama Cass Elliot / George Carlin / Massiel

Barbara Eden / Jerry Lee Lewis / Chet Atkins / Rich Little / Salena Jones

Judy Carne / Jo Anne Worley / Anita Harris

Donovan / Bobby Goldsboro / Lainie Kazan / Jo Anne Worley / Godfrey Cambridge

The Who / Pat Paulsen / Fran Jeffries / Mireille Mathieu

Sonny & Cher / Herman's Hermits / Henry Gibson / Esther Ofarim / Cleo Laine

Stevie Wonder / The Hollies / Shani Wallace / Pat Paulsen

George Burns / Dave Clark Five / John Davidson / Sally Ann Howes

Sammy Davis Jr. / Jo Anne Worley

I'm counting three soul artists including Joey Hetherington. Godfrey Cambridge is more of a soul act than Nancy Wilson, Salena Jones and Sammy Davis put together. I acknowledge that Tom had more input to his shows than say Sooty but looking at the above, experienced variety show producers put the bills together for family entertainment. Tom may have been more interested in meeting some good shags. Somebody was obviously seeing Mirrielle Mathieu given the number of her appearances.

mireille10.jpg

Social source share

Guest scratuglia

Didn't he have a series in the 80's? Seem to remember it was filmed in Canada. I believe that's when the duets were filmed/recorded.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Maybe not in 1969 but sure Dionne Warrick was on his show and sang with him, now where is the cd with song on it sure i seen it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!