Best Bootleg From The 70's That Fooled You ?

OK So whats the best looking boot from the 70's that actually made you thought you had bought a real one ??.

Ill start of with Frank Beverley on liberty bell, as the ootp looked very much a boot, when that the liberty bell started to do the rounds it was a good effort to deceive  !!

Come on Chaps !!

post-28070-0-76203800-1366646307_thumb.j

Social source share

If you bought the things at the time then none of them should have fooled you.

Clue number one, you could buy them in your local shops, clue number two, they cost 75p to £1.25...

But......... if a "dealer" says i only paid 10 cents for it, give us a quid ???????? lol

Social source share

When I bought this I hadn't seen too many Imports. Somehow it looked the part.

Possibly the colour similar to the Ric-Tic records that I had seen.

Plus at the time I didn't know that it was on Riverside

TRU-GLO-TOWN_TGT-7005-A_.gifTRU-GLO-TOWN_TGT-7005-B_.gif

But the story was, this is the first local label, that actually did happen back then so it was a lot less hassle to take £1.25 off some poor sod !!

Social source share

If you bought the things at the time then none of them should have fooled you.

Clue number one, you could buy them in your local shops, clue number two, they cost 75p to £1.25...

Trouble was that some Originals had arrived via places like Bradford Market.

They were mixed in with these Boots at our local shop at times.

I missed an original Duke Browner on Impact for a little more than the pressings were sold.

Social source share

I missed an original Duke Browner on Impact for a little more than the pressings were sold.

Sorry, was just going by my own experience.  We had Graduate (later Sundown), Ruby Red, Peps, Max Millwards, all carried new imports and Selectadisc pressings etc, even our local HMV sold things like Tainted Love.

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Sorry, was just going by my own experience.  We had Graduate (later Sundown), Ruby Red, Peps, Max Millwards, all carried new imports and Selectadisc pressings etc, even our local HMV sold things like Tainted Love.

Wasn't there a case Selectadisc versus the world?

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

I have no idea what you are on about.

The Yum Yums surfaced alongside with Eddie Regan at that time via a small ad in Blues and Soul.

Social source share

Until I found Soul Bowl and Global Records It was a bit of a lottery at our Local record shop though it did turn up some goodies.

One that I remember was my Stock Copy of The Charades on M-G-M, came in through Bradford Market I guess.

Social source share

I was taken in by a green Salvadors boot - but it was  one of the headline dj's so I thought it would be ok!

Yum Yums on ABC.

But some years later someone tried to have me over with a YUM Yums - he thought it was a boot and I wouldn't know the difference, but I knew better, and Rob Smith was there with a real boot for reference - so that made up for the earlier error...£7, that will do nicely!

Social source share

yeah, remember it well, Bostocks Record stall in john st market,..an Alladins cave to be sure..

Social source share

I was taken in by a green Salvadors boot - but it was  one of the headline dj's so I thought it would be ok!

But some years later someone tried to have me over with a YUM Yums - he thought it was a boot and I wouldn't know the difference, but I knew better, and Rob Smith was there with a real boot for reference - so that made up for the earlier error...£7, that will do nicely!

The green boots were almost perfect. And you never see them now so there wouldn't be many pressed up.

Social source share

Golden Disc in Oldham & Spin Inn on Cross Street Manchester had a new batch of pressings every week or so of stuff that was getting played at the time. 

Social source share

Picture this, 15years old, no google back then !! and i'm flicking thru a box, found one i was after, on joker with 2 other tracks on it £3, great i thought, but i knew it was a re press with limited knowledge, however further flicking thru and this appeared for the same price tag £3, oh great i'll have the original then , little did i know it was a soussan masterpiece !!

Still ain't got a palmer, or the soul galore anymore !! the joys of being 15 eh !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Living on the south coast in the early 70s I had no idea what was an original or a pressing.

I knew that some 'imports' were pressings, although whether they were legitimate or not never crossed my mind.

From Selectadisc I got originals of 'Prepared To Love You', Cissy Houston 'Bring Him Back', Roy Handy, Bob Relf and lot more. But I got just as many boots including the Frank Beverley shown at the top of this post.

I bought Duke Browner on a  trip to Record Corner in Balham (which supposedly never sold boots) — and that was the dark red, off centre job which was almost unplayable.

The penny dropped when we started buying from Groove City/Soul Bowl lists.

Social source share

The green boots were almost perfect. And you never see them now so there wouldn't be many pressed up.

And the PR that would have been a giveaway had been transformed into something else - so I don't feel too bad! But there were several things of that calibre that were done around the same time, some people probably still think they have originals of  some of those things i.e. Anderson Bros/Dave Newman too I thnk.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!