The Loft

News: Richie Havens Rip

Richie doing "I Can't Make It Anymore" live at Woodstock in 1970 ......

... he was also a big hit at the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival (see piccy below) ......

He mainly sang songs that had a personal meaning to him, wonder what he was recalling when he sang this song ....

post-22122-0-36282800-1366691963_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt

Ah, that's rotten news, I've been collecting his music since the Mixed Bag LP in 1967. I Can't Make it Anymore is one to be played every time you're having a bad one; it's up there in my top 5 sad songs. He defied categories too; I never knew where the hell to put his singles!

I can now also kick myself senseless for missing him at the Jazz Cafe not that long ago. I'll add it to Temps at the Talk Of The Town and Love at the Roundhouse for colossal errors of judgement. We should see these people every chance we get.

As the first act on stage, he held that crowd at Woodstock for over three hours apparently. The delay was due to other musicians/bands  arriving late or dealing with the effects of bad acid. The Sometimes I Feel Like Motherless Child/Freedom encore was totally improvised. A unique talent. RIP Richie...

I can now also kick myself senseless for missing him at the Jazz Cafe not that long ago. I'll add it to Temps at the Talk Of The Town and Love at the Roundhouse for colossal errors of judgement. We should see these people every chance we get.

Ady,

You will hate me for rubbing it in, but the jazz cafe gig was great! He was unique.

what a completely immense & unique talent, like adey says, difficult to pigeonhole, he traversed many styles. dumbfounded when i first heard "i cant make it anymore", such an unsoulful yet unerringly, fascinating  take on something i suppose many of us took for granted as a detroit record by nature, yet there are his credentials...and laterly, freedom, but by monica which, if i remember correct i first heard sam play at the ritz some 12 years ago, a raucous version but a homage, nevertheless, to the man and how his influence was taken on board. richie havens obviously meant so much to so many people in different but eventual, universal ways.....heaven now holdeth riches beyond compare,...r.i.p. to an enlightened mind.

Ah, that's rotten news, I've been collecting his music since the Mixed Bag LP in 1967. I Can't Make it Anymore is one to be played every time you're having a bad one; it's up there in my top 5 sad songs. He defied categories too; I never knew where the hell to put his singles!

I find him easy to categorize.................BRILLIANT

before anyone comments, please forgive me when i say i didn't mean it lacked soul, it dosn't sound like a soul record in the sense of what the majority of us have been brought up with i.e. northern soul, but we all know it was taken away by someone equally  well respected and another hero to boot, spyder turner, and given the terra shirma treatment. richie, however does express his feeling so eloquently in the song, it really does impress upon a person just what he's going through and how it relates to people in all walks of life, when they've been in the position he's describing. the wonderful broadening of horizons on this scene has seen this particular song come full circle and be accepted in its own right as a classic, but more importantly, by the author. 

Guest Decroco

Picked up a UK demo of 'there's a hole in the future' for £8 a few weeks ago, a class act, will be very sadly missed.

Picked up a UK demo of 'there's a hole in the future' for £8 a few weeks ago, a class act, will be very sadly missed.

I got a uk demo for about a  five a few years ago. Great fusion of soul, folk and calypso.

Had the pleasure to see him live a number of times and was at the Jazz cafe a few years ago... I was at the front and inbetween songs there was a moments silence and i shouted  " i can't make it anymore " Richie looked at me and said he aint played that song in many many years... He then messed about with his guitar and chords and then played the song, a magic experience i will never forget, my mate was going to see him the next night and was excited when i told him  i had got my request, he never played it the next night and i aint heard him play it since in quite a few gigs..... I was given the 45 on Verve Forcast as a 40th birthday present and it will stay with me forever....

This is the flipside on the 45.. A voice so rich it touched my heart..... x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJMDnHD5Qs

I remember Matt from Gloucester playing I Can't Make it Anymore at a Boogaloo Soul a couple of years ago. I hadn't heard it before but it was stand out tune that night and I got the Mixed Bag album off ebay the next day. 

Just been listening to his Live At the Cellar Door and Santa Monica Auditorium album on Spotify which is top notch. Remarkable performances. He was a superb guitarist too - he used open tunings and had a unique strumming style. 

RIP

Edited by autumnstoned

A true soulful legend....!!!.....My introduction to this wonderful voice was....!!!.... watching a "Woodstock " dvd.....Wow that man could sing & play that guitar.....He made his fingers bleed playing it....!!!.....So much passion.......Iam sure the angels will be initiating you too the music scene in heaven ^0^ R.I.P xxx 

the wonderful broadening of horizons on this scene has seen this particular song come full circle and be accepted in its own right as a classic, but more importantly, by the author. 

The song was actually written by Canadian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot who never recorded it, though I would have thought there must be a demo somewhere, I would LOVE to hear that. There was an unusual story as to why he hadn't recorded it I think. RIP Richie

Oh Blood Hell! was just playing his stuff the other night- I can understand people having difficulty categorising him but as somene else said- Just brilliant and an absolute unique talent! I Pulled out his Polydor 45 What about me just a couple of nights ago and for some reason stared at it_ Spooky!

Very sad indeed

The Last Word on Radio 4 is going to have a slot on him now!

9pm tonight - it's on now  :yes:

It's an 'obituary' programme and features several people each week.

Richard

Is there anyplace i can go to hear that radio show Richard.....  How as it....

Also this great version, so many great songs

http://youtu.be/CutmpI2UhZg

first time I heard this was the first record played as the terrace opened at space. Big piano intro , drum roll and Ritchie,s unmistakeable tone. The place went ballistic, I,goin,"This is bloody RITCHIE HAVENS, and my girlfriends goin,"yeah," Havent you heard this??". Took the opportunity to see him a few years ago after missing him repeatedly in London. had tears in me eyes for the first four tunes. he was mesmeric.Such a modest, humble guy with no pretensions.I,m glad I got to see him live

Guest enchantedrythm

rip Ritchie, always remembered

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.