Time Matters

Guest manusf3a

Guest manusf3a

As a fairly new returner tothe scene having attended a few all nighters to me the times seem to still take a bit of adjusting to,now with the six o clock finish and the often nine o clock start the night before this still makes an all nighter of nine hours,compared to the average eight when last I used to go but as like muscle memory even after a very long gap I have psychological memory of start at one or two in the morning and finish at eight.When it comes to six it feels a bit strange thinking ,thats it!,before five oclock would be the nighter peaking and really starting to buzz(the good ones)floor packed,now its only an hour till doors close,of course I am happy to say the venues Ive been to so far have seen choca floors but at different times of the night,I suppose I am getting and will get more used to things as they are now.Out of curiosity when did the six o clock ending times start as I quit around 1981 for various reasons.There being a bar open till four is also new to me but I can understand this as it makes it easier to rent somewhere as they will be after bar profits and to tell the truth the only drunken spoiler antics I have seen so far were at a local soul night that finished at two and they were dealt with swiftly and ,ahem firmly.

Is there now a sort of third option between the all nighter and the soul night,one where you travel to attend get there at the start and stay till about four when the bar closes and then either make your way home or easier still go to your rented hotel room to sleep it off,opening times certainly make this a viable option for those who want to do just that.!

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest manusf3a

A six finish means i am going out less as i can not drive in the past i would have hanged around a train station for an hour

I dont drive either ,so I see what you mean.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Most finish at 3 even though they go on til  6......because the wrong kind of music is played at this time.....which in a nut shell kills it!.Most promoters   1 don,t care  2  don,t notice (some gone home by then) 3  don,t know how to cure it   (even if they'd noticed)...so some times 6 o,clock is far to long....atb tezza........how ya doing anyway mate :thumbsup:  :)  :D

Social source share

Most finish at 3 even though they go on til  6......because the wrong kind of music is played at this time.....which in a nut shell kills it!.Most promoters   1 don,t care  2  don,t notice (some gone home by then) 3  don,t know how to cure it   (even if they'd noticed)...so some times 6 o,clock is far to long....atb tezza........how ya doing anyway mate :thumbsup:  :)  :D

Don't do many all nighters these days, but, Do promoters bugger off before the end ??

Social source share

I think the 6am finish at the 100 Club is due to Westminster council's licensing policy. Probably the same elsewhere in the country. I know people like Keith Money and Dave Rimmer have long waits for their trains home. Living in London it's not too bad travelling back at that time, although I'm not keen on night buses earlier on.

I was at Lifeline (which finishes at 7am) a couple of years ago, and we wanted to get a taxi back to Wolverhampton at about 5. It was impossible, no one wanted to come out to the Stables, fortunately we got a lift otherwise we'd have been hanging around for ages.

Many of the companies that run public transport in this country still seems to think everyone goes home by midnight at the latest. Time for a rethink.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Still  keeping well mate

Social source share

Hi Manus,

In answer to your question - Yes, there is a now a 3rd option. I personally think starting Nighters at 9.00pm discourages people from staying until the end because 8 hours is more than plenty for most people. The 100 Club used to start at 1.30am until 8.00am, and most danced to the very last record - If nighters started at midnight, we might even see a queue once again!

I can see why promoters have done this early start though, as some of those that do the ‘early shift’ simply wouldn’t come if an event started too late. I don’t like the fact that these ‘Early Birds’ are sometimes ridiculed simply because they don’t stay until the end - At least they attend. Obvious factors of this, is that people have now got ‘grown up’ stuff to do, so simply can’t do Nighters as they once did, with some not wanting to anyway - instead preferring to book a hotel.

All these points have ‘thinned out’ some Nighters. Considering the ‘Double Shift’, and the point about public transport, I don’t know what the answer is, 1.00am — 7.00am? At least there could be a nice ‘build up’ at a warm up do down the road, then off to ‘part 2’ - The Nighter!

……What time did the ‘Nighter’ round my house finish mate? :D 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Hi Manus,

In answer to your question - Yes, there is a now a 3rd option. I personally think starting Nighters at 9.00pm discourages people from staying until the end because 8 hours is more than plenty for most people. The 100 Club used to start at 1.30am until 8.00am, and most danced to the very last record - If nighters started at midnight, we might even see a queue once again!

I can see why promoters have done this early start though, as some of those that do the ‘early shift’ simply wouldn’t come if an event started too late. I don’t like the fact that these ‘Early Birds’ are sometimes ridiculed simply because they don’t stay until the end - At least they attend. Obvious factors of this, is that people have now got ‘grown up’ stuff to do, so simply can’t do Nighters as they once did, with some not wanting to anyway - instead preferring to book a hotel.

All these points have ‘thinned out’ some Nighters. Considering the ‘Double Shift’, and the point about public transport, I don’t know what the answer is, 1.00am — 7.00am? At least there could be a nice ‘build up’ at a warm up do down the road, then off to ‘part 2’ - The Nighter!

……What time did the ‘Nighter’ round my house finish mate? :D 

All the best,

Pretty late but it was a very good one mate, one to seven could be the answer as its nearer to two to eight but it would be a more dance dedicated  til;l the final whistle like you say about the hundered club,who knows maybe someone wants to find a farmer like of "Bletsoe days",to go underground again!My mate was remarking on saturday as like Terry has said they seem to play the wrong type of sounds  from three to six,anyway looking forward to seeing you again at the next soul in the bowl

Social source share

Earlier starts are down to Venues... they want people in as early as possible so that they can have decent bar sales.

Yes absolutely right, and makes sense of course. I used to like it when an evening event (of any nature) ended, a quick clear up, then the Nighter started - Hence the queue! :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The only 2 that i know both work for the same franchise,when the money stops comin over the counter they leave :yes: .

Are they in burton on trent?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!