O'jays Time To Get Down

I love this track which I posted on my You Tube Channel. it's had over 27,000 hits because the tune is evidently used in a KFC commercial in the US. It seems to generate several comments too - here's a selection.

old school backyard bbq music! 

one of the chillest songs ever

luvit

We'll take two chicken pot pies

smooooooooth

Brings back a flood of memories from my teen year's, in the "South Bronx" N.Y.

Big "Fro's, Bell-bottom pants", living the "Soul Train life" on the real, every day!

That black guy in the "KFC" commercial.

That was me, and every black man, and boy in America!

We loved each other strongly as a people, were proud of our unique-ness,and we changed the world!

This was the "soundtrack of our lives!"

For those of us who remember those day's, this would be the

"Back-yard BBQ" music, if ever I heard it!

I know someone that's "playin' with feelings!" ( lol)

Seems the commercial sent almost everyone here. My mom had this album when I was a kid and am VERY familiar with this song. Nostalgic. She loved these guys, War, Santana, Earth, Wind and Fire, Teddy Pendergras, Jerry Butler and a whole slew of others. Maybe some of the names I've named here will bring back memories or go find and listen to them yourself. Enjoy!

I love, love, love this song.....This music makes you feel like you don't have a care in the world....Music back then was so free feeling. ....thanks to the commerical for bring it back!

We jammed to this classic back in the day. And that commerrcial cracks me up. LOL. But I still can't figure out how 3 guys can sound like a choir. These brothers are just awesome!!!!

Ah The Sound of Philadelphia ... nothing like it!

Oh well, any excuse to share this track

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Guest Polyvelts

Best thing about you tube comments ( on soul tracks anyway ) is stuff put up by Americans reminiscing on what the music means to them personally, and also the shared experience and gratitude of the uk fans for the music that blends in with it. Even comments from young music fans about which track it was sampled on etc I find interesting (to a certain degree!)

It's all great stuff.

For the record, as a 17 year old I used to hammer this track at home thinking 'why isn't this played at all nighters', whole lp is seminal !

992 arguments ! Killer track !!!

Social source share

Fully agree. One of my all time favourite records. Bought it as a new release  after hearing it at my local Soul Club, the Charade in Rotherham. 

Took me a few months to track down a R/W Demo, but I did, eventually, and no matter how many records go through my hands its one I'll never part with.

Absolute class.

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Best thing about you tube comments ( on soul tracks anyway ) is stuff put up by Americans reminiscing on what the music means to them personally, and also the shared experience and gratitude of the uk fans for the music that blends in with it. Even comments from young music fans about which track it was sampled on etc I find interesting (to a certain degree!)

It's all great stuff.

For the record, as a 17 year old I used to hammer this track at home thinking 'why isn't this played at all nighters', whole lp is seminal !

992 arguments ! Killer track !!!

Just had a listen to 992 Arguments - Like it! The flip of Time To Get Down is Shifty Shady Jealous Kind Of People which aint too shabby either. Release date on the demo says June 1973 . I was nearly 13 then so missed out first time around.  I've only heard it played out once at Norwich Backstreet Soul Club by veteran soul DJ Kev Laws. 

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Fully agree. One of my all time favourite records. Bought it as a new release  after hearing it at my local Soul Club, the Charade in Rotherham. 

Took me a few months to track down a R/W Demo, but I did, eventually, and no matter how many records go through my hands its one I'll never part with.

Absolute class.

Sean

I found the demo in the clip on Portobello Market a couple of years ago. Paid £7.00 for it ( sticker is still on the sleeve ) which i was well chuffed with. One of my best finds and like you i wouldn't part with it.

Cheers

mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was MASSIVE as a new release Mike at my local club and I still play it often when out and about (some might say too often  :wicked:).

True Quality is Everlasting.

Sean

Surely there's no such thing as "Too often" for an O'Jays track Sean? Especially that one!

Social source share

Absolute class.

Sean

Hi Sean

I hoppe you and yours are well my friend.

Whats on the flip of the demo?

Thanks

Peter

:wink:

Social source share

Hi Sean

I hoppe you and yours are well my friend.

Whats on the flip of the demo?

Thanks

Peter

:wink:

Hi mate,

It's 'Shiftless, Shady, Jealous Kinda People" - same as on the issue and the US copy.

Good record it is too, in the 'Backstabbers' vein.

Hope that you are well too Peter.

I haven't forgotten that I owe you something!  :0)

Cheers buddy,

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!