What A Cracking Tune - Pity It Doesn't Get Played Anymore

JimK

A Revolution???  There's one this Friday.. :thumbsup:

But, you're right, if everyone that said they wanted to to hear something other than the well worn would turn up we'd all have a lock out.

Nevertheless...It's still more fun to have 40 or 50 in that want to listen than 300 that can't or won't.

Just an observation - I've seen many posts by guys putting on 'Under Played' nights, stating things like…."We only get around 40 in, but we'll keep going each month"

I know a 'well done' is in order for trying to do what you all do, as this part of the Scene is extremely difficult to make a successes, but surely the same 'rule' applies with ref to 'what we all agree on, but no one is doing anything about' - Don't put so many on.....if 5 x 'under played' events customers (40) went to the same event, there would be 200 people = Great music AND great atmosphere!......

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the ol…..“I'd rather 40 like-minded people, over 200 others”…..to a point, but come on - sometimes there’s not much atmosphere even with 40 (so called) ‘Right’ people.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Disagree Len.Sometimes 40 in a small intimate venue creates a night with a buzz.

The problem is that the "underplayed" tag has run its course.there's been so many of them over the last 6 years....that its come full circle.Slipping in overplayed tunes to supplement.And of course "underplayed" only suits so many people - hence a smaller venue suffices.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

some one will surely make jackie moore a massive oldie again.

Or flip Jackie Moore over and play "Clean Up Your Own Yard" superb little dancer IMVFHO

John

Social source share

Sammy Cambell - I Never Thought

Bobby Moore - Chained To Your Heart

Anthony & the Aqua Lads - I Remember

Lulu - There Has Got To Be a Way (Drizabone Mix) 

Herman Hitson - Love Slipped Thru My Fingers

Ivan Mateus - Somebody Knows How You Feel

Isaac Hayes - Disco Connection

Judy Clay - Since You Came Along

Tony Middleton - Spanish Maiden 

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

some great tracks...a few being played down here in the sw but then some ive put back in the box and still been guilty of not playing...so many tunes and so little time..but having a monthly nite does mean im always trawling through the shelves picking out things ive not heard out for a while..id get bored playing the same thing let alone our regulars! and as i cant afford the next big thing or the BIG overplayed classics its something i not only enjoy doing but have to..underplayed alongside the cheaper lesser known

one from me then....anyone playing this blue eyed thing at the moment?..ive not heard it down here

https://youtu.be/hcRPiqc8pCU

dean

Great track that - I actually have the original studio acetate of it - but I think it's the same cut

Social source share

The reason why record's are forgotten is that djs do not know them and the dancers just want the same classics

That's not strictly true. A lot of DJs will only play really rare records, some (if not most) of those "forgottenies" tend to be on the cheapish

side.  :yes:

Social source share

Disagree Len.Sometimes 40 in a small intimate venue creates a night with a buzz.

The problem is that the "underplayed" tag has run its course.there's been so many of them over the last 6 years....that its come full circle.Slipping in overplayed tunes to supplement.And of course "underplayed" only suits so many people - hence a smaller venue suffices.

:hatsoff2:

I did say ‘sometimes’, because I have also been to some great nights like those (also to some very bad ones) I was just saying that if the monthly ones went down to 3 or 4 a year, these ‘40 attendees’ each month venues would attract more people, and get even better (than they already are)

Some of the venues that do only do 3 or 4 a year are now suffering, which is (partly) because of these monthly events.

Yes, the ‘Underplayed’ Tag has (as you say) run its cause - Also, some people can’t seem to tell the difference between the tunes that were ‘Underplayed’ for good reason, and the ones that were ‘Underplayed’ because they were genuinely missed - that in itself has caused the ‘Underplayed’ Tag to become something that puts some people off (and I don’t blame them)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sammy Cambell - I Never Thought

Bobby Moore - Chained To Your Heart

Anthony & the Aqua Lads - I Remember

Lulu - There Has Got To Be a Way (Drizabone Mix) 

Herman Hitson - Love Slipped Thru My Fingers

Ivan Mateus - Somebody Knows How You Feel

Judy Clay - Since You Came Along

Tony Middleton - Spanish Maiden 

Russ

heard spanish maiden out and about a bit lately and no not just me, pow wow and diifferent strokes too in the last couple of months. good call on the herman hitson russ.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember the Duke of Argyle Len? If I recall correctly....the City Stop Soul night was rammed every month...and we stuck mainly to obvious' tunes so to speak....party night! Very successful....but....a minority of 'hard core' wanted to hear summink different too! So...i set up this little dark dingy venue...The Duke of Argyle...above a pub....and it held about 30 people!!! EVERYTHING played there was obscure...rare....or at the time unknown as such! Shifty's tunes/Kev Featherstone...and Rob came over with some funky gear too! Did you do a spot there?? Many did! Awesome nights and horses for courses satisfied...in 1 town...job done! To be honest...at that time...we probably couldn;t have filled a 100 folk venue for such....! The City Stop party got 150+ everytime...every month! You are right tho'...if there is too much choice....then some venues will suffer. Do you leave that to market forces...customer demand....or reduce whats on offer.....? Always has been a toughie....and the latter needs huuuuge co-operation between folk. I remember us '9Clubs' Soul Club....used to liase all nights between us as best possible. We had a comradeship that the scene suggests should be 'normal'. In reality...it ain't like that! I think for our time when kicking off...we were 'revolutionary' and all friendly which helped the concept you are firmly promoting here....all credit to you too mate....but.....unless them friendships etc are in place....the 'chat' as witnessed in this thread...will continue...for another 40 odd years...I reckon!!x

@@
~

10argyle.jpg

argyle.jpg

Just remembered that Checkmates too! B side of ...of....????!!! Can't remember?!! Ain't got it anymore...swopped! But am I getting mixed up with Times a Wasting B side Moaning groaning???!! I played both in me time....help Len?!hehe!x

Luv'd both B's...and spun ithem at the 100club which went down well I recall!!x

middleton.jpg

...and this one has Tony Middletons siggy on it! Ady could put me right....but I think he made his first appearance upon arriving in the UK on a Thursday night....and we piled down to meet this 'legend'!! He didn't have a clue he was so revered! A luvly fella and indeed a happy memory to savour...X

I think the above copy is/was Kev Fevs....I kept threatening to get Tony to sign it for him...!!! He nearly cried at the suggestion...and it started a debate that lasted...erm...to this day! Do you get an artist to sign their record or wot??!! Does it detract...or add?! I can't remember what we all decided....I was happy with it all whatever...and would have gladly had my copy signed by him....if i'd have had one!!!!hehe!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY

X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

That is where it probably 'filtered' down to the Mod Scene from - quite a few did, and (to me) Spanish Maiden was a huge 'Mod' record, because on that Scene is where I heard it (not quite as 'way back then' Russ....but, far enough!)  :D 

Great record btw.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

...taking a leaf outta your book Russ....as I took some of your quality opinion and advice through those years on your music thoughts.....and took to wearing a hat about 10 years ago!!!x Here I am doing me Community Service at the V...!!!hehe!!x...kinda place your hat woulda suited too!!!...X Happy nights we've had mate....nice to see you hacking it still from the depfs of the South...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

v1.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

some one will surely make jackie moore a massive oldie again.

Asked Richard Searling and Kev Roberts for both of these at Blackpool on Sunday night, neither had Game Players and Kev said he would play Jackie Moore but in the end didn't!!

Social source share

only on the us though I believe.

Don't think I've played the b-side since the day i bought it in 1979ish, put it on after reading this forum topic and yes a great song but IMHO not as good as the A Side!

Social source share

Russ

lol how odd is that !  I bought one the other week thinking the same  Russ :)  ... mind you its a tough one to slip in , no doubt some blank faces will be the result  , right room , right time,  :)

pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!