What's Your Favourite Soul 'spine-Tingler'?

Guest CARL D

Guest CARL D

Hi there. Just been listenin to probably my favourite Soul track-The Montclairs-Hey You,Don't Fight it! and the ending still sends me after countless plays!!!! Another is the string break in Howard Guytons-I Watched You Slowly Slip Away-amazin!!! What intro's, breaks,endings e.t.c. do it for other people? Cheers, Carl.

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Or Sam and Kitty I've Got Something Good" but only on west coast 4 Brothers so that people can envy me!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

For intros it has to be  

Bob and Earl  my little girl

Vibrating vibrations   Suprise party for baby( magic)

Many more ,think of one another pops up,must come back to this later,so many,oh so many

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The instrumental break in Fantastic Johnny C's 'Dont depend on me', for some weird reason I find it incredibly moving ! (and memories of Wigan add to it too)

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Ah but of the many,very many brilliant records that there are,well,maybe its because to me its in a class of its own,the drippingly soulful "Impressions.....with  ,Youve been cheating",its got it all ,intro,oh and those vocals,the harmonies,the lyrics not least to say the wonderful unmistakeable tones of my favourite ever singer",Curtis,the king Mayfield,r.i.p and bless him forever for what he brought us in true soulfulness.What else can I say but I just love the song.From the first few intro notes you know you are in for a musical treat,it will never be played or worn out to me.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

From first hearing it at the Mecca to even now the intro to The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl

Others include Jackie Lee - Oh My Darlin and Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me , but there are many more that have stood the hairs up over the years , but not so many (hairs) to go at now.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Intro to Jackey Beavers-A love that will never grows old-Revilot is awesome, in fact the whole backing track is spine tingling, certainly my love for it will never grow old, I love Steve Mancha-Friday Night and Monday thru Thursday which is the same but theres just something else that I can't describe about the Jackey Beavers recording

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Like someone has said above...it's hard to pinpoint 1 as I have loads that launch me as soon as they kick off! What I will do is offer my top tunes that ALWAYS stirred the dance floor whatever I had been left with before hitting the decks!x  It depended upon the time of the set...the venue...and music policy as to which I may have used to kick off with...but the below were pretty univsrsally 'loved' around the UK be it a Soul night or all-nighter! So here's my top  guaranteed spine tingling 'launchers'....for me...in the 90's...to woo the dancers onto the floor first tune!x

70's

I'm So Happy-Prince Philip Mitchell

Lend a Hand-Bobby Hutton

Love Factory-Eloise laws

If Only I could Be Sure-Nolan Porter

I'll Never Stop Loving You-Carla Thomas! Dunno if it is a 70's....way ahead of its time if it weren;t!!x

Hold On-Judy Freeman...70's?!

Chuck Jackson-All Over the World

60's

Run For Cover-The Dells

Have Love Will Travel-Richard Berry

Cards On The Table-Diplomats

If You Ask Me-Jerry Williams

Keep On Keeping On-N F Porter

Help Me-The Spellbinders

Seven Day Fool-Etta James

I'm Not Strong Enough-Four Perfections

In Orbit-Joy Lovejoy

If This Is Love-The Precisions

Stompers

A Little Togetherness-Younghearts...became a bit of a signature tune for me and was expected at most gigs I djd at!

I Need Your Love-The Dynamics.....PAAAAARTTTTYYY!!!

Hopes Dreams & Tombstones-Y.O.P.S!

Sweeter Than The Day Before-The Valentinos

Right Track-Billy Butler

I can't Get Enough-Johnny Sayles

Living A Lie-The High Keys

Cause Your Mine-Vibrations

This Thing Called Love-Johnny Wyatt

It Happens Everyday-The Persionettes...reserved for Blackburn @ 7am to get em warmed up!hehe!!x

Everybodys Going To The Love In-Bob Brady

...erm...

Motown

Helpless-Kim Weston

Midnight Johnny-Liz Lands

Baby Hit and Run-Contours

Tell Me It's Just a Rumour-Isley Bros

You-ve been In Love Too Long-Martha & Rge Vandellas

Do I love You-Frank Wilson...but I never once kicked off with it anywhere....tooo easy!x

Instrumentals...Law of The Land-Alfie Kahn used to go down well on occasion at an all dayer to kick off with as well as Little Queenie at any point! The most 'awesome' response i had to any instrumental was when I played Cal Tjaders-Soul Sauce...at Blackburn and the 100Club! Dealers...collectors and dancers came up asking what it was....after dancing to it!!hehe!x

Another tune that got folks attention mainly at Soul nights was this version by Red Beans and Rice...1980...! I was driving down to London...flippin through the radio channels..and an obscure station came on and this tune was playing....June 1980....I remember it well!

I came home and on the Saturday went to our last proper record shop and 'ordered;' it from the bit of ripped paper i'd wrote it on! It came! I had it in my box until 1994 when I started to spin it at my Soul Nights in Cambridge...! To date...personally...I have never found anyone who knew owt about it....BUT....I just found this 1 link on youtube...and i looked at the comments and it is very interesting indeed! The guy who plays the Sax in the band apparently went on to feature in Jules Hollands Millionaire Band....whom I've looked after in me time...but never knew!!!!! I never knew anything about this tune until today 15 minutes ago!!! Great stuff!x It was a spine tingler in 1980..and hearing it on Utube...it still is!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

rbar.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Junior Walker - Gotta Hold On To This Feeling 

The sax work slays me every time

In fact the whole f'kin record does  :)

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Junior Walker - Gotta Hold On To This Feeling 

The sax work slays me every time

In fact the whole f'kin record does  :)

:thumbsup:

There was only one Junior Walker, that's for sure.

Paul

Social source share

Guest scottie

the instrumental break towards the end of "my kinda woman" by edwin starr.monumental

Edited by scottie
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Dells Make sure

Chip tylor If you ask me

Edwin starr Love the lonely peoples prayer

Four ToppsStill water Peace/Love  Both sides

Millions more though

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Only millions ? You should get out more................... :lol: .

Hey Chris, Wish i could get out more but keep spending all my bloody money on records,Buy all my clothes from charity shops, All my food from the Knock down shelves at supermarkets, My partner said to me today "How much, I wish we could spend that on our weekly shopping for food" She's gotta go.

I will probally start distillin my own whiskey and brewin my own beer soon.

Women hey, They dont understand !!!

Garry Huxley 

P.S. 

More than millions

Social source share

The breakdown in Give Me Just A Little More Time - Chairmen of TB is special. A touch of HDH genius to mix that bass section in mono and then full on stereo for the outro. And not forgetting General's Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The intro to Reach Out 4 Tops is another bit of HDH genius. WTF is that intro melody played on? And the percussion bit too?

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The breakdown in Give Me Just A Little More Time - Chairmen of TB is special. A touch of HDH genius to mix that bass section in mono and then full on stereo for the outro. And not forgetting General's Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The intro to Reach Out 4 Tops is another bit of HDH genius. WTF is that intro melody played on? And the precussion bit too?

:hatsoff2:

Kev

Social source share

Northern wise, The Salvadors - Stick By Me Baby, is still without doubt the best Northern sound to me, maybe Gene Toons behind that for sheer,'so good It cant exist.. ' factor....

Outside of Northern and all that, Grant Green Feat Dianne Reeves - Down here on the Ground, is utter music made in heaven, what a song, what a singer! if this don't put you in a place of pure Bliss, Brother, you cant be helped !!  and I think Denise Williams - 'Free' is right there also, music made in Heaven...

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest CARL D

Uplifting tracks for me include-Number Onederful-by??(cant remember). Heaven in the Afternoon-the bit when Lew sings to a build up...'so i'll meet u at the same time,the same place. To-mmoo-RRROWWW'! Since u said You'd be Mine-Lou Ragland-'...since u blown my mi-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-IND'! Lots of the tracks on the Kent-Jackie Wilson comp' lps are so emotive-beautiful voice and uplifting arrangements,courtesy of Mr Carl Davis! Render My Service played out LOUD is stunning!, as are Crook His Little Finger and Lonesome Shack with their awesome brass-breaks.

Social source share

Uplifting tracks for me include-Number Onederful-by??(cant remember). Heaven in the Afternoon-the bit when Lew sings to a build up...'so i'll meet u at the same time,the same place. To-mmoo-RRROWWW'! Since u said You'd be Mine-Lou Ragland-'...since u blown my mi-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-IND'! Lots of the tracks on the Kent-Jackie Wilson comp' lps are so emotive-beautiful voice and uplifting arrangements,courtesy of Mr Carl Davis! Render My Service played out LOUD is stunning!, as are Crook His Little Finger and Lonesome Shack with their awesome brass-breaks.

do you mean number one fool? the vocla to Funky Chicken?

Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

I love intros

Carstairs "It really hurts me girl" always hits the spot.

Same band "He who picks a rose"

On the deeper side Sam Cooke "Change is gonna come" and Curtis Mayfield "This is my country" choke me every time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!