Record Shop Sleeves

Donkit

Sydney Scarborourgh 45 sleeves came from a Hull record shop -- I have quite a few of them.

Many UK record shops in the 60's printed up their own card record sleeves as they kept some 45's in them in their shop racks, plus used them as an advertising tool.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

post-16601-0-82274100-1370726264_thumb.jpost-16601-0-55414000-1370726372_thumb.j

Just came across this while digging some tunes out. Anyone got any silimar sleeves ?

attachicon.gifIMAG0387.jpg

Valances sleeve is from Leeds but I never went to the shop, anyone else know any thing about it.

Shop sleeves seemed to be more common in the 50s as out of about 30 78s I've got 9 had a shop sleeve. The one in the photo is from Nottingham.

Sydney Scarborough of Hull used to buy a lot of soul singles from Global Records in the mid and late 70s.

Rick

Social source share

attachicon.gif035.JPGattachicon.gif036.JPG

Valances sleeve is from Leeds but I never went to the shop, anyone else know any thing about it.

Shop sleeves seemed to be more common in the 50s as out of about 30 78s I've got 9 had a shop sleeve. The one in the photo is from Nottingham.

Sydney Scarborough of Hull used to buy a lot of soul singles from Global Records in the mid and late 70s.

Rick

Yeah, I remember it. It used to be on the Headrow in Leeds centre. A proper old-time record shop with listening booths I think. I've certainly had some of those sleeves in the past along with Auty's from Dewsbury and Woods from Huddersfield....

Ian D  :D

Social source share

The world famous Soul Bowl Records .... John Anderson Kings Lynn Norfolk

Ktf tfk

Do you like the wee trick with the photo ? Hit it and it spins round ??? Not bad for a young un hey ?????

post-3067-0-07124000-1370761736_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

post-8338-0-36898900-1370985623_thumb.jp

A rather sweet old record shop sleeve in stitched cardboard with stitched-in polythene liner that I found recently when tidying up. I looked up the shop, which closed in 1972, on the net, and found this letter to Brian May of Queen on his blog, from the last surviving Waldren to have worked there...

** Wed 28 Apr 10**
WALDRENS OF HOUNSLOW

Dear Brian,

My son in law sent me a copy of your Soapbox Aug 2009, in which you pay tribute to Les Paul.

My reason for writing to you is because my name is Ernie Waldren and I worked in the family business in the 50’s and 60’s and until 1972 when the shop was closed down. The business had been started in 1899 by my grandmother selling penny toys from the cottage next door.

The shop you knew was developed in the 20’s and 30’s by my grandfather and his four sons. In the 1930’s they sold a huge amount of bicycles and were the first business in Hounslow to have television on the premises when it was first broadcast from the ‘Ally Pally’.

I believe I am the last Waldren still alive (born in 1936) who worked in the business. You might remember the shop was divided into two halves and you could walk down the arcade in the middle. I worked in the bicycle side of the shop with my father. His brother and my cousin ran the electrical side which progressed into records in the late 50’s. People packed into the booths on a Saturday to listen to records before buying them. I collected records (didn’t we all then!) and I believe I had a Les Paul / Mary Ford record “Some where there is Music” ??

We are pleased that you remembered and mentioned us and hope we were some help at the start of your career.

All the best,

Ernie & Sylvia Waldren
---

Brian replied:

This is a letter I never expected to receive, Ernie ! And very welcome it is.

Thanks so much. My memories of Waldrens are indeed very warm.

So many dreams ! A golden age when music was reborn. Records - still 78's ... big and brittle -from Caruso to Elvis. But 45's were the new thing. Elvis on those too ... but new new new things all on the 45's ... Everley Brothers, Buddy Holly and the Crickets ... The Mudlarks .. Lonnie Donegan, the Big Four ... Paul Anka .... I can still smell the perfume of the Vinyl, and hear the crackle of those pressings. Well, for us kids you were a big part of it all !

Thank You, all you Waldrens. Those were the days ! Record Shops Rocked - and yours kicked ass !!

Cheers

Brian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Here are two sleeves from my collection.  The first is from a shop called C. Jeavons which, judging by the addresses, appeared to have three branches in the North East.  Back and front of sleeve shown.

The second eerie-looking sleeve is actually for a 78.  I have no idea where this is from - anyone know?

post-953-0-61028300-1376167248_thumb.jpg

post-953-0-25116000-1376167268_thumb.jpg

post-953-0-71330300-1376167324_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!