Marilyn Smith "covers Mother"

boba
Go to solution Solved by Mick Holdsworth,

I was listening to my radio show and noticed this. Listen to the last few seconds of this song. They actually sing "you shouldn't have pulled the covers over this motherf***er". That probably didn't help airplay, like it might have slipped by a few times until someone noticed it.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yes  - fantastic stuff - off key but still great. I remember when the first copy of this to turned up in modern times (early 90s) - found in Arizona or Vegas I think and Soul Sam was hammering it  :lol: .

Loads of copies around now....

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

just listend to the demo loud with headphones on & it is the same but sound's more like mother mucker,lol.

when got the record i let my mates listen to see what they thought.they thought it did at first,but werent sure after a few more listens.

see what other people think when they listen to clip.

Social source share

SoJamm Records ......... the 70's incarnation of Cleveland's Way Out Records.

The company cut around 3 tracks for every one they released .... AND .....

....... a big reissue label is now well advanced in its project to license / release (on CD / vinyl) all the best of their product .....

.... so we may well get a 'longer version' of "Covers Mother" plus other tracks made by Marilyn (& the many other artists who cut stuff for them). 

Social source share

SoJamm Records ......... the 70's incarnation of Cleveland's Way Out Records.

The company cut around 3 tracks for every one they released .... AND .....

....... a big reissue label is now well advanced in its project to license / release (on CD / vinyl) all the best of their product .....

.... so we may well get a 'longer version' of "Covers Mother" plus other tracks made by Marilyn (& the many other artists who cut stuff for them). 

so f-word or not?

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Numero has bought the rights to the Way Out material but as of yet (as far as I know) they have only released a 40 track package that includes previously released tracks (+ the 32 track Lou Ragland package).

On the V.A. compilation they have included the 2 Way Out tracks that Lou Ragland (& friends) cut under the name of Volcanic Eruption.

An article about the release from about 9 months ago ...

...... https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/old-soul-never-dies-a-quirky-historical-cleveland-record-label-gets-new-life/Content?oid=4342987

Guess we can expect further Way Out related stuff from them in the future but can't at present confirm this.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There was also a 12 (?) track BONUS LP released as part of the V.A. package but this was a 'limited edition' item that quickly sold out. 

I know it featured tracks by the Sensations, Springers, Betty & Angel, Exceptional 3 and more but don't have the full track listing. Maybe another SS'er has a copy and can list all the cuts it contained.

post-22122-0-31323200-1427544135_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!