Youth Club Classics - New Podcast

Pete S

WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN THE 70's, OUR LOCAL YOUTH CLUB WAS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL IN INTRODUCING ME TO THE MUSIC I ENDED UP LOVING FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE.  I ACTUALLY LOVED REGGAE BUT THE TUESDAY NIGHT DISCOS WERE THE FIRST PLACE I HEARD RECORDS LIKE 'THE HORSE', BROOKS & JERRY, "TRAMPOLINE" ALONGSIDE THE THEN CURRENT DISCO RELEASES. 

I FIRST ATTENDED AS A FRESH FACED 12 YEAR OLD IN 1972 AND BY 1976 WAS ACTUALLY SUPPLYING A LOT OF THE NORTHERN RECORDS THAT WERE PLAYED.  OUR YOUTH CLUB EVEN HELD A COUPLE OF ALL NIGHTERS, AND WE HAD MANY OF THE DAY'S TOP SOUNDS. 

THIS PODCAST AND IT'S UPCOMING PART 2 CELEBRATE RECORDS THAT WE ALL DANCED TO BACK IN THE EARLY 70's.  I WOULD SAY THAT "THE CHAMPION" WAS POSSIBLY THE BIGGEST RECORD EVER AT OUR YOUTH CLUB BUT THIS ISN'T JUST A NORTHERN SOUL COMPILATION, THERE ARE ALSO SOME OF THE MOST MEMORABLE COMMERCIAL SOUL TRACKS THAT I REMEMBER FROM THE TIME AS WELL. 

IT WAS A TRULY BRILLIANT TIME FOR MUSIC BACK THEN - SOUL MUSIC ANYWAY - AND THE MUSIC ON THESE TWO PODCASTS IS NOTHING SHORT OF GLORIOUS.  DEDICATED TO WOMBOURNE YOUTH CLUB, IT'S STAFF AND OUR DJ HERO, TIM NIGHTINGALE.

ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - HERE I GO AGAIN

GLORIA JONES - TAINTED LOVE

MAMIE GALORE - IT AIN'T NECESSARY

THE VELOURS - I'M GONNA CHANGE

CANDY & THE KISSES - THE 81

JACKIE LEE - THE SHOTGUN AND THE DUCK

RUFUS LUMLEY - I'M STANDING

DOBIE GRAY - OUT ON THE FLOOR

SAN REMO STRINGS - FESTIVAL TIME

MITCH RYDER -YOU GET YOUR KICKS

FATHERS ANGELS - BOK TO BACH

BUNNY SIGLER - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

JULIAN COVEY & THE MACHINE - A LITTLE BIT HURT

RICHARD TEMPLE - THAT BEATIN' RHYTHM

THE OLYMPICS - THE SAME OLD THING

ANDRE BRASSEUR - THE KID

FRANKIE VALLI - YOU'RE READY NOW

ROBERT PARKER - LET'S GO BABY

JOHN MILES - ONE MINUTE EVERY HOUR

CLIFF NOBLES & CO - THE HORSE

BOOKER T & THE MG'S - TIME IS TIGHT

BILLY BUTLER - THE RIGHT TRACK

ROBERT KNIGHT - LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP

THE TRAMMPS - HOLD BACK THE NIGHT

WILLIE MITCHELL - THE CHAMPION

THE TYMES - YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - JUST WALK IN MY SHOES

LITTLE HANK - MISTER BANG BANG MAN

THE BEGINNING OF THE END - FUNKY NASSAU

BETTY WRIGHT - SHOORAH SHOORAH

BROTHER TO BROTHER - THE BOTTLE

THE FASCINATIONS - GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YOU

SOUL BROTHERS SIX - THANK YOU BABY FOR LOVING ME

HOLLAND & DOZIER - WHY CAN'T WE BE LOVERS

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/youth-club-classics-part-1/

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Paul - track listing for tomorrow's part 2

BROOKS & JERRY - I GOT WHAT IT TAKES

JIMMY HOLIDAY & CLYDIE KING - READY WILLING AND ABLE

JAMES BROWN - (GET UP I FEEL LIKE BEING A) SEX MACHINE

ACT ONE - TOM THE PEEPER

JOHNNY JONES & THE KING CASUALS - PURPLE HAZE

MEL & TIM - BACKFIELD IN MOTION

DORIS TROY - I'LL DO ANYTHING

JOHNNY BRAGG - THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT ME

BARBARA MILLS - QUEEN OF FOOLS

ALVIN CASH & THE CRAWLERS - TWINE TIME

BILLY PRESTON - BILLY'S BAG

JIMMY JAMES - A MAN LIKE ME

THE SHOWMEN - OUR LOVE WILL GROW

INEZ & CHARLIE FOXX - TIGHTROPE

DARRELL BANKS - OUR LOVE (IS IN THE POCKET)

THE FORMATIONS - AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS

HOMER BANKS - A LOT OF LOVE

JOHNNY WYATT - THIS THING CALLED LOVE

JOY LOVEJOY - IN ORBIT

WAYNE GIBSON - UNDER MY THUMB

CHUBBY CHECKER - AT THE DISCOTHEQUE

BIRD ROLLINS - LOVE MAN FROM CAROLINA

THE INVITATIONS - WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME BABY

THE ASTORS - CANDY

THE FLAMINGOS - THE BOOGALOO PARTY

THE ELGINS - HEAVEN MUST HAVE SENT YOU

CHUCK WOOD - SEVEN DAYS TOO LONG

SPIRAL STARECASE - MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY

BILL BLACK'S COMBO - LITTLE QUEENIE

BALTIMORE & OHIO MARCHING BAND - CONDITION RED

WYNDER K FROG - GREEN DOOR

JAMES CARR - THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW

BOB & EARL BAND - MY LITTLE GIRL

TONY CLARKE - LANDSLIDE

THE MILLIONAIRES - NEVER FOR ME

JEANETTE WHITE - MUSIC

WOMBAT - I'M GETTIN' ON LIFE

R. DEAN TAYLOR - THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE

DETROIT EMERALDS - FEEL THE NEED IN ME

Social source share

just about everything on there has a memory of some kind, I can think of 4 other things that always remind me of the youth club off the top of my head, and from the second half of the 70s rather than the earlier part, Frankie Crocker - TOD (take a picture Roy...), Cameo - Find My way, and from the red hot summer of 76 when all the doors and windows were permanently open, 2 mainstream soul/chart records, Candi Staton - Young Hearts, and Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue!

Nice podcasts mate!

:thumbup:

Social source share

just about everything on there has a memory of some kind, I can think of 4 other things that always remind me of the youth club off the top of my head, and from the second half of the 70s rather than the earlier part, Frankie Crocker - TOD (take a picture Roy...), Cameo - Find My way, and from the red hot summer of 76 when all the doors and windows were permanently open, 2 mainstream soul/chart records, Candi Staton - Young Hearts, and Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue!

Nice podcasts mate!

:thumbup:

Candi Staton, absolutely, I will do a 3rd set and use that, I actually did a 70's soul podcast but never broadcast it, when I say 70's soul I mean mainly mainstream things that charted, New York City, Main Ingredient, Ann Peebles etc, remember back then it seemed like a fantastic record was released every single week?  Cameo, yep that was massive wasn't it, even things like "Low Rider" I nearly used...I didn't want these to be just out and out Northern

Social source share

F*ckin hell, didn't get to hear a lot of the NS tracks on there 'til we started going to soul nights at the local Night Clubs round our way.

The youthy's were predominantly chart stuff and bit of trojan and blue beat, then "the Motown" club opened up and we started hearing the soul there.

Offliberty time again thanks Pete.

Social source share

F*ckin hell, didn't get to hear a lot of the NS tracks on there 'til we started going to soul nights at the local Night Clubs round our way.

The youthy's were predominantly chart stuff and bit of trojan and blue beat, then "the Motown" club opened up and we started hearing the soul there.

Offliberty time again thanks Pete.

Well I missed the Catacombs because as it shut, I was getting into NS but still only 14.  In Willenhall, there was a youth club called St Giles aka Sammies and from 74 or maybe 75 to 77 they held allnighters there, my parents actually let me go, aged 15, and this place had real top dj's like Pep and Max, who had all the big sounds.  So we heard them there and then went about getting them for our own youth club.  Agent Smith off here was a dj there as well, great memories of that place.

Social source share

Well I missed the Catacombs because as it shut, I was getting into NS but still only 14.  In Willenhall, there was a youth club called St Giles aka Sammies and from 74 or maybe 75 to 77 they held allnighters there, my parents actually let me go, aged 15, and this place had real top dj's like Pep and Max, who had all the big sounds.  So we heard them there and then went about getting them for our own youth club.  Agent Smith off here was a dj there as well, great memories of that place.

You must have had the best set up in the country.

We stopped goin' to ours when we got to 13/14 as we could get in the junior nights at the Cats Whiskers in Oldham and the Motown in Shaw which was aimed at the teenagers. No all niters at those clubs though.

I had to tell massive fibs to my folks in order to get to Wigan which was the first niter I went to, told 'em I was staying at my mate from school's house. 

Social source share

Guest MrC

I had to tell massive fibs to my folks in order to get to Wigan which was the first niter I went to, told 'em I was staying at my mate from school's house.

1st time I went to Wigan I told my parents I was staying at Pete's house!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!