Danny Wagner Lp Query.......motown Involvement?

On the LP credits for "I lost a true love " it shows diff credits to the 45.......F wilson V wilson etc...and ive always suspected a Motown involvement  on this and "this thing called love" ...particularly that sax break on the Johnny Wyatt version.....any comments?

Social source share

Good question. Both solid Motownesque pounders. I presume these were West Coast recordings. A tantalising scenario if any meat can be found on the theory.

I was thinking the other day that the general arrangements on Bronco's output were remarkably Motown, especially Felice Taylor. Made me wonder if any moonlighting was going on with the West Coast Motown guys? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was.....

Ian D

Social source share

I think there's definitely a connection the other way round ie Barry White with his West Coast Del-Fi/Mustang/Bronco connections playing drums on some Motown recordings.

Ah. I wondered about that. There must have been some cross-pollination going on. I defy anyone to listen to Felice Taylor's "I Feel Love Coming On" and not think it was a Detroit production on first listen.

This clip also features the instrumental....

Felice Taylor "I Feel Love Coming On"

Now I'm beginning to get an inkling as to where Barry White was getting his education. Fascinating stuff.

Ian D :D

Social source share

The Frank Wilson connection is a popular misconception. The Frank Wilson that was Barry White's lifelong friend and some time musical collaborator is not the same one who we know and love for his Motown work. Barry's pal was a completely different chap. V Wilson is Vance Wilson who together with Frank, other brother Henry and David Cason performed as The Remarkables for Madelon Bakers' Audio Arts set up. He also recorded with Brother Vance as Frankie Vance for Revue records. As for the musicians on the Wagner record and also on the Bronco stuff they were part of that notorious L.A. studio outfit Tommy Tedesco's "Wrecking Crew". The bass hook on these records is laid down by the legendary Carol Kaye who together with The Funk Brothers Benny Benjamin was the most influential electric bass player of the 60's. I am sure most of you will have seen the Funk Brothers movie "Standing in the shadows" If you get the chance you must see the "Wrecking Crew" film.

Social source share

The Frank Wilson connection is a popular misconception. The Frank Wilson that was Barry White's lifelong friend and some time musical collaborator is not the same one who we know and love for his Motown work. Barry's pal was a completely different chap. V Wilson is Vance Wilson who together with Frank, other brother Henry and David Cason performed as The Remarkables for Madelon Bakers' Audio Arts set up. He also recorded with Brother Vance as Frankie Vance for Revue records. As for the musicians on the Wagner record and also on the Bronco stuff they were part of that notorious L.A. studio outfit Tommy Tedesco's "Wrecking Crew". The bass hook on these records is laid down by the legendary Carol Kaye who together with The Funk Brothers Benny Benjamin was the most influential electric bass player of the 60's. I am sure most of you will have seen the Funk Brothers movie "Standing in the shadows" If you get the chance you must see the "Wrecking Crew" film.

Social source share

Hi,I think you have got your Funk Brothers mixed up when you mention Benny Benjamin as the base player.It was actually the greatest of them all,James Jamerson.Benny was the drummer,I have read several articles about Carol Kaye,and yes you are right she was a formidable musician.How ever,after James Jamersons death.She claimed to have played on several Motown tracks that were actually played by James. Chris.

Social source share

Hi,I think you have got your Funk Brothers mixed up when you mention Benny Benjamin as the base player.It was actually the greatest of them all,James Jamerson.Benny was the drummer,I have read several articles about Carol Kaye,and yes you are right she was a formidable musician.How ever,after James Jamersons death.She claimed to have played on several Motown tracks that were actually played by James. Chris.

Of course you are right I got my B B's Mixed up with my J J's. I know Carol did a lot of session work for Motown out in L.A. but certainly not on any of their Detroit sessions. Some of these session players were so prolific it must be difficult for them to remember what they did or did not play on. I guess they always remember the sessions that resulted in big hits but the more obscure stuff is probably just a blur. Also tracks were often rerecorded with different musicians or edited with more than one player or over many takes.

Social source share

Of course you are right I got my B B's Mixed up with my J J's. I know Carol did a lot of session work for Motown out in L.A. but certainly not on any of their Detroit sessions. Some of these session players were so prolific it must be difficult for them to remember what they did or did not play on. I guess they always remember the sessions that resulted in big hits but the more obscure stuff is probably just a blur. Also tracks were often rerecorded with different musicians or edited with more than one player or over many takes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!