Dusty Springfield Soul Diva Or White Artist Rip Off?

This may have been done on here before but here goes!

Just watched the recent South Bank show from a month or two back about Dusty Springfield and wondered what the view of the regular patrons of this site thought about this very talented singer?

Does she deserved to get played and are any venues doing so?

'I just don't know what to do with myself' is brilliant sung by Miss Springfield

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just watched the recent South Bank show from a month or two back about Dusty Springfield and wondered what the view of the regular patrons of this site thought about this very talented singer?

'I just don't know what to do with myself' is brilliant sung by Miss Springfield

KTF.

Drew.

wonderful singer :D her version of long after tonight is all over is magical :lol: top artist
Social source share

Guest garv

Fantastic singer & she loved soul / black music,

" Dusty in Memphis" (Atlantic) is a great album & produced by Jerry Wexler & her lp "everything`s coming up Dusty" ( Phillips) is also stunning, contains her versions of " Long after tonight is all over" & " i had a talk with my man" the vocal on the latter is pure soul.

Heard loads of Dusty played at venue`s ever since i started getting into soul music.

Garv.

Social source share

:lol:

Been playing "Whats it Gonna Be"

Since its release

and has been a classic blue eyed Northern Soul track since day 1

and is a good singer and was a big soul/Motown instigator

in the early says,

But her first songs when she came out of Aussie Land"like "Island of Dreams"

where out and out C&W urgh

Doug

:Dbiggrin.gif

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

KTF.

Drew.

Dusty was just the finest female vocalist in the UK during the 60s check out her WHERE AM I GOING TO LP with a version of " I can't wait until I see my baby's Face" + others:

we'll get a soundbite up on the website today..you'll love it.

Social source share

Brilliant singer, also love her version of 'Ain't no easy way down' from the Dusty In Memphis album.Love her Philly lp with tracks 'Lost', 'Silly silly fool' 'Bad case of the blues' and a 70s lp called 'Cameo' a track called' Who gets your love' a Lambert & Potter penned tune.

Social source share

Agree with Binsy (yet again) on this. 'Silly Silly Fool' & 'Lost' are Philly Magic!

Also, have always had a real soft spot for her Phillips 45's "Your Hurting Kinda Love" and "Some Of Your Loving"

Sean Hampsey

Loved Dusty from the age of 14 and always will..."some of your loving" :lol: gonna go home and play it later...Top lady indeed for me and many others...

Social source share

KTF.

Drew.

Without doubt one of the greatest female vocalists of all time. "What's it gonna be" was one of the first records I bought when I started buying vinyl again. Dusty sings Soul (I Think that's the title) is a fantastic CD with her version of "Long After Tonight is all over" which is awesome.

QoFxx

Social source share

Good question she was from the UK sixties generation scene where several major artists used their talent to 'bring' black music to a wider pop audience. The Beatles, the Stones, Tom Jones, Dusty and even Lulu's 'Shout' spring to mind. But Dusty was good too, and her Memphis recordings go beyond pop. One way of taking 'race' out of the equation is to compare her best material with say Chris Clark's at Motown. For me Dusty edges it.

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Guest musicden786

sad.gif

Been playing "Whats it Gonna Be"

Since its release

and has been a classic blue eyed Northern Soul track since day 1

and is a good singer and was a big soul/Motown instigator

in the early says,

But her first songs when she came out of Aussie Land"like "Island of Dreams"

where out and out C&W urgh

Doug

Hello Doug hope your are well.

Good post and very good reply. Pity one or two DJs around at the moment try to put this lady down.

Didnt Dusty record some audition material with Motown?

Denis.

:lol::D

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

If she had been black we wouldn't be haven't this post, one of the best white voices ever. :lol: listen to her music it's all there, it's called soul music. :D

Social source share

If she had been black we wouldn't be haven't this post, one of the best white voices ever. :lol: listen to her music it's all there, it's called soul music. :yes:

Not allways,chekc her Springfieds recording more folk than soul.......... :huh: Lena Zaffaroni had a better voice :(

Social source share

Ken............I am seriously worried about your mental health recently..errrrrrrrrrrr did I say recently :huh:

QoFxx

Right you got me,total fraud................am i gonna` have to prove this,i`ve got a couple of Lena 45s,that prove Lena had a much better vocal range,she just never got the soul bug :yes:

or the slimming pills fukced her soul-side-up :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Good question she was from the UK sixties generation scene where several major artists used their talent to 'bring' black music to a wider pop audience. The Beatles, the Stones, Tom Jones, Dusty and even Lulu's 'Shout' spring to mind. But Dusty was good too, and her Memphis recordings go beyond pop. One way of taking 'race' out of the equation is to compare her best material with say Chris Clark's at Motown. For me Dusty edges it.

Dusty vs. Chris Clark eh? Interesting, i never thought of that comparison. Did they ever record the same track so we can compare?

Agree with everything said so far she was 'the white first lady of soul' i think someone once said.

M.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Right you got me,total fraud................am i gonna` have to prove this,i`ve got a couple of Lena 45s,that prove Lena had a much better vocal range,she just never got the soul bug :lol:

or the slimming pills fukced her soul-side-up :huh:

...and of course LZ had releases on Stax (I'm not joking about this, she really did!) - but seriously, anyone who can even think about mentioning Dusty and La Zavaroni in the same sentence, apart from jokingly, really IS ready for that checkup from the neck up.....

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

...and of course LZ had releases on Stax (I'm not joking about this, she really did!) - but seriously, anyone who can even think about mentioning Dusty and La Zavaroni in the same sentence, apart from jokingly, really IS ready for that checkup from the neck up.....

TONE :huh:

LZ did a version of "Rescue Me" but it was crap.
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

been playing haunted for a while when i do soul sets , brilliant tune from the same sessions i think as "silly silly fool"

Davie

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I Luv this to bits

plus her best ever pop offering....I close my eyes and count to ten

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Just had a listen to Silly Silly Fool and What's It Gonna Be on the SCJB.

Both excellent records.

I have heard both before but not paid as much attention as I should have.

Clearly the majority feel that Ms S is up there with other great soul artists and deserves that place.

Who am I to disagee. :huh:

Drew.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

LZ did a version of "Rescue Me" but it was crap.

...You say that like you were expecting it to be anything other than crap, mate!

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Her "Dusty In New York" ep with "Live It Up" is brilliant whistling.gif

Lenny

Just bought a copy of this for the wonderful - 'I Want your Love Tonight' - produced by Shelby Singleton I believe.

Agree with the comments on 'Silly Silly fool' - it appeared on the philly box set and was not out of place!!

Just playing 'Where I'm Going' and 'Everything's Coming up Dusty' - what fantastic material was cut on her - I often wonder how they came about these these songs in the UK in the 60's - somebody must of been really 'hip' - more so than white America!

And how good is the the art work on 'Everything's Coming up Dusty' ? - beats CD's hands down!

Mike

Social source share

TONE yes.gif

I can vouch for this. Bought a copy of Lena Zavaroni's 'Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me' as a less than serious birthday present for a friend who collects Stax. I thought he was going to faint when he opened the package. His face was an absolute picture!

Social source share

Not allways,chekc her Springfieds recording more folk than soul.......... :D Lena Zaffaroni had a better voice shades.gif

For once, I find myself agreeing with Ken ... IMHO Dusty is/was way overrated as a vocalist. Take her supposedly classic Dusty in Memphis LP, every track on that LP was a cover and every one of them had - either before or after her - been done in superior style by, dare I say it, "authentic" US soul artists . The LP's reputation had more to do with Jerry Wexler's production suss and the fact that she had become the darling token "white girl who could sing soul" of rock music critics of the time, a bit like a softer version of Janis Joplin. Actually , the Dusty in Memphis LP was a commercial failure at the time , barely scraped into the charts , the general record buying public just didn't buy it ... and of course Aretha , Gladys Knight and most of the other truly great female soul artists were deservedly selling records in bucketloads at the time ....

And her LP in Philly with tracks such as Silly Silly Fool WAS admittedly a very good one, probably her best work, but it was more a testament to Gamble & Huff's writing and production talent than Dusty's vocal treatment.

Yes, Dusty's version of What's It Gonna Be IS superior to the original by Laura Greene but again , it's the great backing track that is the star rather than Dusty and I also believe that the backing track was recorded in the US with Garry Sherman , who was of course Jerry Ragavoy's production cohort, and Garry Sherman could make ANYONE sound good !!!!

Sorry , the best I can say is that Dusty was occasionally pretty good , but of the other UK females Cilla Black , Lulu and Helen Shapiro had greater vocal talent if we are all being honest , and then you have others like Julie Driscoll who were truly brilliant ...

:D

Social source share

For once, I find myself agreeing with Ken ... IMHO Dusty is/was way overrated as a vocalist. Take her supposedly classic Dusty in Memphis LP, every track on that LP was a cover and every one of them had - either before or after her - been done in superior style by, dare I say it, "authentic" US soul artists . The LP's reputation had more to do with Jerry Wexler's production suss and the fact that she had become the darling token "white girl who could sing soul" of rock music critics of the time, a bit like a softer version of Janis Joplin. Actually , the Dusty in Memphis LP was a commercial failure at the time , barely scraped into the charts , the general record buying public just didn't buy it ... and of course Aretha , Gladys Knight and most of the other truly great female soul artists were deservedly selling records in bucketloads at the time ....

And her LP in Philly with tracks such as Silly Silly Fool WAS admittedly a very good one, probably her best work, but it was more a testament to Gamble & Huff's writing and production talent than Dusty's vocal treatment.

Yes, Dusty's version of What's It Gonna Be IS superior to the original by Laura Greene but again , it's the great backing track that is the star rather than Dusty and I also believe that the backing track was recorded in the US with Garry Sherman , who was of course Jerry Ragavoy's production cohort, and Garry Sherman could make ANYONE sound good !!!!

Sorry , the best I can say is that Dusty was occasionally pretty good , but of the other UK females Cilla Black , Lulu and Helen Shapiro had greater vocal talent if we are all being honest , and then you have others like Julie Driscoll who were truly brilliant ...

:ohmy:

How can you possibly compare Dusty to that old croaker Cilla Black one of the most over rated singers ever

Social source share

How can you possibly compare Dusty to that old croaker Cilla Black one of the most over rated singers ever

I sold a Cilla killer,25 quid...............so that fukcs your theory :lol: i sense anti Liverpudlianism,could i be wrong :ohmy:

Social source share

I sold a Cilla killer,25 quid...............so that fukcs your theory :lol: i sense anti Liverpudlianism,could i be wrong :ohmy:

I think Dusty had a little bit more soul about her than Cilla :lol: ,no not a bit,quite a fooking lot...Not anti Liverpool Ken but i just can't get Cilla singing on blind date out of my mind now..A cat with a poker up its arsre comes to mind....I did like Cilla singing anyone who had a heart though,a tune i got from my mum...

Social source share

Maybe Helen Shapiro, but as for the others you have got to be having a giraffe :ohmy:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...just how far "in cheek" was your tongue when you wrote this, mate? Nice try at stirring up some controversy, but I recognise a wind-up when I read one - or, for the sake of your sanity, at least I hope I do!

TONE :ohmy:

PS and BTW there was at least one original on "In Memphis", "Son Of A Preacher Man"...

Social source share

Maybe Helen Shapiro, but as for the others you have got to be having a giraffe :lol:

QoFxx

Lulu better then Dusty :ohmy: .....Now lets here you fight your corner on that one...Fudge can sing better than that :lol: ...Shout shout shout,yes thats what she did..If she's done some other fantastic work then let me know,would like to hear it....

Social source share

Lulu better then Dusty :ohmy: .....Now lets here you fight your corner on that one...Fudge can sing better than that :lol: ...Shout shout shout,yes thats what she did..If she's done some other fantastic work then let me know,would like to hear it....

Think you mis-understood me Steve, I love Dusty and think she is was the best white female vocalist ever, what I meant was that cilla, lulu etc were not in her league but Helen was good, maybe not quite as good as dusty but listenable :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest trickbag

dont know what some of you are talking about lena zav cilla lulu, pick anyone from mid sixtys early seventys.none can compare just listen then tell me im wrong,remember not everyone makes a hit record just take a look at your collection,how many where in the charts

Dusty_Springfield___I_ll_Try_Anything.mp3

Dusty_Springfield___Ain_t_No_Sun_Since_You_ve_Been_Gone.mp3

Dusty_Springfield___Long_After_Tonight_Is_All_Over.mp3

Social source share

dont know what some of you are talking about lena zav cilla lulu, pick anyone from mid sixtys early seventys.none can compare just listen then tell me im wrong,remember not everyone makes a hit record just take a look at your collection,how many where in the charts

Not much more you can say to that, speaks for itself :lol::ohmy::):):lol::D

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
you can also add tracks like her version of "Welcome Home" and "Go ahead On" :ohmy:
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Actually, Lulu did make some great sides on Decca. Her version of Little Hank's "Try To Understand" is fabulous, as is her original version of Them's "Here Comes The Night". I also like her (uncredited) duet with Johnny B. Great on Rufus and Carla's "That's Really Some Good". Many of her records from this period were produced by soul legend Bert Berns, when he was commuting back and forth from New York, and they sound as good as any US-produced girlie records of the era.

Even Cilla made a couple of truly fantastic records in the mid 60s, particularly "Conversations", "I've Been Wrong Before" (Randy Newman song) and "What Good Am I" (written, I think, by Kenny Lynch and Mort Shuman). But in her case it really was only a handful of goodies among an abundance of not so goodies.

Helen Shapiro was the first girl that I ever had a crush on, so I'm not even going to try to be objective there.

Julie Driscoll? Fabulous looking woman, but a so-so singer whose records do not even hint at any realy possibility that she had the potential to be better than the unbeatable Ms. Springfield.

I'm sure that if you asked any of these women, then or now, they would tell you that Dusty Springfield was better than any of them - all of the time...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Think you mis-understood me Steve, I love Dusty and think she is was the best white female vocalist ever, what I meant was that cilla, lulu etc were not in her league but Helen was good, maybe not quite as good as dusty but listenable :ohmy:

QoFxx

Sorry Chris

My reply was to sunny soul comments about the others british girls being better...

All the best...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Remember seeing Dusty appearing on i think a motown revue singing Wishing and Hoping and singing the pants of i think the Marvelettes or the vandellas who were backing her :yes:

There was a clip of that review on the South Bank show that prompted my origional post.

:yes:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Actually, Lulu did make some great sides on Decca. Her version of Little Hank's "Try To Understand" is fabulous, as is her original version of Them's "Here Comes The Night". I also like her (uncredited) duet with Johnny B. Great on Rufus and Carla's "That's Really Some Good". Many of her records from this period were produced by soul legend Bert Berns, when he was commuting back and forth from New York, and they sound as good as any US-produced girlie records of the era.

Even Cilla made a couple of truly fantastic records in the mid 60s, particularly "Conversations", "I've Been Wrong Before" (Randy Newman song) and "What Good Am I" (written, I think, by Kenny Lynch and Mort Shuman). But in her case it really was only a handful of goodies among an abundance of not so goodies.

Helen Shapiro was the first girl that I ever had a crush on, so I'm not even going to try to be objective there.

Julie Driscoll? Fabulous looking woman, but a so-so singer whose records do not even hint at any realy possibility that she had the potential to be better than the unbeatable Ms. Springfield.

I'm sure that if you asked any of these women, then or now, they would tell you that Dusty Springfield was better than any of them - all of the time...

TONE :yes:

LULU also did a real nice,Leave a Little Love, Decca! must have been pretty young on this one!

Wheres JM gone with his promise of the-I Cant wait until i see my babys face?? clip! Anyone!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!