Dj's I Would Love To See Back Behind The Decks

I don't care who is behind the decks, I would just love to see some DJ's with some balls and imagination and not play a set of unimaginative "oldies" or records simply because they cost several thousand pounds and basically aren't as good as most £20 records.  Too many seem to chase records others have already played and are better known for the money they spend rather than the quality of their sets.

I care very much 'who is behind the decks’ playing the records - how a set is put together makes a heck of a difference, and a D.J’s personality can transform a set....This has been discussed briefly before, and I remember a point made by some one, they said that Butch and Andy Dyson don’t exactly ooze with ‘Stage Presence’. This is true…..or is it? I think being who they are (and there are others) as in people with such ‘ammunition’ (records, knowledge, experience, down time) that in itself gives them a ‘presence’ and deservedly so. It may look to some like they just solemnly go and ‘plonk’ some records on, but there’s a lot more to D.J’s like that - they don’t ‘light up’ a night by doing just that, that’s for sure.

Play lists mean absolutely nothing to me as a guide to how good a venue is, and I never read them. I focus on who’s playing the records, and trust their judgement on what they choose to play at any given time - ‘The time is right’ an’ all that. I wish I'd been around when the likes of Guy Hennigan, Keb Darge, Colin Law, Jocko and 'the like' were 'at their height' going by stories and tapes I've heard - Such passion and knowledge 'oozing' out of them....Or was it aggression? :D - Loved it, whatever it was :yes:  

N.B - As I said, not a criticism, I have seen both Jocko and Colin Law (and Guy and Keb come to think about it) 'in my time' and I was still impressed with what they had to offer....but back then? Wow!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

You missed Alan S

Actually I could have put you on that list any day of the week Chris but I was thinking of the Holy Trinity.  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

gary holyman, the silver fox as he's known, great collector, mine of information, a profound ear and has probably influenced many others, amongst them being, the ripolles brothers...im sure jordi and dave wont mind me saying that :thumbsup:

Totaly agree

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Thought this thread was about DJs who still have the tunes we'd like to hear who could still cut it, it seems some are banging up DJs from their past who most probably don't have the tunes and some who haven't been around for decades.

For me be interesting to hear Colin Law again ( and will do at True Soul in August) as he's still buying and RS if he has something new to bring to the table.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Forgot he did the Bell Chalky and missed him at the stables. Last time I heard him was at my 40th nearly 9 years ago and I booked him to play a soulful house set :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Dean is one of my all time favourite DJ's ever !. 

Russ

dean anderson is after several guest dj spots ver the years by now almost a resident guest dj at the Hip City and I agree: he is one of the best and a great person!

We are very happy and honoured to have him back again this year for our 23rd anniversary weekender july

19th + 20th...the guest dj line up also includes butch, kitch, lazy and lars bulnheim.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm sad that so few think highly enough of the Albrighton Boys (n' girls) to give just two from 25 a mention (Gary H. & Butch) in 60 posts.

In that pretty awful 90's/naughties period when Nostalgia threatened to completely drown the real soul scene, the Albrighton DJ's stood up to be counted, and continued breaking tunes (and attempting to break tunes that others later managed to win through with) and reviving former 3 spin wonders that most had never heard.

Des Parker, Chris Anderton, Martyn Bradley, were the tip of a large iceberg and fit your critieria of "no longer regular DJ's on the 60's Niter scene". I'll always applaud one young lady who more than made her mark, Jodie, and she summed it up perfectly because she played what she believed in, not what was known, or what was "currently in", and all the DJ's collectively pushed the boundaries, in tempo, style, genre and era.

I'll finish my rant with this - When major record sellers and DJ's came along to guest, often there was an element of unease on their part, because the reputation of the club was that they'd have to dig deep to compete (and much as I hate to admit it, it was that sense of raw competition between the regular DJ's that drove the club forward) But perhaps my proudest moment came when one total legend said " I honestly didn't know half the records played tonight, and they were all great"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm sad that so few think highly enough of the Albrighton Boys (n' girls) to give just two from 25 a mention (Gary H. & Butch) in 60 posts.

In that pretty awful 90's/naughties period when Nostalgia threatened to completely drown the real soul scene, the Albrighton DJ's stood up to be counted, and continued breaking tunes (and attempting to break tunes that others later managed to win through with) and reviving former 3 spin wonders that most had never heard.

Des Parker, Chris Anderton, Martyn Bradley, were the tip of a large iceberg and fit your critieria of "no longer regular DJ's on the 60's Niter scene". I'll always applaud one young lady who more than made her mark, Jodie, and she summed it up perfectly because she played what she believed in, not what was known, or what was "currently in", and all the DJ's collectively pushed the boundaries, in tempo, style, genre and era.

I'll finish my rant with this - When major record sellers and DJ's came along to guest, often there was an element of unease on their part, because the reputation of the club was that they'd have to dig deep to compete (and much as I hate to admit it, it was that sense of raw competition between the regular DJ's that drove the club forward) But perhaps my proudest moment came when one total legend said " I honestly didn't know half the records played tonight, and they were all great"

that wouldn't have been a little ginger headed fellow, would it john?, anyway, give us a chance mate, i haven't begun...oh, and whilst we're on the subject...what about yourself??...j.p., top man if ever there was one, living with that debilitating threshold, as you do and stilll being up for a barnstorming set as you have on countless occasions as well as engendering us pupils with your pearls of wisdom, you deserve the plaudits as much as anybody and a whole generation would understand exactly what  i'm saying if they got the chance to see you in full flow. lea manor for me was the eye opener, bought me back to the scene good and proper but instilled in me a broad spectrum of musical styles and i haven't looked back. i missed the stafford era, but for me the manor carried the mantle of diversity forward and has since, spawned a myriad of events in a similar vein and likeminded dj's who CAN see the wood for the trees

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would have liked to see Ady Croasdell in more places other than The 100 Club - He's done Life-line once I know which was great. I saw Colin Law D.J at Life-line and The Wilton btw, and enjoyed both.

Dave Vanner is pretty unknown, he wasThe Embankment Club resident, which was running at the same time as Albrighton (pushing the boundaries as much as the locals would allow - and some) Maybe not the first to I know, but Dave was playing 'Wade Flemons - Jeanette' back in 1994. Gilly I'm sure would vouch for him.

.....but this isn't really 'return to the decks' so sorry about that Russ - I'll get me coat :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah, how sweet of you to say so John. Unfortunately, my love of "something different" pretty much put a stop to me DJing LOL! x

• Helpful 2
Social source share

gary holyman, the silver fox as he's known, great collector, mine of information, a profound ear and has probably influenced many others, amongst them being, the ripolles brothers...im sure jordi and dave wont mind me saying that :thumbsup:

Gaz H jordi and Dave. Gaz in a legue of his own and always ready to go on a tangent of quality. But all three of these guys have got the bollox. 

Social source share

Agree to an extent, but just because your a collector doesnt mean your not a good DJ & vice versa....its an imperceptible thing & quite emotive....

Russ

I'm a good D.J, but a sh*t collector! :lol: ...."What's that called again?"....."You just f*ckin' played it!" lol

..........Here come the comments........... :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I care very much 'who is behind the decks’ playing the records - how a set is put together makes a heck of a difference, and a D.J’s personality can transform a set....This has been discussed briefly before, and I remember a point made by some one, they said that Butch and Andy Dyson don’t exactly ooze with ‘Stage Presence’. This is true…..or is it? I think being who they are (and there are others) as in people with such ‘ammunition’ (records, knowledge, experience, down time) that in itself gives them a ‘presence’ and deservedly so. It may look to some like they just solemnly go and ‘plonk’ some records on, but there’s a lot more to D.J’s like that - they don’t ‘light up’ a night by doing just that, that’s for sure.

Isn't that basically what I said or was getting at?

Social source share

I'm a good D.J, but a sh*t collector! :lol: ...."What's that called again?"....."You just f*ckin' played it!" lol

..........Here come the comments........... :D 

All the best,

Areet Len, Many a good nite at yours one that sticks in my Mind when Gaz Holyman was spinnin toons  b'sides etc and you said " fuuck great toons are they for sale?" and Gaz replied Len they are yours that I am playing LOL. Top nites. Have to say Len has always tried to push the bounderies  and has excellent taste and Nina does a mean cup of coffee at 4am or was that 4pm ha ha. Best Kimbo.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

....Hang on, I'll go back and read your post again. I thought you said "I don't care who is behind the decks", and I took that literally - back in a minute.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, I getcha - You meant you 'don't care who is behind the decks' (as long as they can D.J) in a 'goes without saying' kinda way - Noted. The rest of the post also agreed......And approved :D 

All the best,

Social source share

We've had some amazing dj's play at Famiy Affair over the past few years.

Pat Bleasdale

Johnny Beggs

Val

Jordi and Dave Ripolles

Brett Franklin

Phil Wainwright

All playing exciting stuff and not afraid to venture away from what's expected. Playing from the heart and having confidence in your records is what it's all about. I'd rather here the dj's listed above play a set of tunes I don't know but excite me rather than the same old same old playing popular records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Areet Len, Many a good nite at yours one that sticks in my Mind when Gaz Holyman was spinnin toons  b'sides etc and you said " fuuck great toons are they for sale?" and Gaz replied Len they are yours that I am playing LOL. Top nites. Have to say Len has always tried to push the bounderies  and has excellent taste and Nina does a mean cup of coffee at 4am or was that 4pm ha ha. Best Kimbo.

Ahem, yes. This is why I got the contract drawn up - And he signed it bless him! It now resides in my record room - We both have a copy (Obviously)........

........I Gary Holyman promise no matter how confused Len gets, agree not to sell him any of his own records.

Signed Mr Gary Holyman.

:lol: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pat Bleasdale

Johnny Beggs

Val

Jordi and Dave Ripolles

Brett Franklin

Phil Wainwright

All playing exciting stuff and not afraid to venture away from what's expected. Playing from the heart and having confidence in your records is what it's all about. I'd rather here the dj's listed above play a set of tunes I don't know but excite me rather than the same old same old playing popular records.

Yep Val is fantastic ('The Den' again) Everyone else is mentioning venues because it's relevant to the discussion, so I hope I'm not over stepping the mark here Mike.

Russ - Can you change this thread into 'Who we would like to see 'more' behind the decks' rather than 'back' behind the decks?.........and 'as if by Magic', the whole Soul Scene was transformed........or not...... :D 

All the best,

Den......Sorry, I mean Len :thumbsup:.......(of the Den) :D 

Social source share

Ahem, yes. This is why I got the contract drawn up - And he signed it bless him! It now resides in my record room - We both have a copy (Obviously)........

........I Gary Holyman promise no matter how confused Len gets, agree not to sell him any of his own records.

Signed Mr Gary Holyman.

:lol: 

All the best,

That won't make any difference to Gary. If he can't sell you records he'll trade you something you didn't know you wanted for your records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That won't make any difference to Gary. If he can't sell you records he'll trade you something you didn't know you wanted for your records.

Doh! :huh: .....to late.....But ya luv him the more for it :D 

Seriously though, I've done some great trades with Gary............I've always wanted a Penny Farthing Bicycle, and he said those Magic Beans will work, I just have to wait that's all........ :D 

Top fella :wink: 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doh! :huh: .....to late.....But ya luv him the more for it :D 

Seriously though, I've done some great trades with Gary............I've always wanted a Penny Farthing Bicycle, and he said those Magic Beans will work, I just have to wait that's all........ :D 

Top fella :wink: 

All the best,

He traded Johnny Weston an electric guitar for some records.

Shame John can't actually play the guitar :lol: , and there wasn't an amplifier / speaker with the guitar anyway.

Social source share

Shame John can't actually play the guitar :lol: , and there wasn't an amplifier / speaker with the guitar anyway.

......Well for Johns records I'd say that was a very good deal......and if the guitar had strings, well I'd say John was very lucky! :lol: 

Just kidding John! :wink: ....'D.J Banter' Ho Ho Ho. :rofl:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I've always cared about who I listen to Len, trouble is I don't care for many of today's DJ's.  Like I said I don't really care who they are, seasoned collector or first time behind  the decks as long as they use some balls and imagination.  It's easy to do a millionaires trophy set if you have the money and they tend to be boring as well with little thought or imagination.  I'd much sooner hear someone put together a set for the price of one of those trophy records.  But too many promoters are spineless and passion and imagination is frowned upon from all quarters, one reason I am finding myself at home more and more at weekends.

:hatsoff2: Post of the thread, bar none

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That's nothing I only nipped round to borrow his loo. I came away with a bobble hat with sleeves, string with holes in it & his collection of dead horse photos. ha ha. Seriously had some right good times with Gaz and Lynne and heard many many brilliant toons for the first time. Kimbo

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've always cared about who I listen to Len, trouble is I don't care for many of today's DJ's.  Like I said I don't really care who they are, seasoned collector or first time behind  the decks as long as they use some balls and imagination.  It's easy to do a millionaires trophy set if you have the money and they tend to be boring as well with little thought or imagination.  I'd much sooner hear someone put together a set for the price of one of those trophy records.  But too many promoters are spineless and passion and imagination is frowned upon from all quarters, one reason I am finding myself at home more and more at weekends.

I could have written this myself mate, as usual bang on.

Gouch

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pat Bleasdale

Johnny Beggs

Val

Jordi and Dave Ripolles

Brett Franklin

Phil Wainwright

already mentioned John myself but with you on Phil Wainwright and the ripolles

Social source share

perfect Chalky, got it spot on

Social source share

But first....I got to take some sleeping pills or i will get depressed!!....Me bestest of all times mate....Russ.....shirley.....must have.....i'm sure i saw it.......but it went again....me name....it weren't on the list!!!! RUUUUUSSSSS!!!!!???????!!!!!!!! Is it cos i'm brown or summink....??!! Was I that sh*t????!!!hehe!x I wos so happy returning...and i;ve been pasturised to grass.......! S*d him then.....gonna speak to Richard and see if we can't get this bouncy floor titling side to side again like we did in the 90's.....I wos there.....holding on for dear life....happy days too!!!x I'm gonna push u off Russ.....I will.....!x

@@

~

I put the above in the UKIP thread in freebasing.........but decided to put it here and ask if you have a Ukalalee Len for me to paddle down the river on wiv me pipe....?!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....new mission....to get Chalky EXCIIIIITEDDDDD....again!!!.....on it!x WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!x

@@

~

Social source share

But first....I got to take some sleeping pills or i will get depressed!!....Me bestest of all times mate....Russ.....shirley.....must have.....i'm sure i saw it.......but it went again....me name....it weren't on the list!!!! RUUUUUSSSSS!!!!!???????!!!!!!!! Is it cos i'm brown or summink....??!! Was I that sh*t????!!!hehe!x I wos so happy returning...and i;ve been pasturised to grass.......! S*d him then.....gonna speak to Richard and see if we can't get this bouncy floor titling side to side again like we did in the 90's.....I wos there.....holding on for dear life....happy days too!!!x I'm gonna push u off Russ.....I will.....!x

@@

~

I put the above in the UKIP thread in freebasing.........but decided to put it here and ask if you have a Ukalalee Len for me to paddle down the river on wiv me pipe....?!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

....new mission....to get Chalky EXCIIIIITEDDDDD....again!!!.....on it!x WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!x

@@

~

Sooty, you're taking the drugs too early in a morning mate :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Now Dave....you being a 'man of the people' I recall...should know better!!!!x They said that in '93...20 years ago.....'he's on drugs'!! Never wos until I went to an All-Nighter!!! FACT!! They then said i wos out to take over the drug movement....yet not 1 Soulie could tell you I sold em out.....except shared honest friendship. FACT!!

Then they said I was a coppers knark....and they hid their tilples and sloped off behind stage....all the time I was trekking with me mate Dodge who took....wait for it...40 dex's a day...and slept like a baby! Or during the day had chaperoned a super star and wiped their nostrils before exiting the car for them.

Nope....exactly 20 years on since me first promoted doo....everything I did in the Soul scene...I did by choice...measured...calculated and intended....and all thought about on on pure endorphine. And Dave...I came thru' with everything I said i would do and more...remember?!! U wos there!!x Then walked away happy with myself...and did the same elsewhere....for 230 victims of peedofila in my locality. I needed drugs to face that one....w**d...to relax ater a hard days listening. Perhaps I haven't had the natural highs some of you share on here for some time. So forgive me for inspiring meself....like I did in '93......or come to think of it....whenever I decide really! Consider it decision made. We did it in the 90's....'we'...can enjoy it again today....I reckon. I'd have been there in the 70's but was busy running around trying to get away from coppers tellin' me I wos a hooligan...! That was anuver injustice!!! I wos  a victim....honest Dave!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

next-weeks-news-sooty-747200.jpg

....before I go....Dave...Dave Flynn.....how are you mate?!!!x Luvly to read your words of wisdom all the way from Japan!x This t'internet is marvellous init?!x I used to rush down the 100club...to hear your words of wisdom! You'd just released/been involved with the Sweeter Than The Day Before album....I bought it......yeah...me who don;t collect albums! I played 3 or 4 tracks of it at my Soul Night for months that I'd never heard. Sweeter than the Day Before i added to me 7" collection along with Maurice Mac....Marlena and they all served me well for 7 years...and have been eternally grateful ever since!x There...an album that had an impact on me! You and Gene Pitney....done it for me....ure as cute as he was too Dave...and hope u still are...!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

Likewise mate, likewise. The D.J line ups also frustrate me sometimes - What's the point in putting 'another' event on if the D.J line up is the same as is already being done? Even if the said D.J's are good, it makes it more interesting if they are not 'over used' and more 'Under The Radar' D.J's are used, at least along side them - It's kind of done me a favour actually, because I'm now focussing more and more on family life (as I should be I know) but when the Soul Scene was great, I couldn't focus on anything but - So thank you (whoever you are)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!