Repairing Skips

hi there,

if i remember right there was a discussion aout repairing skips on here not long ago and someone said that he would repair it if someone sends the record to him. i have a record that i would love to get repaired. does anyone remember who it was?

thanks in advance

henning

Social source share

you need a good magnifier but a scalpel is like 4-5 grooves wide. you can use it to fix a skip but it's sort of like taking a bulldozer to remove a weed and leaves a big gouge mark. you need a really tiny needle. i do fix skips for people.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

you need a good magnifier but a scalpel is like 4-5 grooves wide. you can use it to fix a skip but it's sort of like taking a bulldozer to remove a weed and leaves a big gouge mark. you need a really tiny needle. i do fix skips for people.

An artists scalpel is thinner than one groove Bob!  Even a stanley knife blade will do the job.

Social source share

hi there,

if i remember right there was a discussion aout repairing skips on here not long ago and someone said that he would repair it if someone sends the record to him. i have a record that i would love to get repaired. does anyone remember who it was?

thanks in advance

henning

If skip comes from pressing fault, e.g. grooves too close, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Magnifier plus a really thin blade/needle works only if the skip results from a scratch going across two or more grooves. I managed to repair quite a few discs that way tho

Social source share

An artists scalpel is thinner than one groove Bob!  Even a stanley knife blade will do the job.

I bought like 4 different sizes of exacto knives, including the smallest size. Is that the same thing as an "artist scalpel"? I bought them at an art supply store. Grooves are surprisingly thin, much more than it would seem from looking at a record regularly. You can only really see them under 60x magnification. Were you using a 60x magnifier? Using something wider than a groove (like a sharp pencil) will fix the problem, it just leaves a gouge mark.

Social source share

If skip comes from pressing fault, e.g. grooves too close, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Magnifier plus a really thin blade/needle works only if the skip results from a scratch going across two or more grooves. I managed to repair quite a few discs that way tho

What you're saying is true, but it's almost never the case that the skip comes from a pressing fault. Once I had a record where I tried to fix the skip though and I found a bunch of grooves literally going nowhere, like they were pressed like the = - with two grooves going into one, it was crazy.

Social source share

I know this sounds brutal, but true and it works.
When the record is playing and it reaches the skip, press down on the headshell making sure your finger moves with it on it's natural course. The stylus will take any crap out of the groove and will cure the skip.
Like I say, brutal but it does work, and it won't damage the styli or the record if done carefully.
The above only works if the skip is caused by groove clogging, and not a pressing fault.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

I'll put me equipment away - I thought you needed help repairing this

attachicon.gifskip.jpg

:(

Peter

Beat me to it! :lol: - Being a welder I've repaired lots of Skips in my time :D

Sorry guyz - Good luck with the repair :wink:

The only time I repaired a skip (let's say jump) I simply put pressure on the needle (by pushing on the cartridge) while it went through that bit, and it worked - Maybe more luck than judgement though, I don't know.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

......and that's exactly what the last post said - Doh! :huh: .....I'll go and have a read :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Beat me to it! :lol: - Being a welder I've repaired lots of Skips in my time :D

Sorry guyz - Good luck with the repair :wink:

The only time I repaired a skip (let's say jump) I simply put pressure on the needle (by pushing on the cartridge) while it went through that bit, and it worked - Maybe more luck than judgement though, I don't know.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

......and that's exactly what the last post said - Doh! :huh: .....I'll go and have a read :D 

LOL! Thats' what I just said too Len, and it does work providing it's not a press fault.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know this sounds brutal, but true and it works.

When the record is playing and it reaches the skip, press down on the headshell making sure your finger moves with it on it's natural course. The stylus will take any crap out of the groove and will cure the skip.

Like I say, brutal but it does work, and it won't damage the styli or the record if done carefully.

The above only works if the skip is caused by groove clogging, and not a pressing fault.

it works sometimes. if you can clean a record well enough that the skip isn't caused by dirt, it rarely will work.

Social source share

it works sometimes. if you can clean a record well enough that the skip isn't caused by dirt, it rarely will work.

It's very difficult if not impossible to clean a record enough to remove gunge that is stuck in the grooves. Normal cleaning only takes off the surface dirt as all you are doing is wiping the top. If there is dirt that is stuck in the grooves and causing a skip, then you have to take more drastic action to get it out.

Another way which it tried and tested over many years is the warm water method, this can actually desolve clogged grooves. Method is, bowl of warm water, 1 drop of washing up liquid, stir water with finger slowly not to cause bubbles. Soft cloth dipped in water, thoroughly wipe affected record rubbing fairly hard, rinse record under cold tap making sure not to get water on label, dry record with dry soft cloth or paper towel. If it still skips, try again, if that still doesn't cure it, more harsh method is needed as in earlier post.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

It's very difficult if not impossible to clean a record enough to remove gunge that is stuck in the grooves. 

I can get out all the dirt that is in the grooves. Send me a record to clean if you don't believe me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have been fixing skips with a couple of 45's in my collection recently (thanks to some great info from boba in a previous thread) and have had some great success. It's not easy but with plenty of patience, a steady hand and the right tools it can pay excellent dividends.

The same method is also useful in cleaning really stubborn shit that gets in the grooves that won't come out with normal/deep cleaning.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I find my Loricraft cleaning machine cures about 90% of skips, so that would indicate that dirt fragents are the cause of most. If that doesn't work, and the problem is something else (like a hairline crack in the wall between grooves), then I find that playing the record in reverse (by hand), over the affected area a number of times sometimes works.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I find my Loricraft cleaning machine cures about 90% of skips, so that would indicate that dirt fragents are the cause of most. If that doesn't work, and the problem is something else (like a hairline crack in the wall between grooves), then I find that playing the record in reverse (by hand), over the affected area a number of times sometimes works.

i agree with all of this. you have to be careful to not play it back so many times that you cause groove damage though (obviously styrene is much more susceptible to it).

"real" skips are scratches that obstruct the groove that you have to manually repair somehow

Social source share

No I didn't say I didn't believe you Boba, I said It's really difficult. What method do you use? The magnifying glass and pin method?

I don't use a pin to clean dirt, not a good idea imo. There are lots of things you can do. I don't do this, but you can use the glue cleaning method if you want, it will get almost everything.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!