News: Fantastic Detroit Tv Show 1966

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's another full episode which is a tribute to The Supremes, the three girls in the studio doing a live interview (Florence most prominent) and they meet up with their old school principal etc, Berry Gordy appears, The Marvelettes perform a medley, and audience members do Supremes impersonations.  Oh, and Johnny Tillotson turns up for some reason. Nice, but drags a little.

Social source share

Swingin' Time, a local Detroit tv show from 1966.

..... Wayne Cochran with the worst hairdo and terrible miming but still great to watch .................

Pete, can't see what you're on about, I think Wayne had a great hairstyle !!!!

post-22122-0-35683200-1368005236_thumb.j

Social source share

the producers of the show were selling dvds a few years back, with the stipulation that you don't copy or post any of the video. that didn't last long.

wayne cochran's signature was his white pompadour, he has the same hairstyle throughout his career, even when he was on JB's future shock. his whole thing was being the white james brown.

Social source share

Buddy Lamp performing you"ve Got The Loving Touch,

Great catch, Pete :thumbsup:

Nice clip of Buddy Lamp...and not an easy number (#113) to track down on Wheelsville, either

Whilst I'm here, also worth mentioning that the instrumental under the intro is the Stokes 'Young Man Old Man' on Alon...the backing track for Benny Spellman's 'The Word Game'.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Great stuff. How do I download it Pete so I can save it?

Regards,

Dave

Well I use a program called JDownloader.

Free download.

Open it, click "add url" and do just that.

It will then show you all audio and video files associated with that page.

You can just rip the audio if you want, or the video.

For a 40 minute show like that it takes about 2 minutes.

For a 3 minute audio track, about 10 seconds.

Social source share

Great catch, Pete :thumbsup:

Nice clip of Buddy Lamp...and not an easy number (#113) to track down on Wheelsville, either

Whilst I'm here, also worth mentioning that the instrumental under the intro is the Stokes 'Young Man Old Man' on Alon...the backing track for Benny Spellman's 'The Word Game'.

:hatsoff2:

I think it's actually the Mel Taylor cover version on Warner Bros.

Social source share

Brilliant video . There is another complete episode of Swinging Time on YouTube featuring The Supremes and The Marvelettes with an appearance from Berry Gordy which is also worth a look.

I did mention that in post 3...

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
On 08/05/2013 at 10:22, Pete S said:

There's another full episode which is a tribute to The Supremes, the three girls in the studio doing a live interview (Florence most prominent) and they meet up with their old school principal etc, Berry Gordy appears, The Marvelettes perform a medley, and audience members do Supremes impersonations.  Oh, and Johnny Tillotson turns up for some reason. Nice, but drags a little.

I really enjoyed that.

Great to see the genuine affection coming from their former teacher and school principals.

And especially their reaction to the film on the Champs-Elysees. It looks as if they were seeing that for the first time.

A much clearer, cleaner copy of that has appeared and disappeared on You Tube.

It is there at the moment - with the correct backing track:

I imagine that was filmed when the Supremes came over for the Tamla Motown Revue tour in May 1965. They went over to do one concert in Paris.

MB

Edited by Mike
link expired
Social source share

Swingin' Time was actually broadcast from Windsor, Ontario, Canada and not Detroit. Members of the regular dancers on the show were twins, Leslie and Lester Tipton.

Nice one Rob

I recall reading something about The Tipton twins professional dancing careers.

Is that Lester Tipton dancing just to the right hand side of the stage during Wayne Cochran's appearance ?

tfk

post-3067-0-20020100-1368174642.jpg

Social source share

Pete, can't see what you're on about, I think Wayne had a great hairstyle !!!!

Wow now that is an amazing hairstyle that Wayne is sporting?? yes twas thinking of getting a wee trim and restyle on my now dated "old burst couch style " Barnet this weekend ? but not sure what Wayne's Cochran's hair is called ? so unsure what to ask my Barber for ??

Fab footage by the way...

Tfk

post-3067-0-53433200-1368175162_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

It's called a pompadour.

wayne+cochran.jpg

Fantastic so it's off with the " Burst couch " this weekend and here's to The Pompadour!!!! as styled by that hip shake soul man " Wayne Cochran "

Right on right on tfk

post-3067-0-15366600-1368186549_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Nice one Rob

I recall reading something about The Tipton twins professional dancing careers.

Is that Lester Tipton dancing just to the right hand side of the stage during Wayne Cochran's appearance ?

tfk

Yes, I thought I saw him a couple of times ...and his sister. He actually appeared on Swingin' Time performing 'This won't change' I've seen a photo of it.

Social source share

Wayne may have had daft hair but he had a great voice I reckon, used to love this at Wigan (1976) but it got dropped very quickly...still love it now...eh Paul?

Sounds like he's having a fit Pete. Pity because the rest of the track is excellent.

Social source share

Wayne may have had daft hair but he had a great voice I reckon, used to love this at Wigan (1976) but it got dropped very quickly...still love it now...eh Paul?

Pete

Yes forgot about" I'm in trouble" - great voice...

Thanks for the posting

tfk

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Inez Fox is incredible. Sexy yet so soulful. I had forgotten what a masterpiece that track is. Thanks Pete great stuff.

True...almost Detroit sounding...and here it is :hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-78956200-1368243181_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I'm fascinated by the guitarist in The Rationals.  The whole show is mimed except that for some reason he appears to be playing live on 'Leaving here'.  It's either that or he even mimed to an obvious fingering fluff that had been left on the record.  I'd love to know why...

Jerrio, on the other hand, doesn't give any impression that he can even play the guitar.  Full creds for his miming though... I wonder what part Tom played on the record.

Was 'Cherish' speeded up?  Answers on a postcard.

"Two superb numbers from The Magnificent Men"?  They did three.  Which was the one you didn't like?😃 I loved the first, but I was a bit disappointed with the other two.  Maybe they'll grow on me.

The 'El-jins'?  Am I alone in thinking that Elgins had a hard 'G'?  I feel such a fool.

...And Robin Seymour!  He was one of the early DJs playing that naughty race music to the white kids in the 50s. 'Rockin' with the Robin' if my memory serves me right.  From this I'm assuming that he must have been with CKLW in the mid '60s.  Their signal was so powerful that sometimes you could pick it up at night in Britain.  You probably can if you're interested in sports and news...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!