Stafford Top Of The World Or Morecambe Pier Compilations?

Guest ScooterNik

Guest ScooterNik

Apart from the one that's on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stafford-Story-Twenty-Northern/dp/B00005220Y

- are there any decent compilations of Stafford material? There must be hundreds of tracks from that era that need compiling?

Ditto Morecambe, although maybe more oldies orientated, surely there must be enough great tunes to make a CD worthwhile?

Social source share

I don't like to blow me own trumpet but they have been compiled or are in the process of being compiled, Stafford anyway. Check out the link in my signature for 34 podcasts telling the Stafford Story. The definitive collection IMO of the sounds that made Stafford. Plenty more to come.

Morecombe, I can't think of anything from Morcombe that wasn't already played elsewhere first. I could be wrong but nothing springs to mind.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't like to blow me own trumpet but they have been compiled or are in the process of being compiled, Stafford anyway. Check out the link in my signature for 34 podcasts telling the Stafford Story. The definitive collection IMO of the sounds that made Stafford. Plenty more to come.

Morecombe, I can't think of anything from Morcombe that wasn't already played elsewhere first. I could be wrong but nothing springs to mind.

Good luck on the licensing Chalky. That'll be a barrow of fun..... :)

Ian D

Social source share

Without trying to take anything away from Stafford a few from Morecambe Central Pier that do spring to mind!

Cleveland Robinson Love is a Trap (George Blackwell c/u)

Ruby Lee I believe in you (Marie Knight c/u)

The Squires Don't Accuse me (Al Williams c/u)

Mel Carter Love Test (Tommy Tate c/u)

James King Memories

Peanut Duck (The Dance Track c/u)

(spun by Mark Farley purchased from John Vincent 12 months prior to Stafford)

Moody & the Deltas Everybody clap your hands (Sam Cook c/u)

Baby Washington I've got it bad (that ain't good)

Billy Storm Please don't mention her name (Gene McDaniels c/u)

Chaz For your Love

Plus countless indie/new releases way before anywhere via Richard Searling

Social source share

I never did Morecambe, but being a bit anoraky I recall a chart of Morecambe plays in Echoes and the Clevland Robinson was on that for sure.

If anyone has that cutting that would help date it's Morecambe plays in a "certainly played before...." kinda way.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

And we are all eternally grateful mate. Think I speak for us all in saying if you hadn't put a lot of your spare time and passion into this project a lot of this could have been forgotten forever mate.

soulunderground is now a great soul archive of that time, and you deserve a round of applause from all of us who attended and for all who just enjoy the music from the TOTW era.

Cheers Chalky! :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Couldn't agree more I've just spent the last 3 hours on there reliving memories and hearing many a long forgotten tune.

Social source share

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to know they are listened to and appreciated.l

As said many a forgotten tune amongst the 100's used so far, some of today's DJ's looking for something a little different could do no worse than look amongst these rather than keep chasing what everyone else is playing.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

hI Chalky

What an amazing A to Z of what can only be described as a fantastic ,innovative and passionate time for the scene .A true reflection of how healthy things were during that great era , a tell ya what youth :- some great music amongst those play lists that have still to this day stood the test of time and quite a few remained very elusive both to DJs playlists and collectors alike

Keep the sterling work up Chalky !!!!

ktf and right on right on

Edited by tfk
Social source share

just to correct those who can't spell Morecambe  its Morecambe

Thanks Sean

Richard Searling Marc Farley Shaun and a few others to a lesser degree played contemporary and early 80s releases which would sit nicely alongside some of the 70s plays that were being spun then as a comp cd

great venue sadly missed by us here in the town not just for the soul nights  happy days super music certainly from the modern end of the spectrum

Social source share

Shaun gibons got cleveland robinson of searling if i remember right. remeber johnny taylor oh how i love you and luther thomas who slipped out gettin palyed as coverups at morecambe never heard them any were else..memory permitting..ta chris

Social source share

CR Jr came from John Anderson I think I recall Shaun telling me. Mostly 'oldies' sixties wise for sure but can recall Marsha Gee, pyramid and a handful of other bits which weren't at the time. Really enjoyed the more modern side of Morecambe when I went but for me Stafford was a complete game changer musically.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

...so just the one Stafford one, and no Morecambe ones?

Like I said, I appreciated the Morecambe one would by its nature be more oldies orientated, but there were tracks unique to the venue AFAIK.

And Chalkie... it was the podcasts that got me thinking about it, you've done a spot on job there :) Thanks.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Really enjoyed the more modern side of Morecambe when I went but for me Stafford was a complete game changer musically.

DELETED POST.    

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

There's also an unofficial 6 CD (or was it 8 CDs?) compilation that came in a sort of DVD cover. Quite a nice selection of tracks.

its a 10cd set or 2 5 cd sets as it was originally " released "

There are a few stafford unofficial cds that get swapped between collectors that i have come accross but only the one official release

Social source share

Think there was another cd with the one you bought Mark, the top one.

I've the 5 cd set one, I didn't get a second 5 set one to go with it though.  I know of another 5 setter but not from same seller.  There's a three set one as well.  But by and large there is very little in any of them unknown, all the big tunes from Stafford.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!