What Do You Say When Asked What Music You Like?

....and you shouldn't be mate! I don't think anyone is ashamed of how they used to be......Although what I'm talking about is before my time, I fully understand that back then no one knew what you were into except 'the others'. Walking down the street 'Soul Strangers' would recognise that 'Northern Soul Aura' in each other (Think of the old Porridge advert, and that warm glow around the person after they've had their breakfast).......I know what I mean.

....But know one else knew anything about it......How cool is that? :yes:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

It was elitist not just 'cos of the music.....the whole deal as a youth culture

There seems to be a three way split now and the elitist aspect is still there no doubt.........each to his own

Loud 'n proud is my preferred way so I don't mind what an outsider's take is they can like it or lump it.......but they won't see me personally in bags 'n vest either way

Know what you mean though  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was elitist not just 'cos of the music.....the whole deal as a youth culture

There seems to be a three way split now and the elitist aspect is still there no doubt.........each to his own

Loud 'n proud is my preferred way so I don't mind what an outsider's take is they can like it or lump it.......but they won't see me personally in bags 'n vest either way

Know what you mean though  :thumbsup:

Good man,

I think what people are getting at (the ones that you say ‘sound like they are ashamed of admitting it’) is when they see people who dress ‘the part’ (etc etc) but never did it in the first place, trying to fool others they did. Reason being, is that it makes a mockery of the whole thing. Those people ain’t got ‘The Aura’ that’s for sure, and for the people that have - It ‘pains’ them.

The Northern Soul Scene is renowned for exposing frauds; unfortunately it’s now ‘awash’ with them, so I guess this is why people strongly speak out when they can. I can see how it can be perceived as people denying their past, but I don’t think it is that.

….In saying this, life's too short (and getting shorter) and I’m finding it best not to get too 'het up' over these things anymore. Like you said it was a “youth culture”, and this is where this ‘talk’ comes from, it’s most definitely not something for middle aged people to fall out over.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

i say 60s soul ..quickly followed by 'the rarer more underground stuff'

have you played this to your drum and bass mates?..not northern more funky edged but almost drum and bass!

https://youtu.be/jhFA-RPN3qA

dean

It is and all... LTJ Bukem remix? ;)

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yeah, comes with a stigma attached if you ask me, in the NE we are up to our necks in the nostalgia thing, every weekend too many do,s on, If asked, just say "soul music, full stop" which is the truth, stigma I suggested is, Northern Soul=flying around in 40 inch bottoms with a vest covered in badges of places they,ve never f-----g been to and an Addidas bag in tow with change of vest after they've scorched the floor to Frank Wilson.We have all that going on up here in abundance. Hate it.

Kev

I was proud in the 70s, 80s and 90s to say Northern Soul. Now, exactly as you Kev as its the same here in the East Midlands.

Social source share

Surely there can't be many people that don't know what Northern Soul is these days, can there?

With all the TV ads, and programmes, and radio 2 blasting it out ever few tunes, and records like 'mercy' and

the video that went with it etc etc.

I have always said Northern Soul, in the early days OK, they had an excuse for not knowing,

but now, no excuse whatsoever, and if they don't know what it is, then, just say, like Tamla Motown.

I was talking with a woman in a nightclub who is in her 50's and she said she had never even heard of The Four Tops!! So I didn't bother mentioning Northern Soul!

Social source share

Like many, I reply that I'm into Soul, adding Northern Soul in particular, but as Tezza just mentioned, it tends to get followed by "such as who? Who's your favourite artist/group?"

That's the hard bit, when you're excited by so many different great singers and groups. Most of the time I can't remember half the names even though I might jump up to dance on the first few seconds of hearing a track. I tend to plump for Bobby Womack but know it doesn't in any way really give a sense of the range of Soul I collect, listen and dance to.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I just say 'Northern Soul', most have an idea, but then follows the embarassing talcum power and The Snake conversations, then I exit the conversation at the first possible chance.

I always wish then I'd said The Dooleys or The Rubettes.

Sometimes I skip Northern Soul altogether and just go with my other music loves, some being just as obscure to be honest, but somehow I don't mind getting into conversations about them, I don't like to do the same thing about Northern Soul, with the uninitiated for some reason, which is weird really.

Aid.

Social source share

The problem is most "normal people" cant comprehend thats there is so much depth and more to the scene than just baggy trousers and talcum powder. Theres only so many conversations you can get into with people who either take the piss or have no clue. You get a completely different response when you say "rare soul", people who have a clue will be interested, the divs wont. So instead of people with half a clue on northern soul taking the piss, you will most likely end up in a reasonably intelligent conversation or no conversation at all.

Its just as bad when I tell people about riding a Lambretta, a typical response is "so your a mod" or "do you have lights and mirrors". No I dont, and no I am not! I dont wear a parka either, it's not safe! I like rats, rustorations, street racers and cutdown. But people still cant get past lights and mirrors, no wonder people wore t-shirts with "im not a fucking mod" printed on them.

Yes people are more aware of subcultures nowadays, but they are only aware of the stereotype. And there lies the problem for most people on all the scenes, they have grown past the stereotypes and the more people associate people with them, the less they want to be associated. It's like the original mods, when mod went big, most of the top mods called themselves stylists to disown the masses.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest drewid

The problem is most "normal people" cant comprehend thats there is so much depth and more to the scene than just baggy trousers and talcum powder. Theres only so many conversations you can get into with people who either take the piss or have no clue. You get a completely different response when you say "rare soul", people who have a clue will be interested, the divs wont. So instead of people with half a clue on northern soul taking the piss, you will most likely end up in a reasonably intelligent conversation or no conversation at all.

Its just as bad when I tell people about riding a Lambretta, a typical response is "so your a mod" or "do you have lights and mirrors". No I dont, and no I am not! I dont wear a parka either, it's not safe! I like rats, rustorations, street racers and cutdown. But people still cant get past lights and mirrors, no wonder people wore t-shirts with "im not a fucking mod" printed on them.

Yes people are more aware of subcultures nowadays, but they are only aware of the stereotype. And there lies the problem for most people on all the scenes, they have grown past the stereotypes and the more people associate people with them, the less they want to be associated. It's like the original mods, when mod went big, most of the top mods called themselves stylists to disown the masses.

re the lambretta when im in a situation telling someone i have one , i find myself blurting out as a follow up "i dont have lights and mirrors on it" i almost cringe if they ask me, so i get it in first!!!! music i just tell em "black american music" they can make what they want of it then.As ive got older i find i cant be bothered to explain about diana ross etc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

re the lambretta when im in a situation telling someone i have one , i find myself blurting out as a follow up "i dont have lights and mirrors on it" i almost cringe if they ask me, so i get it in first!!!! music i just tell em "black american music" they can make what they want of it then.As ive got older i find i cant be bothered to explain about diana ross etc

I must admit I went on a fair ramble there, it just frustrates me how people expect you to be a certain way if you ride a scooter or listen to northern. Then they look t you like your a fake because you dont live up to the stereotype.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

It sure is easier to reply to the normal man in the street which is less damaging than telling the truth on here. Once singled out - you become subjected  to the "genre labelling", harmfully opinionated and downright correcting.

:lol:  :lol:                  

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i say 60s soul ..quickly followed by 'the rarer more underground stuff'

have you played this to your drum and bass mates?..not northern more funky edged but almost drum and bass!

https://youtu.be/jhFA-RPN3qA

dean

Intresting, it really does sound just like drum n bass. I actully dont mind it up untill that awful guitar bit, is it me or is it all over the place and out of tune?

Would love to hear more wierd records like this, I wonder if there are any others out there that sound like drum n bass or more modern dance music

Social source share

...sorry folks...but I am confused as to why anyone should 'hide' their love for the music...or scene?! In 40 years of following/supporting it...not 1 person has ever said owt wrong to me about my following of it or their preceptions of it in a ridicul;ous manner! Why I ask myself? Is it because I look them square in the eye unapologetic? Is it because i believe in my music and they daren't mess with it...? Whatever their reason for taking me serious...it's worked!x

I do mention the telly ads.....they like that and it makes it 'normal' for them i suppose!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

PROUD NORTHERN SOUL SUPPORTER...!x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...sorry folks...but I am confused as to why anyone should 'hide' their love for the music...or scene?! In 40 years of following/supporting it...not 1 person has ever said owt wrong to me about my following of it or their preceptions of it in a ridicul;ous manner! Why I ask myself? Is it because I look them square in the eye unapologetic? Is it because i believe in my music and they daren't mess with it...? Whatever their reason for taking me serious...it's worked!x

I do mention the telly ads.....they like that and it makes it 'normal' for them i suppose!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

PROUD NORTHERN SOUL SUPPORTER...!x

Eat some Porridge mate :D 

All the best,

Social source share

...I've stuck to Felix Len...since i've been awaaaaay.....!xhehe!x

I do get confused so stick to keep it oats so smple! When we was about 'hacking it' around the Country....R&B...was only heard at Norvern gigs! Since then...they reckon they is playing it in every Night Club and it's across the charts???? I keep listening......and watching....but nope....it ain;t R&B as me Norvern R&B....NOWT like it....so I LOVE Northern Soul....and tell all about it...end of! No variants then init?!x

@@
~
LUV
STODGY
X

Social source share

"What music are you into Liam?" asks a young 21 yr old who is playing radio 1 

Well, I like both kinds of music . . . . . Northern and Soul  (I know, blatant rip off from The Blues Brothers). Just a few more Tittyshakers before bed!

Social source share

when people ask me i usually say "rare soul" to avoid the baggy trousers  and vests  that northern soul usually brings into the conversation

then when asked what groups/singers/artists are rare soul

i rattle of a list of random soul artists and the person im talking to loses interest

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I say....."Sh*t Motown that never made it, you wouldn't like it"

:D

run out of likes Len sorry i had to leave early last nite but projectile vommitng would have ruined the dance floor!!

I'm better now hope your second spot went well.

Garry.

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

run out of likes Len sorry i had to leave early last nite but projectile vommitng would have ruined the dance floor!!

I'm better now hope your second spot went well.

Garry.

....Why, didn't my first spot?! :ohmy:  :D 

See ya soon mate :wink: 

Social source share

Me: i listen to northern soul. (confused look) oh its rare soul music that was popular in the north of England

Person: Oh so you listen to, like, northern, soul bands from the seventies?? (i.e. bands from the north playing soul  :facepalm: )

This has happened on more than one occasion and i can see the person just picturing the happy mondays in suits with saxophones... 

Social source share

So what sort of music do you like Martin?
Modern Soul.

Eh, what's that.

You know what Northern Soul is?

Yes.

Well now get rid of the silly clothes & silly acrobatic dancing, the pop stompers & move forwards 30+ years & you're heading in the right direction :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!