Dancefloors?

Barry

Reading one of the lads in a thread there mentioning it being nice to play without the pressure of a dancefloor and I do find it funny that if you take the dancefloor out of the equation people do tend to enjoy an evening more.

From the punters side there seems to be less moaning about what's getting played and from the jocks side you can play a wider spectrum of music.....everyone's happy.

People DO seem to enjoy* a night more without one.

Why is that?

* I think the definition of enjoy is the key to the answer to this question btw :wink:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

How do you 'enjoy' a night more without a dance floor if you like dancing? Personally I don't think that particular sentiment is representative of the vast majority of people who are into northern, I certainly wouldn't bother going if the venue advertised 'No dance floor' :)

:wink:

Social source share

I suppose dancefloors are peoples benchmark of how well a dj is doing to everyone watching - they polarise peoples attention one way, to the physical and not the auditory.

No dancefloor - no way of judging - so no problem....maybe!? :wink:

Social source share

i think the people who go to a venue that does not have a dancefloor and /or djs that play to it enjoy it because they are the ones that you see sitting around at venues that do have dancefloors!..dont get me wrong its upto them if they dont wanna dance...some are chatting vinyl all night..while others are maybe...dare i say it ..too old or unfit for various reasons to dance..at least to the uptempo stuff

personally ive been to a few with dodgy dancefloors,none that havnt got one,that would be a pub wouldnt it ?  i dont normally go back...maybe as a social if theres nothing else on...which is VERY rare!

Social source share

If a venue has no dance area it does mean that a wider variety of tempos can be played so a DJ can play tunes that wouldn't get an airing normally. But surely these would be niche events, perhaps an afternoon session in a pub. I'm sure most of us who go out to events in the evening want a dance floor, even if many don't actually dance.

I'd find it hard to listen to many records without wanting to get up and dance. Imagine Lifeline or the 100 Club with no dancing, just couldn't see it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i think the people who go to a venue that does not have a dancefloor and /or djs that play to it enjoy it because they are the ones that you see sitting around at venues that do have dancefloors!..dont get me wrong its upto them if they dont wanna dance...some are chatting vinyl all night..while others are maybe...dare i say it ..too old or unfit for various reasons to dance..at least to the uptempo stuff

personally ive been to a few with dodgy dancefloors,none that havnt got one,that would be a pub wouldnt it ?  i dont normally go back...maybe as a social if theres nothing else on...which is VERY rare!

I'm not really talking about dancing, I'm on about the fact that the atmosphere tends to be a little less intense without a floor to be danced upon.

It seems to be more about appreciating the music and hence less brouhaha - as people obviously take what is going on on a dancefloor into account when they appraise an evening.

When has a full dancefloor meant it has been a pearler of a night?

Social source share

I'm not really talking about dancing, I'm on about the fact that the atmosphere tends to be a little less intense without a floor to be danced upon.

It seems to be more about appreciating the music and hence less brouhaha - as people obviously take what is going on on a dancefloor into account when they appraise an evening.

I'm visualising Stoke, then the dance floor full of fold-able chairs and an appreciative audience clapping politely and shouting bravo, then the last DJ of the night, taking the encore and slamming on the three before eight :) :) 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm visualising Stoke, then the dance floor full of fold-able chairs and an appreciative audience clapping politely and shouting bravo, then the last DJ of the night, taking the encore and slamming on the three before eight :) :)

You're not getting it are you Winnie?! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand what you are saying here. I am sometimes at a night and sit or stand waiting for a record that I want to dance to, especially early on in the evening. The absence of a dance floor changes the whole atmosphere because it becomes more of a social event, there isn't the interruption in conversation when a tune comes on that you have to dance to, so you say "excuse me" and go the dance floor, then come back and try (usually unsuccessfully) to carry on the conversation. Non-soul people at our events find this quite odd.

On a personal note I don't mind events without dancing if you know what you're getting. As I like slower tunes it's a good opportunity to hear them.

I think that most DJs would regard a night with a full dance floor as a pearler of a night. However much you tell them that the people sitting down are enjoying the music a full dance floor proves it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Played at a few bars in Munich, and the main factor to people enjoying themselves is alcohol consumption. People will actually try and dance at some stage, regardless of a dedicated floor being there.  Also the majority will chat more about the music being played.

I don't think you enjoy yourself more if you are a regular dancer - you can't express yourself without a decent floor!  However, the level of alcohol consumed soon counter balances this!   People get up on tables, strip off, argue over the track!  Use bar furniture as percussion instruments, and harass you more!  They look like they're enjoying themselves more... but really they're just pissed up. 

Social source share

I think that most DJs would regard a night with a full dance floor as a pearler of a night

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

DJ's would though - I filled the floor at the last SSW but I wouldn't say I played a pearler of a set, just saw the last bloke struggle his bollocks off with a load of rareities and did what I had to do to bring it back round...prostituted meself for the dancefloor maybe.

Dancefloors are dangerous. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just to put the record straight.

I'm the same weight as when I went to Wigan and I'm a Dancer....i mean a real DANCER!! :wink:

So this thread is not in any way attempting to turn Soul events into Bingo sessions, just a light hearted prod at dancefloor politics and attempting to unlock the mystique surrounding why social non-dancefloor music events tend to be a little less intense.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Played at a few bars in Munich, and the main factor to people enjoying themselves is alcohol consumption. People will actually try and dance at some stage, regardless of a dedicated floor being there. Also the majority will chat more about the music being played.

I don't think you enjoy yourself more if you are a regular dancer - you can't express yourself without a decent floor! However, the level of alcohol consumed soon counter balances this! People get up on tables, strip off, argue over the track! Use bar furniture as percussion instruments, and harass you more! They look like they're enjoying themselves more... but really they're just pissed up.

unfortunately, this is becoming more and more true of our regular venue here in Copenhagen. I guess it can be fun if you yourself are pissed, but to call it a crowd of serious soulies is a far cry. A few of us here are aiming at trying to find a new venue with a more suitable dance floor and where hopefully a more dedicated crowd comes. it's fun to have a balance of both, but as a DJ for me the real reward is playing to people who know and love this music... dance floor or not.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...I get you and agree but that keeps it at level one - underground - no exposure can't be good.

'Underground' will only keep things exclusive, contained and insular.

unfortunately, this is becoming more and more true of our regular venue here in Copenhagen. I guess it can be fun if you yourself are pissed, but to call it a crowd of serious soulies is a far cry. A few of us here are aiming at trying to find a new venue with a more suitable dance floor and where hopefully a more dedicated crowd comes. it's fun to have a balance of both, but as a DJ for me the real reward is playing to people who know and love this music... dance floor or not.

PS.

Hope it's not too difficult to approach a club venue with floor - see if they'll give you a Tower Soul night (not wanting to start a different thread on this topic!) - but I'm sure you'd like enjoyment for all.  (Good luck on the search.)

Edited by dave2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I am now expecting loads of "Dancers Only" nights, in wich there is a dance floor and no music! :D

Alot of places are already like that

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I suppose dancefloors are peoples benchmark of how well a dj is doing to everyone watching - they polarise peoples attention one way, to the physical and not the auditory.

Alot of dj,s play as if their audience are all in their cars driving along.....it,s dance music that creates an atmosphere.....sadley to much  "in car music" gets played

Social source share

Listening is an involuntary activity, dancing is a voluntary activity. Maybe the need to physically rev up to dance, plus the adrenalin, plus you have switched from just listening to concentrating on what you're hearing in order to recognize the stuff that you want to dance to, makes the difference.....so its a kind of natural behaviour? 

Maybe people "enjoy" the music in a different way with no dance-floor in the sense of appreciating the music for its qualities other than the beat or rythm and tempo that you look for, or actually need, in a dance track?  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Reading one of the lads in a thread there mentioning it being nice to play without the pressure of a dancefloor and I do find it funny that if you take the dancefloor out of the equation people do tend to enjoy an evening more.

From the punters side there seems to be less moaning about what's getting played and from the jocks side you can play a wider spectrum of music.....everyone's happy.

People DO seem to enjoy* a night more without one.

Why is that?

* I think the definition of enjoy is the key to the answer to this question btw :wink:

This has got to be a wind-up ,you can't be serous .......Can you ?  :rofl:

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If a venue has no dance area it does mean that a wider variety of tempos can be played so a DJ can play tunes that wouldn't get an airing normally. But surely these would be niche events, perhaps an afternoon session in a pub. I'm sure most of us who go out to events in the evening want a dance floor, even if many don't actually dance.

I'd find it hard to listen to many records without wanting to get up and dance. Imagine Lifeline or the 100 Club with no dancing, just couldn't see it.

When Soul in the City was in Shoreditch there was no dancefloor, but it didnt stop us dancing did it Geoff?

One of my fave memories was Janet turning up with an old door she'd rescued from a Skip as one of the other local pubs was being renovated. Someone even put some talc on it :lol:  :thumbup:

Social source share

......Oooooo, am I dreaming?!!! :lol: 

Don't worry Barry - You ain't seen me D.J mate :D 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

......Oooooo, am I dreaming?!!! :lol: 

Don't worry Barry - You ain't seen me D.J mate :D 

All the best,

The post is about music without dancefloors len...............if barry was at a venue you dj,d at ...he would see music that people sleep to :D

Social source share

The post is about music without dancefloors len...............if barry was at a venue you dj,d at ...he would see music that people sleep to :D

:lol: See you at 'Snooks' Saturday mate - John's gonna ring ya :yes: 

All the best,

Social source share

Does talc work on carpets ?

Just a thought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :g:

No, but it works on Grass! :yes:.......a Cleethorpes Sunday Night 'After Party'.....a very, very long time ago :lol: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:lol: See you at 'Snooks' Saturday mate - John's gonna ring ya :yes: 

All the best,

i,ll have to find something to keep me awake :lol:

Social source share

If there is no dance floor, you don't know if anybody is listening to your music or just getting drunk!

Dance floor reaction keeps things on track! 

Without the dance floor DJ's would wander into there own little worlds of music!

Social source share

If there is no dance floor, you don't know if anybody is listening to your music or just getting drunk!

Dance floor reaction keeps things on track! 

Without the dance floor DJ's would wander into there own little worlds of music!

I'd rather D.J's go into 'their own little worlds of music', rather than 'someone else's world of music' - D.J's who have their own identity are so much more interesting and enjoyable (to me anyway)

......Actually, that's not really what you were getting at were you? You meant, they would forget they were there to entertain. Still, I mean what I say in 'as long as they still entertain' kinda way :D 

.....God, I'm cr*p at staying 'on topic' of late - I do apologise! :D

All the best,

.....F*ck me, or am I 'on topic'?........I've confused myself now! :huh: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Does talc work on carpets ?

Just a thought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :g:

Sure does, and as you can see from the clip, still possible to spin too :D

Did anyone else used to fancy Jenny Logan?!

Back to the thread topic...I actually dance more if it's a smaller floor, if that makes sense?...and even better if there's a quieter corner in the room to just lose yourself for a couple hours when you fancy it. Did that at Soul Essence a few weeks ago (smallest dance floor of any soul event I think?) and enjoyed that more than the massive floors of say Brid or Stoke. Down to how you feel on any night I guess and what music is moving you at that time.

It is great to see a huge packed floor a couple times a year mind you :yes:

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Don't worry Terry, I'll bring a pillow for ya - I'm pleased with one of my sets if people stay in the room! :D 

You'd be good doing a set in a toilet cubicle ....at least there'd be one person in there....opps sorry forgot about your little nueances

Social source share

:D

When Soul in the City was in Shoreditch there was no dancefloor, but it didnt stop us dancing did it Geoff?

One of my fave memories was Janet turning up with an old door she'd rescued from a Skip as one of the other local pubs was being renovated. Someone even put some talc on it :lol:  :thumbup:

Remember that night well Mike. That was proper funny! Bit of a character was Janet :yes:

Mind you think we've all had plenty of practice dancing on the carpet! :D

Social source share

don't know how you all feel about the lea manor, but to me it was a combination of both, it had the floor if anyone wanted to dance and the regular standing area for those who didn't and two crowds who were precisely like that and the dj's COULD play what they wanted, fast or slow...this may  sound nonsensical or perfectly feasible because 99 out of a hundred venues ARE  about dancing and how good the dancefloors are, whereas, the manor wasn't particularly good, dancefloorwise but it was the one in a 100 where that thesis didn't matter because it offered a thinking man's/woman's music policy, hence intuitive playlists that weren't necessarily uptempo in the main. the banter at the bar, the record browsing, the drinking and general socializing, didn't hide the fact that the ears of many a non conformist connoisuer were bent, listening to every offering and in tandem with the enthusiasts of the floor, would show mutual appreciation for a dj's set by applauding at the end. would i be right in thinking the venue in doncaster is run along the same loose lines?, ive seen plenty of photo's of this on here and that dosn't look like it has a floor, but plenty of people who appreciate the music, such is the strength of the monthly attendances.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:D

Remember that night well Mike. That was proper funny! Bit of a character was Janet :yes:

Mind you think we've all had plenty of practice dancing on the carpet! :D

She was indeed Stubbsy. Great times down at all the SITC venues. Miss those days sometimes.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

don't know how you all feel about the lea manor, but to me it was a combination of both, it had the floor if anyone wanted to dance and the regular standing area for those who didn't and two crowds who were precisely like that and the dj's COULD play what they wanted, fast or slow...this may  sound nonsensical or perfectly feasible because 99 out of a hundred venues ARE  about dancing and how good the dancefloors are, whereas, the manor wasn't particularly good, dancefloorwise but it was the one in a 100 where that thesis didn't matter because it offered a thinking man's/woman's music policy, hence intuitive playlists that weren't necessarily uptempo in the main. the banter at the bar, the record browsing, the drinking and general socializing, didn't hide the fact that the ears of many a non conformist connoisuer were bent, listening to every offering and in tandem with the enthusiasts of the floor, would show mutual appreciation for a dj's set by applauding at the end. would i be right in thinking the venue in doncaster is run along the same loose lines?, ive seen plenty of photo's of this on here and that dosn't look like it has a floor, but plenty of people who appreciate the music, such is the strength of the monthly attendances.

A bit like Valatone in London. Good dancefloor plus a great area to sit and have a chat.

Social source share

Guest frenchie

Alot of places are already like that

Only you could post that  :lol:  Me and Jan would be knackered without a dancefloor!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Only you could post that  :lol:  Me and Jan would be knackered without a dancefloor!!

Hello pen...hope you're well...give our regards to stupot....love tezza & jan x..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!