Dave Mitchell & The Screamers On P.s. 'the Trip'

Guest paul ledden

Guest paul ledden

Dave Mitchell & The Screamers on P.S. 'The Trip'

I picked this up cheap off eBay three or four years ago. As you can see it's not in the best condition but the vinyl is fine and it plays perfectly.  I know it's anything but fashionable these days. However I like it and I would like one in better condition.  Just sticking a post in 'wants' won't tell me what the availability is.....hence, anyone any idea of how many of these are around?

JM (6th Edition) has it down as £150 in tip-top condition....relatively cheap in the general scheme of things....I think finding and buying one for that price might prove more arduous a task than the price suggests..... 

Any information appreciated.

Paul

post-30233-0-90591900-1368182071_thumb.j

Social source share

Might book at £150 but find someone who'll pay that!

I've only had this once, the initials are the owners but can't remember his full name (someone will know).  Undoubtedly hard to find but just as hard to sell.  If I was buying I wouldn't pay more than  £75 

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul Serrano's label - Jazz trumpeter, I think.

Des

Paul Serrano had his own studio & label (PS) in the 70's / 80's and before that he played on 100's of Chicago soul recordings.

See here ........ https://www.discogs.com/artist/Paul+Serrano#t=Credits_Technical&q=&p=1

Boba will know loads more about his exploits no doubt. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Don't come up very often at all. was on my wants list for a fair few years without ever seeing one. I'd put top buying price at around £100, but again,  i's a hard thing to find, and if there's someone else sees the same copy you do, that price could go up.

Social source share

Guest paul ledden

Don't come up very often at all. was on my wants list for a fair few years without ever seeing one. I'd put top buying price at around £100, but again,  i's a hard thing to find, and if there's someone else sees the same copy you do, that price could go up.

Story of my life Mr C...... :(

Social source share

Guest paul ledden
:lol: 

You could consider the gold colour MET label version?  That's tons cheaper.

Reminds me of my wife..."You've got loads of records...why do you need to buy any more"? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry dave2...hadn't clocked that you were taking the p+ss...you slotted that smiley in after...nowwwww....I get it!!!! :)  

Edited by Paul1958
Social source share

Reminds me of my wife..."You've got loads of records...why do you need to buy any more"? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thought I'd post, I just picked one up last Saturday@ Bamberg Weekender for 30 Euro's.  Love the intro, but personally I'd fade it out after 1:30 when the insane sax starts to go ape. :thumbsup:

I know I'm mad. :D

ATB

Dave

Edited by dave2
Social source share

Guest paul ledden

I've come to terms with this.  Someone put a wants up asking for Busters All Stars - Jet 707, a record which I'd got and would never sell, then I thought about it and decided it was crazy to keep it when I could get a white label copy for £10 and it would sound exactly the same.  So I sold the original.  A few years ago I sold all of my Northern originals and replaced them with pressings.  I only play them here so I don't have to prove anything to anyone, and they sound the same as the originals, so I'm happy enough.

You're clearly afflicted by 'sanity' Pete...you poor Lad!!!!! :lol:

Social source share

I've come to terms with this.  Someone put a wants up asking for Busters All Stars - Jet 707, a record which I'd got and would never sell, then I thought about it and decided it was crazy to keep it when I could get a white label copy for £10 and it would sound exactly the same.  So I sold the original.  A few years ago I sold all of my Northern originals and replaced them with pressings.  I only play them here so I don't have to prove anything to anyone, and they sound the same as the originals, so I'm happy enough.

Can you offer some kind of therapy Pete, I just can't do it.

Social source share

Guest paul ledden

£100 Paypal Gift waiting for anyone who wants to sell........ :thumbsup:

Only interested in this tune on the P.S. Label

Edited by Paul1958
Social source share

Sorry dave2...hadn't clocked that you were taking the p+ss...you slotted that smiley in after...nowwwww....I get it!!!! :)  

Sorry mate, I was being serious with the alternative record.  No idea where the smiley came from - apologies if there's confusion. 

Rarer P.S. is difficult to get without spending loads, so I was genuinely suggesting the cheap as chips alternative legit gold MET label, repro =black MET label.  Some folks (me included) have a dilemma of what and when to buy (including demo v. stock) entirely driven by the dosh available.

ATB

Dave

Social source share

150622040213.jpg

I " inherited " a few records from a mate's brothers collection when I started in 82' and this was one, as soon as Wigan closed in 81 ' , having, attended since day one  that was it for him !!

But I can honestly say , having attended venues up and this bloody country for 30 yrs , I have never heard this played out !!! , not even at Wigan reunions !!!!!!

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

thanks for the post..

just been into record cupboard to dig this out to play.........annoyed the dog and the kids but left a big smile on my face......what were they doing in the studio when they cut it?

genuinely forget what a mad bonkers noise it is ..............forget the fashionable view that everyone wants to tell you northern is...

instrumentals may not be everyone's cup of poison, but I would honestly rather hear this out than most of the crap pedalled as Top 500 sounds and played to death to a revivalist audience with painted on ears and baggy trousers........

it is rare on PS.

What's it worth?

Probably more than a lot of big ticket items...however as an unfashionable sound its not gonna go for book value....where's the kudos in paying through the nose for this ?  :)

However, I would love to see how Manship would wordsmith an auction advert for this........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest paul ledden

150622040213.jpg

I " inherited " a few records from my a mate's brothers collection when I started in 82' and this was one, as soon as Wigan closed in 81 ' , having, attended since day one  that was it for him !!

But I can honestly say , having attended venues up and this bloody country for 30 yrs , I have never heard this played out !!! , not even at Wigan reunions !!!!!!

Social source share

• 5 months later...

Following on this thread......

One PS copy on Pat Brady's auction list at the moment.

I think he confirms that it's rare on blue PS.

see pic of the one he's got...

However...

"he's spelt the title wrong" thinks I...

See pic of mine.....

I guess the demos were just a typo....

How many of these around then?

post-28865-0-82231400-1382128616_thumb.j

post-28865-0-97863000-1382128627_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

150622040213.jpg

I " inherited " a few records from a mate's brothers collection when I started in 82' and this was one, as soon as Wigan closed in 81 ' , having, attended since day one  that was it for him !!

i think originally it was a levine 'mecca'spin..he raved about it..a month or two later it was forgotten...

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I loved it when someone first played it at WC, probably John Vincent, I bought it on Met, for about a quid at the time, It's a pure dancer, the bastard son of Saxie Russell.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!