Oscar Perry Fan Club

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ive always been keen on this chap.such a smooth voice . I even like Guys spin on Feron these days :ohmy: .. Whats your favourite

Oscar Perry (born 1943 outside of Houston, Texas --- died 2004 ??

Toss up between 'I've Got What You Need' & 'Wind Me Up'

Social source share

Mighty body(hotsie totsie)is that by him :lol: or called something totaly diferant? :ohmy: i like it anyway :lol: even if it aint him.

Thats Leon Byrant , a great singer too .. great dancer mighty body

By the way , "Just what you orderd " Yellow Horizon 001 is my current fav

Hmmm down home good lovin baby !! :)

Oscar_P_Yellow_001_.mp3

Main_string_.mp3

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

'I Got What You Need' classic soul classic memories. I heard Richard play it on his radio show and he credited its discovery to a guy I remmeber from Rochdale called Ally Craigen, a Mecca regular. Ally emmigrated to Australia and I've never heard from him since. He once played basketball for England Schools. Any OZ fans heard of him?

Social source share

"Come on home to me" & "I was right" - B sides of "I got what you need" & "Mainstring" respectively................opened my eyes to what real soul was all about in the mid 70's!

The above 4 are all desert island discs for me!

Love almost anything by the man - he's a legend!

btw I have an unreleased acetate thingy on tape by him called 'Is it so hard to know' (or something like that) - fantastic 70's dancer played by Adey Croasdale on Richard's show years ago - did this ever see the light of day (i don't think it did) - this would be so right for the scene today methinks????

Adey - if you're reading this please could you let me know the story on this acetate?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

"Come on home to me" & "I was right" - B sides of "I got what you need" & "Mainstring" respectively................opened my eyes to what real soul was all about in the mid 70's!

The above 4 are all desert island discs for me!

Love almost anything by the man - he's a legend!

btw I have an unreleased acetate thingy on tape by him called 'Is it so hard to know' (or something like that) - fantastic 70's dancer played by Adey Croasdale on Richard's show years ago - did this ever see the light of day (i don't think it did) - this would be so right for the scene today methinks????

Adey - if you're reading this please could you let me know the story on this acetate?

Cheers

Steve

Mp3 please Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ive always been keen on this chap.such a smooth voice . I even like Guys spin on Feron these days :lol: .. Whats your favourite

Oscar Perry (born 1943 outside of Houston, Texas --- died 2004 ??

I met and had dinner with Oscar in Houston in 2000. Very nice, gentle man. Such a shame he passed too early...

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

I met and had dinner with Oscar in Houston in 2000. Very nice, gentle man. Such a shame he passed too early...

TONE :ohmy:

Thats interesting , what was on the menu . Big fan of USA food .. ( not burgers mind you :lol: ) Hows Terry , by the way Tony

Simon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thats interesting , what was on the menu . Big fan of USA food .. ( not burgers mind you :lol: ) Hows Terry , by the way Tony

Simon

...We had Vietnamese food, as it happens. Houston has the largest concentration of Vietamese immigrants in the whole USA, and what used to be the epicentre of the blues and soul scene there (i.e the streets around Lyons, Dowling and Erastus) is now their equivalent of London's Banglatown, with a huge array of restaurants and all the street names in Vietnamese first and American English second.

It was very hard to maintain mental images of people like Lighnin' Hopkins, playing on those same street corners almost 60 years earlier, with the aroma of Pho and Com Dep everywhere you turned...

TONY :ohmy:

PS: Which Terry do you mean?

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

It's an unissued master tape and I've got another equally as good, slightly more manic. It needs some plugging if you're volunteering.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

It's an unissued master tape and I've got another equally as good, slightly more manic. It needs some plugging if you're volunteering.

Cheers

Ady

Mark B/Steve G

Do you mind - I believe Adey was talking to me :lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

Adey

Please ignore those two - what do they know (hee hee only joking)

Would be VERY happy to oblige (on both tracks of course whistling.gif )

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Edited by Steve P
Social source share

Mark B/Steve G

Do you mind - I believe Adey was talking to me :lol::lol::D:D:D:D

Adey

Would be VERY happy to oblige (on both tracks of course :lol: )

Cheers

Steve Plumb

now now mr plumb dont be so greedy.

anyway you know my taste in music is better than yours :D , and what better way than the orwell and the greatstone to plug oscar perry unnisued sounds whistling.gif probably loads.

mark

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ May 25 2006, 10:32 AM) link

anyway you know my taste in music is better than yours :lol: , and what better way than the orwell and the greatstone to plug oscar perry unnisued sounds whistling.gif probably loads.

mark

Aye, you knew i was only joking and yes i know your taste is better than mine - that's what i like about you Mark, you're sense of humour (hee hee)

The Orwell & The Greatstone plugging unreleased Oscar Perry sounds good to me :lol:

Actually, we'll carry on plugging the released stuff too - Staples like I got what you need, Mainstring, He sent me you and quite a few more will always get spun as far as i'm concerned.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

QUOTE(mark.b @ May 25 2006, 10:32 AM) link

anyway you know my taste in music is better than yours :lol: , and what better way than the orwell and the greatstone to plug oscar perry unnisued sounds whistling.gif probably loads.

mark

Aye, you knew i was only joking and yes i know your taste is better than mine - that's what i like about you Mark, you're sense of humour (hee hee)

The Orwell & The Greatstone plugging unreleased Oscar Perry sounds good to me :lol:

Actually, we'll carry on plugging the released stuff too - Staples like I got what you need, Mainstring, He sent me you and quite a few more will always get spun as far as i'm concerned.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

mainstring and i got what need my 2 faves my latest plug at the moment from a different artist is dutch robinson cant get along without you goes down well. ok if i havent got better taste it must be the looks yes thats it i'm better looking :lol: i know so cos my mother tells :D . mark (the handsome promoter)
Social source share

Mark B/Steve G

Do you mind - I believe Adey was talking to me :lol::yes::yes::lol::D:D

Adey

Would be VERY happy to oblige (on both tracks of course :thumbsup: )

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Steve

Haven't you got enough records already??? :lol::lol:

Steve

Social source share

• 7 months later...

I Love 'I Got What You Need', Mainstring, It's Too Late Now etc.

But I've been playing 'I'm On My Way' on Paradise a lot lately over on this side of the water, a bit 'harder' than the tracks mentioned above, but great none the less. Such a shame he's gone.

Did you get to see him perform live Tony?

Social source share

Have to say "Mainstring" sums up The Highland Room to me more than any other record played there.

That fabulous piano intro still gives me an unbelievable buzz - one of the finest soul records ever. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME .

Have to agree with Plumby "Sir Oscar" - always give good value on his tunes - his 'B' sides are immense.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Have to say "Mainstring" sums up The Highland Room to me more than any other record played there.

Oooo NO...would have to disagree there! For me, "I Got What You Need" is the ULTIMATE Mecca anthem. It has the PERFECT skipping rhythm that the "new Mecca" dancers demanded. This record deserves to be gold plated and framed in the 'Modern Soul Hall of Fame' as a permanent tribute to that exciting period! Love the ballad B-side "Come On Home To Me" also, and "Let's Take A Raincheck" on Yellow Horizon is simply superb.

P.S. Which was the one that got a release on Phil LA of Soul? "Come On Home"/cw ?? - I've forgotten!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Did you get to see him perform live Tony?

...In a manner of speaking, yes, I did - I was in Houston's main recording studios, Sugar Hill (formerly Gold Star) playing through piles of mastertapes in a small room, and he was in one of the main studios there, doing some vocals and overdubs for one of those albums he released around the turn of the century (this century, I mean!)

Couldn't resist the opportunity to go into the control booth a couple of times and watch a master at work!

TONE

Social source share

...In a manner of speaking, yes, I did - I was in Houston's main recording studios, Sugar Hill (formerly Gold Star) playing through piles of mastertapes in a small room, and he was in one of the main studios there, doing some vocals and overdubs for one of those albums he released around the turn of the century (this century, I mean!)

Couldn't resist the opportunity to go into the control booth a couple of times and watch a master at work!

TONE

Nice little memory for you, Tony.

Social source share

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this awesome track from '85.

Just total class and unmistakably Oscar! was first introduced to the track by my mate the late Steve Plimmer from Shrewsbury.

He just had one of those unique soul voices which you instantly knew who it was. Couldn't possibly be anyone else but Oscar Perry.

Sadly missed, one of my all time heros!

We're Gonna make it - oscar perry - quazar 102

13632 refosoul

1985 and total class!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this awesome track from '85.

Just total class and unmistakably Oscar! ....

1985 and total class!

Yes, you're absolutely right! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

tHE FIRST oSCAR pERRY RECORD I RECALL HEARING IS STILL MY FAVOURITE

200lbs OF NATURAL JOY....................YES OF COURSE............. "I GOT WHAT YOU NEED"

Yes, like the Lou Rawls record I've been bangin' on about elsewhere, it's SO uplifting to the spirits. Soul plus!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

So glad "We're gonna make it ' finally got a mention, my copy is on a MOVE 12 incher (what a great little label that was, which of course at the time took totally for granted!) with a very delicate pencil drawing on the front.

Still love 'I got what you need' best tho !!!

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!