Salmon - Dave Simpson - Rip (Was: Very Poorly)

Guest frenchie

Guest coltaylor1

There are loads of times I can think of where Salmon has had us in stiches. I might be blethering on. but feel  i have to say Salmon was a many facetted person. A real diamond. I could tell you loads of stories about this grumpy outspoken bloke. But I will share one. When I couldnt gegt a babysitter for my lads, who   are both in their 30"s now. and Col would go to a niter without me. And more often athan not I got a knock on the door about 10pm and in would stroll Ross and Salmon. Saying weve just called to make sure your ok. Theyd stay fro a bit. make me laugh - wind anybody who hd the misfortune to call in. And make sure my door was locked and the boys were comfy when they left. When Ross died I thought Salmon would not make it. He proved me wrong. 

Im not going to spell check this to to honour Salmon, who always said "Fucking hell Karen your a true blonde If you learn to spell you could go far!" 

Love you always fella. KAren x

Social source share

VERY SORRY TO HERE THE NEWS OF A SOUL GENT

R.I.P SALMON

SID&BERNADETTE

Social source share

I don't know if mine and Salmons paths crossed or we shared nights together in the 90's. I feel as though I missed out if we didn't. The sign of anyones life is how much they get back. It is clear from your posts he was a giver and man of the people....and soulful with it. From your posts....I know the character....and know he left a lot of happy and funny memorys behind. Take them with you and have a dance at your next gig for him. If he's the kind of guy I believe he was...he'd appreciate that as would his family. It's hard to say owt when you don;t know someone 'personally'...and hope this post relays my sincere sadness at this loss to you and us all...X R.I.P...Salmon....and thanx for making a difference to so many...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

Any charitable cause that may be sorted in connection with Salmon and his family then count me in...it's the least I could do for the family and friends he leaves behind......X

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That's a shame ,enjoyed many years of music and general life stories , most recently at the kestrel Burnley a few years ago - where we did the most hilarious record deal i've ever done ! That will be how i will remember him ... my best wishes to close family and frends. A.d

Social source share

Guest coltaylor1

Over the weekend I intended adding to this thread but kept getting sidetracked and didn't.

I was gonna say summat like "As we get older we forget how long we've known some people, as the years turn slowly but very quickly into decades.

Fairly certain I first met Salmon in the mid to late eighties and soon recognised him as a 'good lad'. He knew his records and was always after more.

Our paths didn't cross for a long long time until he started coming over to Paul Harris's Bradford soul nights last year. We carried on chatting and having a laugh like we'd always done previously oblivious to the long gap in seeing each other. We traded some records and I got a long time want off him.

To be honest I can't recall the last time I actually went to Rochdale (not sure if going to Mick Howard's in Heywood counts), think it might have even been one of Salmon's soul nights at Spotland (home of Rochdale FC) years ago and I hoped I wouldn't be next going to the town for all the wrong reasons.

But as things turned out it sadly looks like I will be visiting Rochdale very soon to pay my last respects.

Salmon was one of the old school and very much a part of the fabric of this weird and wonderful scene of ours.

He will be much missed by many.

Take care fella wherever you may land.

Derek

nice what you said Derek.  Salmon will be sadly missed. The things I remenber about Salmom afre sandbach services before and after satafford. the cyberman from Preston. At Dave Malloys,  and allthe other tricks you  pulled on me, If I could write a book I would. there are so many things to remember him by would blow your mind, known Salmon for years seems like forever, cafrnt remember when I didn't know him, He wilbe sadly missed . Its a big hole taken out of my live. I will miss you like mad. I know you will be waiting for me and he wont be on his own when he gets there where ever he has gone on his journey.   He will be welcomed by old friends - tooo many to list. you werent religous Salmon but be save you grumpy old get!  Col

Social source share

Guest coltaylor1

just heard that salmons funeral  is  WEDNSDAY 22nd MAY AT 1,40 pm AT ROCHDALE CREMATORIUM  BURY ROAD ROCHDALE OL11 4DG 

Edited by coltaylor1
Social source share

just heard that salmons funeral  is  WENSDAY 22nd MAY AT 1,40 pm AT ROCHDALE CREMATORIUM  BURY ROAD ROCHDALE OL11 4DG 

just heard that salmons funeral  is  WENSDAY 22nd MAY AT 1,40 pm AT ROCHDALE CREMATORIUM  BURY ROAD ROCHDALE OL11 4DG 

Hi Col/Karen,

Just started new thread

ATB

Tony

Social source share

I didn't know him personally, but I have dealt with him a couple of times. A great experience every time.

Very sad to hear this. R.I.P. Many condolences from me. 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!