Articles: Gamble Records Full Discography

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The other "dawn" who recorded on Apt, ABC, and UA was white singer Dawn Capiola, who was part of Dawn and Billy on Mercury. She was from Philly. Does anyone know if the woman pictured in the middle of "the dawn" on Gamble was Dawn Capiola? Thanks in advance.

Social source share

Great Soul source posting

I have the Gamble Records All Stars compilation album and if my memory serves me the Dee Dee Sharp "What kind of a lady" is a different take on this album than the 45 release ? Any info on that ?

Tfk

post-3067-0-29585400-1368258506_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-04603400-1368258521_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-70304800-1368258536_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-37340500-1368258554_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

The other "dawn" who recorded on Apt, ABC, and UA was white singer Dawn Capiola, who was part of Dawn and Billy on Mercury. She was from Philly. Does anyone know if the woman pictured in the middle of "the dawn" on Gamble was Dawn Capiola? Thanks in advance.

I can't give you a positive yes, but it seems very likely. The Billy was Billy Carlucci who was a native of Philly and had a group who signed to Landa. He was also friends with Johnny Madara and Patti Labelle. Given the coincidences and the Italian names I'd put money on it.

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Great Soul source posting

I have the Gamble Records All Stars compilation album and if my memory serves me the Dee Dee Sharp "What kind of a lady" is a different take on this album than the 45 release ? Any info on that ?

Tfk

Yes indeed, they are different versions. The timing shown on the LP is wrong, it actually clocks in at about 3.44, giving a whole extra minute of bliss including some great backing harmonies. Also, the dynamics have been adjusted, giving a much better sound quality,The probable reason the 45 version is shorter is that the manufacturing techniques of the time meant longer records had worst acoustics.

Sacrilege to some, but for me the LP version is the superior recording.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The timing shown on the LP is wrong, it actually clocks in at about 3.44, giving a whole extra minute of bliss including some great backing harmonies. Also, the dynamics have been adjusted, giving a much better sound quality,The probable reason the 45 version is shorter is that the manufacturing techniques of the time meant longer records had worst acoustics.

Plus radio stations tended not to play tracks longer than 2:30...even major labels would sometimes state a shorter running time than they actually ran for, in order not to put off the programmer/DJ.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!