Dreamgirls Musical To Be Made Into Film

Headsy

• Replies 8
  • Views 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

december 2006 sees this film coming out,anybody seen the musical when it was in the States ?susposedly based around the Supremes ?

I heard it was based on your bra wearing preformance at the Wilton :ohmy:

Edited by KarenC
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

december 2006 sees this film coming out,anybody seen the musical when it was in the States ?susposedly based around the Supremes ?

i haven't seen it - i believe it ran on broadway for a while, i don't think it ever ran outside of new york

it's best known for two things:

1. jennifer holliday singing and i'm telling you i'm not going - one of the most soulful recordings ever (and jim carrey's party piece) - apart from this amazing ballad, the score is rubbish; and

2. the controversy around it being a thinly veiled hostile biography of diana ross' relationship with the other supremes and how she engineered them becoming her backing singers despite the fact that she was probably the least talented vocalist - it's really stinging, think it may have been losely based on an autobiography (frances'?)

i believe from memory that ms ross' representatives tried to get it closed, but were unsuccessful in argueing in court that the similarities with real life could have been coincidental

would love to see the film though - no doubt the lawyers will earn a shitload when ms ross hears the news!

Social source share

Found this on imdb.com

Effie White, Deena Jones, and Lorrell Robinson - three friends from Chicago - are a promising singing trio called The Dreamettes. Accompanied by their songwriter C.C. White (Effie's brother), they travel to New York to compete in a talent show at the Apollo Theatre. Although the girls lose this first bid for fame, their talent attracts an ambitious manager by the name of Curtis Taylor, Jr., who uses unscrupulous tactics to move the girls from backup singers of superstar James "Thunder" Early to superstars of their own. Curtis reshapes the group to "crossover" from R & B to the lucrative pop music scene. Lead singer Effie gets replaced by the more attractive Deena and is eventually dropped from the trio. The group evolves into a more sophisticated group, The Dreams, with a lighter sound and chic look. They successfully attract a "whiter" audience and The Dreams rise to international stardom. The money, fame, and adulation, however, doesn't bring them happiness. Deena decides to leave The Dreams and pursue a film career, and when the group finally learns of Curtis' drug problems and payola schemes, they decide to let it all go. At the final appearance of The Dreams, they reunite with Effie for one final number. The score includes And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going, I Am Changing, One Night Only, Fake Your Way to the Top, When I First Saw You, Dreamgirls, Steppin' to the Bad Side, and Cadillac Car.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!