The 'mainstream' Label (s)

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How many labels called 'Mainstream' have there been?

When did they run from and what were their significant releases?

There has only ever been one Mainstream label, which started in late 1963/early 1964 and ran till 1976. No matter what design of label you see, or numbering series, all the variations of Mainstream were owned by the same man, Bob Shad. Shad also owned the Brent and Time labels, which brought us great records by the Moovers, Brenton Wood, Bertha Tillman et al.

There are a couple of hundred records on Mainstream, covering all genres of music. Probably from a commerical point of view, the label's biggest discoveries were Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes and Janis Joplin and Big Brother & the Holding Company, but fortunately they also signed some good acts along the way :yes::yes::yes:

For me the best record on Mainstream is Special Delivery's "I Destroyed Your Love" , one of the greatest sweet soul records ever made...

TONE :D

Social source share

There has only ever been one Mainstream label, which started in late 1963/early 1964 and ran till 1976. No matter what design of label you see, or numbering series, all the variations of Mainstream were owned by the same man, Bob Shad. Shad also owned the Brent and Time labels, which brought us great records by the Moovers, Brenton Wood, Bertha Tillman et al.

# Many thanks Tony, very interesting stuff.

. Probably from a commerical point of view, the label's biggest discoveries were Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes and Janis Joplin and Big Brother & the Holding Company,

# Whooooo? Only heard of JJ and that's because of her early tragic death.

For me the best record on Mainstream is Special Delivery's "I Destroyed Your Love" , one of the greatest sweet soul records ever made...

# Clarence Hill for me.

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

How many labels called 'Mainstream' have there been?

When did they run from and what were their significant releases?

How about one of the best 70's tracks ever,definitely significant to the Modern crowd, Almeta Lattimore - These Memories

Social source share

Dramatics - No rebate on Love & Alice Clark LP

Yes, but exactly WHO was in this apparently bogus line-up of the Dramatics ???

I have copies of Blues & Soul and Black Music from the time and they never clearly stated what the personnel was on this record ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

There are a couple of hundred records on Mainstream, covering all genres of music. Probably from a commerical point of view, the label's biggest discoveries were Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes and Janis Joplin and Big Brother & the Holding Company, but fortunately they also signed some good acts along the way :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TONE :lol:

My perspective on the label is obviously based on a handful of soul records, but was a lot of the product licenced in from else where ???, as opposed to being recorded for the label ?.

Russ

Social source share

TONE :thumbsup:

Is there a full discography somewhere Tony ???.

Russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Is there a full discography somewhere Tony ???.

Russ

Hi Russ,

I have a pretty much complete one, but it's in a format that I can't reproduce here (and anyway, even if I could, nearly 200 singles takes up a lot of posting!)

If you want to PM me with your home or office e-mail address, however, I'll gladly send it to you there as an attachment..

To answer your earlier question, I think that the majority of records on Mainstream were actually recorded for the label in that very few seem to have been on other labels previously...

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, but exactly WHO was in this apparently bogus line-up of the Dramatics ???

I have copies of Blues & Soul and Black Music from the time and they never clearly stated what the personnel was on this record ? :thumbsup:

I have a feeling that it's something to to with Wee Gee Howard from the actual Dramatics, who had temporarily left the group at that time. It's certainly a Detroit recording...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Jeany Reynolds -Down on me/Please dont set me free

Jeannies first 45 ,apparently her brother LJ had just finished a session and did the background vocals on this as she had done on his.

Have a listen to both sides

but be carefull they were recorded quite high.one for sale £80 pm me

Edited by Adam G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!