Sam Dees 6 Copies Available

I think we have all made similar poor decisions Derek. I know I have on numerous occasions.

ONE EXAMPLE ......... Back in 1970 I was on a degree course at Sheffield Poly. I had entered as a 'mature student' who had already worked for some years in Civil Engineering, so some parts of the course (the practical bits) I already knew backwards.

So I used to bunk off those lessons and slope off into Sheffield city centre to check out the record shops. I came across a store that was closing down its record department and had been left with all the old 45's from companies that didn't take returns. So they were clearing out labels such as Action and numerous reggae labels.

So I was faced with a room full of fine singles at 10p each. I bought one copy of each Action 45 they had, numerous other little label soul things and loads of reggae 45's.

I intended to play through them all & go back to buy quantity of the best things.

I left it a week (longer than I had intended) & when I went back with my 'list of buys', the place had been cleared out of all the good stuff. DOOOOH. 

Social source share

Hi Derek.Your post reminds me of one of my record buying adventures in the late 80's. I bought 5 copies of "Paramount Four - Until it happens to you", a relatively unknown track at the time, for $4 each, from a US dealer. The plan was to sell them on but in the end I had no takers and gave away as many as I could to my mates, which was the sum total of 3 copies. Fast forward to 1991 and I notice that I still have the remaining 2 copies left. I keep one for myself and put the second on this new fangled website called "ebay". Lo and behold it sells for £50 and I'm well chuffed. But if course there's a sting in the tail.....At the same time that I join e-bay I also open a Paypal account and the winner paypals me the funds. What I didn't know at the time was that you needed a nominated bank account so that pay-pal could pay me. After 30 days with the money in my paypal account and no sign of me nominating an account for PP to release the funds into, they refund the buyer his £50. So I never got a penny for any those records and never made it as a record dealer.

On a similar theme, around 1998 I went into the Kings Hall Stoke with 5 copies of "Darrow Fletcher - My young misery" priced to sell at £4 each and left 7 hours later with the same 5 copies. 

I don't really bother trying to sell records anymore  :-)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think we have all made similar poor decisions Derek. I know I have on numerous occasions.

ONE EXAMPLE ......... Back in 1970 I was on a degree course at Sheffield Poly. I had entered as a 'mature student' who had already worked for some years in Civil Engineering, so some parts of the course (the practical bits) I already knew backwards.

So I used to bunk off those lessons and slope off into Sheffield city centre to check out the record shops. I came across a store that was closing down its record department and had been left with all the old 45's from companies that didn't take returns. So they were clearing out labels such as Action and numerous reggae labels.

So I was faced with a room full of fine singles at 10p each. I bought one copy of each Action 45 they had, numerous other little label soul things and loads of reggae 45's.

I intended to play through them all & go back to buy quantity of the best things.

I left it a week (longer than I had intended) & when I went back with my 'list of buys', the place had been cleared out of all the good stuff. DOOOOH.

What was this shop Roburt?

Social source share

What was this shop Roburt?

Now you're askin sumat, after all it was over 40 years ago.

As I recall, it was an electrical shop that had a record department rather than a dedicated record shop. It was about 100 yds down from the Town Hall on the west side of Pinstone St (before that becomes the Moor). But my memory could be a bit defective & I have no idea what its name was. 

Social source share

Now you're askin sumat, after all it was over 40 years ago.

As I recall, it was an electrical shop that had a record department rather than a dedicated record shop. It was about 100 yds down from the Town Hall on the west side of Pinstone St (before that becomes the Moor). But my memory could be a bit defective & I have no idea what its name was.

I think I know it but the name escapes me at the moment...... used to be quite a few of these shops which sold records.

I bought an Alex Patton (English Capitol) on London Road for 30p around 73 from a disco equipment hire shop, they had records selotaped to the window (stuff on Chess, Prince Buster stuff etc) so I went in. Happy days.

Cheers Chris B

Edited by SOULFULHOUND
Social source share

Guest Paul

I remember having at least half a dozen unplayed copies of Sam Dees on SSS International in the early to mid 1980s and they were hard to sell at about £5.00 each.  

I'm pretty sure I got them from Wim kamps at House Of Sounds in stock exchanges, I'd wholesaled a lot of new Malaco LPs to him and others on the continent.

As always, the value started to rise after they'd all gone, as it did with so many others such as Guitar Ray, Stephens & Foster, Bill Brandon etc.

I often wonder where all the copies went to but they're out there somewhere I suppose.

Paul

Social source share

I remember having at least half a dozen unplayed copies of Sam Dees on SSS International in the early to mid 1980s and they were hard to sell at about £5.00 each.  

I'm pretty sure I got them from Wim kamps at House Of Sounds in stock exchanges, I'd wholesaled a lot of new Malaco LPs to him and others on the continent.

As always, the value started to rise after they'd all gone, as it did with so many others such as Guitar Ray, Stephens & Foster, Bill Brandon etc.

I often wonder where all the copies went to but they're out there somewhere I suppose.

Paul

Been unlucky there Paul, Sam Dees, Guitar Ray and Bill Brandon were in demand from the late 80,s onwards, Stephens and Fosters stature grew a bit more recently, best example I suppose was Lee Fields "Take me back" (Tyra's Song is better imho) but the reason for that was a certain DJ deciding to play it, then all of the sheep who couldn't appreciate it as a great record previously, all started to clamour for it, not going to complain cos I did OK out of it.

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello Kev,

I hardly thought about rarity values because so many of the 45s were pretty new or quite recent releases at the time and I was usually more focused on deep soul.

And, looking back, I think I assumed (as many did) that I could always get a few more copies if I needed them.

I probably only bought a few copies of Stephens & Foster at about £2.00 each but nobody wanted them at the time.

I also remember selling bulk stock of things like Lew Kirton's 'Heaven In The Afternoon' and Wilson Pickett's 'How Will I Ever Know', at least a hundred copies of each, maybe 200 copies, to northern dealers.  I think Pat Brady bought one or two of those titles in bulk.  What year was Wilson Pickett credited to Brother Louie?  I was always amazed about that because to me the voice was so obvious.

I hope you're keeping well and look forward to catching up soon.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Kev,

I hardly thought about rarity values because so many of the 45s were pretty new or quite recent releases at the time and I was usually more focused on deep soul.

And, looking back, I think I assumed (as many did) that I could always get a few more copies if I needed them.

I probably only bought a few copies of Stephens & Foster at about £2.00 each but nobody wanted them at the time.

I also remember selling bulk stock of things like Lew Kirton's 'Heaven In The Afternoon' and Wilson Pickett's 'How Will I Ever Know', at least a hundred copies of each, maybe 200 copies, to northern dealers.  I think Pat Brady bought one or two of those titles in bulk.  What year was Wilson Pickett credited to Brother Louie?  I was always amazed about that because to me the voice was so obvious.

I hope you're keeping well and look forward to catching up soon.

Paul

Defo catch up Paul, Tomo is keeping me really busy listening to a load of David Ruffin stuff at the moment, will be through to see you both next couple of weeks

Best Regards

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!