"foreign Language" Northern Tracks?

Are there any northern tracks that are not sung in English? Or are any versions in the native tounge played at events abroad? I know there's an Italian version of Long After Tonight Is All Over, and several of the Motown classics sung in Spanish, Italian and German by original Mowotn artists.

How about this outing by Rocky Roberts, sort of fits the beat

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Are there any northern tracks that are not sung in English? Or are any versions in the native tounge played at events abroad? I know there's an Italian version of Long After Tonight Is All Over, and several of the Motown classics sung in Spanish, Italian and German by original Mowotn artists.

Rocky Roberts did a couple more in the same vein...'Stasterra Mi Butto' is a furious uptempo stormer!! pity only my mum can understand it! It's on the flip of 'Just Because Of You'. another of his is 'Dove De Credi'...again, uptempo Northern.

In 25 years of collecting I don't know of any other foreign language Northern Soul except for those Motown ones you've already mentioned. There must be some, in particular original tunes other than just re-makes of popular songs.......anyone else?

Social source share

Are there any northern tracks that are not sung in English? Or are any versions in the native tounge played at events abroad? I know there's an Italian version of Long After Tonight Is All Over,

Soon as i saw the thread title that popped into my head, was done by a female, on the Kents Magic touch CD, quite a nice version :thumbsup:

Social source share

Soon as i saw the thread title that popped into my head, was done by a female, on the Kents Magic touch CD, quite a nice version :thumbsup:

i know the female versions by Irm Thomas and Dusty S, but the Italian version I have is by Jimmy Radcliffe. Would be nice to hear the famale Italian version - sound file anyone?

Social source share

do the french/canadian mecca things count

nanette workman lady marmalade in french

martin stevens no comment

or french superstar johnny hallyday who did some interesting versions of popular dance track of he 60,s

or posted up here a while ago, a french soul time

there is a belgian singer who made some "northern" type stuff that appears occaisionally on ebay, cant remember his name but the seller usually has sounbites, backing tracks are great then the vocals kick in....

Social source share

i know the female versions by Irm Thomas and Dusty S, but the Italian version I have is by Jimmy Radcliffe. Would be nice to hear the famale Italian version - sound file anyone?

Im pretty sure it was a female version anyway, been that long ago since i seen/listened to the CD, was a mates so cant even check or rip the track :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have a listen to What good am I by Two tons of love which is a fantastic record then flip it over to hear Soy Nada Yo Sin Ti which is the same track sung in some foriegn language. Dont know what the language is but Im sure someone on here can identify it.

Edited by Craig W
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I used to play 'C'est Toujours A Recommencer (It Always Happens This Way)" by Toulouse at the old Sideoor Soul sessions - lovely Musicle Shoals floater which turned out to be a French language version (with alternate lyrics) of Phillip Mitchell's then-unreleased "Just the Beginning" (same backing track, too!).

Would dig it out and play it again at MonuMENTAL this week, if I could only remember what label it's on (collection filed by label, memory filed under 'forget' these days...).

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have a listen to What good am I by Two tons of love which is a fantastic record then flip it over to hear Soy Nada Yo Sin tu which is the same track sung in some foriegn language. Dont know what the language is but Im sure someone on here can identify it.

Spaneesh mate....meanin "I'm nothin without you" (Not heard the track though!)

Edited by Delasoul
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Was in the local Japanese the other week and they were playing a Japanese language track which used something like the backing track of the Lost Soul with vibes added (it hasn't got vibes on it already has it?) Anyhow, I was sorely tempted to swing my pants in the queue but fortunately remembered that I don't dance anymore and resisted the urge. Anyone know anything more, it was rather good, as was the pork katsu with curry sauce. :thumbsup:

Oh, and I suppose this is a good point to mention Sukiyaki or whatever it was called (My First Ronery Night in its original Japanese version in case you haven't heard of it).

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not Northern Soul, but can anyone tell me what language - The Kingsmen Louie Louie is sung in?

Social source share

Guest smigger

The german speakers on here could do a lot worse than getting their hands on a cover of Son of a preacher man called Song vom Hilfsarbeiter by Lisa Bauer who later went on to become Lisa Fitz (and do the worst stand up mankind has had to experience).

The lyrics are so funny I was crying with laughter and slipping of the couch and whenever I thought it could not get any better......it did. Didn't half do my ribs in.

Jack White did a tune that relied heavly on riffs from Al Wilson's Snake.

And I believe Zeltinger Band a cover of Sliced Tomatoes in which he goes on to sing stuff about his Ma being a prostitute, his Dad being in the slammer and himself driving around on a motorbike. Haven't heard it myself but would walk a mile to do so.

Of course none of these are worth picking up unless you are in to comedy records.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Not Northern Soul, but can anyone tell me what language - The Kingsmen Louie Louie is sung in?

Didn't Ady C once describe this as the sound of someone singing whilst eating a hotdog sideways? I had to wait to hear the Motorhead version, which has clearer vocals, to find out what the lyrics are.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

do the french/canadian mecca things count

nanette workman lady marmalade in french

martin stevens no comment (God remember this, I have a copy boxed somewhere, and yes I agree no comment.)

or french superstar johnny hallyday who did some interesting versions of popular dance track of he 60,s

or posted up here a while ago, a french soul time

there is a belgian singer who made some "northern" type stuff that appears occaisionally on ebay, cant remember his name but the seller usually has sounbites, backing tracks are great then the vocals kick in....

Social source share

Guest Brian J

This one would have me runnin' for the door if I heard it played out!

What a god awful tune!

Social source share

baz , the italian version on the magic touch cd is jimmy radcliffe

Davie

Cheers Davie, last time i even saw the CD was nearly 5 years ago now, dont know why i thought it was femal :thumbsup:

Spaneesh mate....meanin "I'm nothin without you" (Not heard the track though!)

=============

Bloody multi linguists :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im more cunning :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Have some Johnny Hallyday stuff on vinyl but not any of his soul stuff only soul covers but in his style. But did loads of covers of old songs like Twisting the Night Away sung in French which i have on an EP

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!