Are You A Paranoid D.j?

Len

Are you a Paranoid D.J?

…….Or is it just me?

It’s no secret that I always work my set out prior to an event - It was for years mind (Teenage ‘angst’ an’ all that :D )……But I have always worried about repeating tunes, and I still struggle with playing stuff that ‘I played last time’. I still do, because ‘certain’ tunes at ‘certain’ venues are expected from ‘certain’ D.J’s, myself included albeit on a ‘local level’.

Some of you may remember an interesting article in Manifesto Magazine when Butch was interviewed and he covered this point, saying not everyone goes out week in, week out, so best not to worry…….but I do - I would hate it if I was known as a predictable D.J,…..In fact, the other week, I was talking to someone in ‘Len’s Den’ about a record I played, and this lad said (innocently) “Yeh, you played it last time”…….Not that he knew it, but I was absolutely devastated!  :D After I’d finished ‘self-harming’, I smashed the record into one thousand pieces! (You know what I mean)

So, does anyone else suffer from this worry?.....Or is it just me?......

N.B - It’s bl*dy stupid if you think about it, as some records have been repeated for 40 years in some places, and no one seems to mind at all — in actual fact, that’s what they want! :yes:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree Len,you should`t keep playing same records. I pride myself on trying to play a differant set each time,now and again i only repeat if

A/Been requested said track.

B/trying to break a new tune or i`ve played it on radio and it`s got a good response so try and give it another spin .

Obviously now and again everyone slips up and forgets,one of the reasons i try and do a playlist.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Nothing wrong with trying to have different sets all the time but that would depend on where your djn I would imagine Len,, if a regular dj then you gonna have to have one hell of a quality collection to keep standards up if wanting to not be predictable, on other hand you could play some beauties people want to hear again but sadly won't for that reason for waning to not be predictable. Personally I like to hear djs that play regular for example to keep introducing new tunes to their sets over a period of time and therefore you get used to some tunes while getting to hear newer stuff and bring back tunes not played for a while with the latest offerings to keep it fresh and a bit predictable aint a bad thing. Only ever take out tunes that no matter what will suit where your djn and if all thoughts go tits up a lucky dip will suffice lol.

Social source share

It's good that you play different tunes each time, keeps people interested in what you play.  Not that I go out much, but when out we do sometimes play the "predict-a-set" game and a lot of times we get it right.......... I also think it also depends on the venue/soul night as well.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

It's a while since I played my records out but I stopped planning my sets as it was a bit restrictive. What I eventually started doing was I'd listen to what was being played then decide on my first three records then go from there. It was much more exciting and made for better sets as every night is different so different things work week to week.

Social source share

Absolutely depends on the scene and the time said DJ is on. So whilst I admire the "never play the same record twice in your lifetime" principle, it's wholly unworkable in practice. Especially for DJs booked at Nights / Niters / alldayers in the peak period when most people wanna have a dance and wanna hear some stuff they know as well. As for unknowns - how do you build up a record if you only ever play it once?

Also some DJs are known for certain records as well, and the public expect to hear 'em, especially if they are exclusive / near exclusive to that DJ. That's not to say it should be "play by numbers" or the "willy waving" of a nice set of "trophy records" that I've witnessed from certain quarters recently either -now that is boring, except for those of us with our Bingo Cards ticking them off as they get played!

A bit of mix n match never did any harm.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree Len,you should`t keep playing same records. I pride myself on trying to play a differant set each time,now and again i only repeat if

A/Been requested said track.

B/trying to break a new tune or i`ve played it on radio and it`s got a good response so try and give it another spin .

Obviously now and again everyone slips up and forgets,one of the reasons i try and do a playlist.

That’s an admirable attitude, and Stevie P (‘Len’s Den’ resident D.J) hasn’t repeated one tune to date (Or hardly any at least)

I wouldn’t do (like you) and entirely change my set to the last one (at any given place) but I understand why you do it, and it obviously works for you. My sets change, but more gradually, dropping a few here and there. I may see it slightly different being a promoter, as my ‘job’ is different than when D.Jing ‘out of house’

All the best,

Social source share

Not that I go out much, but when out we do sometimes play the "predict-a-set" game and a lot of times we get it right..........

:lol: I played that with Gavin page at a do in Milton Keynes years back - Everyone even put money in the centre of the table - Whoever guessed correctly, got the cash! - Brilliant :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It's a while since I played my records out but I stopped planning my sets as it was a bit restrictive. What I eventually started doing was I'd listen to what was being played then decide on my first three records then go from there. It was much more exciting and made for better sets as every night is different so different things work week to week.

Yes, that makes sense.......but I simply couldn't do it! :huh: .......Brian Goucher, I'm sure will explain :D 

All the best,

P.s - The whole damn set gets changed every time! :excl: 

Social source share

I have always worried for your sanity Len after this thread im very concerned :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: ....I'm moved that you care mate :yes:  :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

not paranoid but memoryvoid!...and like you don't wanna repeat myself too much so will admit after each slot ive got a book I scribble my set down in..only started doin it since our monthly night started,with regulars comin every month thought it would be a good idea as I was never sure what Id played

don't changed my set 100% every time,have faves I cant seem to stop playing and are ones I know are well liked but always play tunes ive either just bought or have sat on the shelves for a while..changing a couple of dozen in the box each month

only ever planned my set in advance the first two times I played in 89...often put up tunes on our fb event meaning to play em and don't get around to it,thats WHY I love being behind the decks..never know where its gonna go 250 records in my box and its often upto the dancefloor what ones get picked..that doesn't mean I play safe oldies allnight though..couldn't imagine playing the same 20 records every gig BORING!

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I've always thought you were insane, but i don't care :lol:

......Now you know how sensitive I am Dave.........please confirm you are joking :( 

....Actually - Don't! :D 

All the best,

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

. That's not to say it should be "play by numbers" or the "willy waving" of a nice set of "trophy records" that I've witnessed from certain quarters recently either -now that is boring, except for those of us with our Bingo Cards ticking them off as they get played!

I quite like the idea of collectors competing with each other to shout out 'HOUSE!' at the end of a set :D

(or alternatively northern fans could join in shouting 'house' when Sam plays R.Kelly !)

Social source share

Are You A Paranoid D.j?

....who said that?

...!hehe!x

Len...your turn for readybrek!!x Dilemma! As a 'DJ'...in the DJ sense ie out to 'entertain' the masses.....what do you do when folk come up and ask for certain tunes.....wherever you go!!! It happened to me constantly! 'Sooty tunes' so to speak were 'predictable' from Cambridge to Carlisle...Stockport to Southend and all in between!! I was 'innocent; and every tune was 'new' to me as far as 'spinning' them and their 'place' in the scene! I spun Comin Home Baby Mel torme...for the first time in '93 at the City Stop....similar to Have Love Richard Berry and Cards on The Table....aaaand Carla Thomas....wherever i went...I was the only one 'known' for playing them on the circuit as such....so folk asked for them.....and I had to oblige....that's what they wos paying for....to be happy...I felt!!x 

Now...let's say you have 20/22 tunes in a set...perhaps 5 were already chosen for me!!! Hopes and Dreams....it HAD t be played wherever i went at the time...Soulies demand!! Was I slated for it??? NO...I don;t recall the dance floor emptying once....to any set! Was I 'predictable'?? NOPE...cos i always slung in 2/3 that I had never played before....and 1 of those would become the new 'Coming home' job!! So...I wouldn't worry too much mate! Unless your sat wiv the same mates in your Den each month all chewing the same spoggy!!hehe!x But....you get around....and mate....I used to come allll the way from Cambridge to Wellingboro when i got started to hear your Bud Harper...Daves Jeanette...Ciro's stompers......and NEVER got bored of 'em!!!x Mind you....if u was playing it every week in the past 14 years......!?!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....chill bruv!!....never ever had a clue wot i am gonna play until I open me box 2 minutes before I need too!!!x....even then....I might change me mind!!!hehe!x If it needed playing...and was right.....then just PLAY IT!!!!x

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest giant

I have always worried for your sanity Len after this thread im very concerned :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  well said Ted.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It's good that you play different tunes each time, keeps people interested in what you play.  Not that I go out much, but when out we do sometimes play the "predict-a-set" game and a lot of times we get it right.......... I also think it also depends on the venue/soul night as well.

I had a sudden flash of a promoter of the bestest allnighter in the world ever type event, handing out Bingo cards that people can mark off songs. When they get a full house, they can exchange the winning card for a Northern Soul clock, or mug of their choice. :D

Its the future, we're all in it together.

Social source share

Short 'Paranoid DJ' story:

Came out of Morecambe Pier Nighter about 84/85 - beautiful sunny morning, jumped into Bri's car and shot off after attempting and failing to find one of the DJ's (nameless) who should have been coming home with us.

Long story short, as we turned the corner outside his flat we saw him jumping up and down on some kind of book that was on fire - proper stamping on it.

WTF?

It was his diary.

Got it in his head the Squad were going to pay him a visit.

Never a dull moment back then. :wink:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

...wot about paranod Promoters?!! I asked about a Dave Clegg in the UKIP thread but got no answers! He was a promoter and busy fella in the 90's up t'Norf. This is how we met! He asked me to DJ at this new venue in Stockport...Cottons. He was everywhere attending functions at the time and doing his bit...so I said okdokey! A few weeks later...mini bus and a couple of cars pull up at midnight....as arranged. The car park was opposite the front doors...me and Fudge were looking straight ahead. The bouncers were chucking out the Night Club folk before we took over! Dave was waiting in the car park for us to arrive but walked past....briskly all professional like....said 'ill be back in a mooooment just sort this out!'. We hadn't even got out of the bus!!! He walked across to the fracas outside of the door....and as we approached him en masse....the Bouncer turned and punched him clean on the temple ad knocked him out....BANG!!! We rushed to help him up....he was definately dazed....and the bouncer came on all apologetic as he had assumed Dave was one of these clubbers coming from behind him!!! Dave had that manner of 'creeping up' at nights!! He'd tapped him on the shoulder believing the folk were Soulies trying to get in!! That was our 'introduction'!! He got up with help...we dusted him down....he danced the night away and the venue became 'cult' for the hardcore for a while!!

Never forget it....sparko.....whuuuump.....hehehehe!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

..thing is....he never complained or got angry or owt...just apologised for the grand opening ceremony......! We pi**ed ourselves all the way back home....every time we saw him...and still am at me desk here 20 years later!!!hehe! I hope he is well...or...not a mass murderer or summink since...he wos alright!...happy days!!!!hehe!x

cottonsdisc.jpg

Social source share

Dave Clegg was 'part of the furniture' at The 100 Club for years. I last saw him at Hatty's (of 'Hatty and Andy') Birthday a few months back in Notts. I hadn't seen him in a long time, but we spent most of the evening together 'putting the Scene right' :D  

I class Dave as one of my few friends :yes: 

All the best,

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

l didn,t know you dj,d lenny......you learn summat new every day......where do you dj? :)  :D  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Just because your paranoid dosent mean anybody likes you :wicked:

Oh yea and i know where you live !!!!!!!

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

A good friend ‘e’ mailed me today with ref this thread (and I quote) “a good read but I think you may have left yaself wide open there, chr*st you like to live on the edge Len! Lol”…….I’m starting to think he has a point Ted Massey, Dave Rimmer, Kev John, Sooty, Giant, Terry and Garry Huxley :D 

I thought the subject interesting as I’m sure (well wondered if) other D.J’s do worry / care about doing an ‘original’ (no ‘pun’ intended) job of D.Jing……and if so, may come forward to discuss.

…..It could be a ‘Northern Soul D.J Help Line’……..some ‘need help’ that’s for sure......Yeh, yeh, myself included (too easy!) :lol: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

A good friend ‘e’ mailed me today with ref this thread (and I quote) “a good read but I think you may have left yaself wide open there, chr*st you like to live on the edge Len! Lol”…….I’m starting to think he has a point Ted Massey, Dave Rimmer, Kev John, Sooty, Giant, Terry and Garry Huxley :D 

I thought the subject interesting as I’m sure (well wondered if) other D.J’s do worry / care about doing an ‘original’ (no ‘pun’ intended) job of D.Jing……and if so, may come forward to discuss.

…..It could be a ‘Northern Soul D.J Help Line’……..some ‘need help’ that’s for sure......Yeh, yeh, myself included (too easy!) :lol: 

All the best,

You know we love you really Len

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Your paranoia is good fun for us Len..don't fight it! Lol

Next time you're on in ya Den, turn the DJ times sheets over (which you may have spotted are neatly placed on each table in the room before you arrive)... I think you'll find a few of us have been playing soul bingo for quite a while now mate.

Social source share

Your paranoia is good fun for us Len..don't fight it! Lol

Next time you're on in ya Den, turn the DJ times sheets over (which you may have spotted are neatly placed on each table in the room before you arrive)... I think you'll find a few of us have been playing soul bingo for quite a while now mate.

Well no one could have won in 'The Den' :ohmy: ....It wouldn't be worth putting it on if so! :huh:

I know you're havin' a joke mate.....well trying to :glare:  :glare:  :glare:  :D .......Can you imagine? - I really would be 'absolutely devastated!' :yes: ...."By the time you read this etc....."

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"l didn,t know you dj,d lenny......you learn summat new every day......where do you dj?  :)   :D   :lol:"

..erm....he's struggled with the potential for over 20 years Gordon....!X

len.jpg

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

...I was given that by Dave Clegg Back Street Blue!! He came up and gave me it on the Anniversary night as a token of his appreciation of our crew to 'support' his venue. I've cherished it since and indeed it is with me wherever i DJ to this day!!x I thought it stood for Stockport Knockout Fan......??!!!x

@@
~

GREAT to hear he's still about Len...and give him a punch and a hug for me!!xhehe!x

So where do us DJ's wiv problems go these days??? Where u recommend...to a 'newbie'???!x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ethan McDermott

I am only 13 dj at three clubs and I always sort my set out before a event. if some dj plays a song I was going to play, I have plenty of choice as I used to only take a 200 box out, but I forced my dad to let me get a 300, so I fit 350- 375 in and I worry if I leave sorting out so I usually do it during the week, :) Ethan McDermott(E the Soulboy)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am only 13 dj at three clubs and I always sort my set out before a event. if some dj plays a song I was going to play, I have plenty of choice as I used to only take a 200 box out, but I forced my dad to let me get a 300, so I fit 350- 375 in and I worry if I leave sorting out so I usually do it during the week, :) Ethan McDermott(E the Soulboy)

How did you join Ewan ?

we do have a 16 and over only policy on here

if you joined via your facebook login then chance you may have missed this

sorry to say but am going to have to close your account shortly due to this policy

Social source share

It's not paranoia if they're really marking your set with bingo cards..... :shades:

Ian D :D

Truth is we haven't been Ian...of course not...too busy dancing :yes: (There you go Len...now how about "passing down" all those records you won't be "repeating" any more?! :thumbsup:)

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ethan....hopefully your still there...X Listen mate....BRILLIANT what your doing out there...HONEST!x I ran an all-nighter with a few other DJ's and there was this lad...he would have been about 12/13...he came to doo's with his dad and DJ'd at Soul Nights with him. I was so impressed....I gave him a spot at our All Nighter...!! He did 3 of his records during my spot...prime time...and ROCKED THE HOUSE!!! A super occasion and deserving. He came from Market Harborough...Len???!! Who was he...Pete was his dad I think???!! He'll be 25 ish now...and hopefully still flyinf the flag out there!! Ethan...keep on keeping on......and...if ure the guy who put the list of tunes up in the wants section...then I have some of them 'spare'! Send me an email to sooty@matso.tv and I will sort a couple out...no charge.....as long as you play them ok!!!x

Now...S*D OFF!!!x As Mike sez mate...this is an 'adult' zone!x There is all types of stuff talked about that ain;t nowt to do with your interests at 13 mate...or shouldn't be!x So...understand it ain;t anything u done wrong...if anything....u is doing FANTASTIC...and keep it up ok!x Your welcome at a future gig i'm involved in ok....sorted!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

...p.s....as Mike has got ure name wrong...he may delete the wrong account!!!hehe!x....so stay sharp....shut up....and read about the music to your hearts content....with this,,,,or a new account!!!! Any questions then send em to me via a pm...and i'll try and get an answer from someone no probs...our secret ok!!!!x 

@@
~

...for you adults...I was a school Governor for 5+ years....I used to slap em around the head when out of order.....I;ve mellowed since...X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

I am only 13 dj at three clubs and I always sort my set out before a event. if some dj plays a song I was going to play, I have plenty of choice as I used to only take a 200 box out, I leave sorting out so I usually do it during the week, :) Ethan McDermott(E the Soulboy)

.....I fear my mates will laugh, what with you being 13 and sounding sooooo much like me! :lol: ...The only difference being, that if a record I planned to play is played - I panic! lol......and if it's my opening record, well I just cry .....not really.....honestly...... :D

Sorry, you've had to leave us mate - Enjoy School, and stay away from the Soul Scene....For your own sanity.......'Cuckoo' :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It's not paranoia if they're really marking your set with bingo cards..... :shades:

Ian D :D

Oh god - Are they?!!! :ohmy: 

....Is anyone gonna be serious on here?!!! :lol: 

...Oh, you are? - Damn! :ohmy: 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!