Wayne Boykin / Bobby Wayne R I P

I don't know if this is already common knowledge but long time stalwart of the Pittsburgh soul music scene Bobby Wayne passed away last year.

Bobby was born Wayne Boykin, though for just about his whole music career he went by the name Bobby Wayne. After first establishing himself on the Pittsburgh club scene around the early 60's, he and his band (Bobby & the Vanguards) toured all over. They did gigs up in Ohio and across in Canada. While up in those parts he played shows backing Darrell Banks and the two guys got to know each other. Not long after this, Darrell had some shows in Pittsburgh (a week long engagement I believe) and Wayne went along to renew their friendship. Darrell hired him to open the show and the two became firm friends, Darrell made an effort & spent time schooling Wayne in stage technique.

In the late 60's, Wayne went across to LA and cut some tracks with Arthur Wright. Two of these were leased by Atlantic and released on 45 (credited as by Wayne Boykin) around summer 1969. Another track cut at that time, "Gray Skies" remained in the tape vaults until discovered by Ace about 10 years back. Ady liked the track and included it on a Kent / Modern compilation CD.

Wayne soon headed back to Pittsburgh and there he joined a group as their lead singer. He remained in the music biz right through the 70's, ending up in a local 'supergroup' Takin' Names.

Wayne continued to play live gigs until the late 90's when a US based NS fan hooked up with him and signed him to his Bonedog Records.

Some of his new recordings found favour with UK soulies and were licensed for release here by Grapevine.

Two more decent CD albums followed after 2000 and both of these ('Hit That Thing' & 'Soul Station') enjoyed decent sale levels.

Sadly Wayne passed away last year. 

post-22122-0-56373500-1368459127_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dave Turner

Not having looked into it I wonder if it's the same Bobby Wayne who put out the deep "Someday Little Girl" on La Val (Kallamazoo, Michigan)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!