Tunes You Long For An Instrumental Version Of

Guest paul ledden

Guest paul ledden

Tunes you long for an Instrumental version of.......

I've thought about this one for a while.  There are some tunes with vocals that are just so dominant (and good) yet the instrumentation is of equal if not better quality and you wish the 'B' side was an instrumental of the 'A' side.

Forgive me if this has been done before...however...this is my wish.....this tune has Sydney Barnes and Minnie Ripperton on vocals...so who am I to even suggest etc......but it also has a wonderful bass line and equally inspiring brass, drum rolls etc...all lost in the shadow of the vocals....just my opinion. 

Just imagine this as an instrumental...makes me tingle at the thought......

See what you think....would be interested in other suggestions......

.....alternatively....someone tell me that it already exists...and I just didn't know....would be worth looking a plonker for I can tell you..... :)

Edited by Paul1958
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know exactly what you mean mate. Sorry if this post is very slightly 'off topic' but I think it validates your point - Lately I have been playing 'out' the other side of 'Jesse Fisher - Your Not Loving A Beginner', which is the instrumental (hence the 'off topic', because there is one) ........But you listen to it loud and all the way through - It's incredible! There's so much to 'getcha feet into' - I've been playing it at 'The Den', but it's a 'Big Room' sound really.

Unfortunately I can't find a You Tube clip of it, but if any of you 'out there' has a copy - go and try it, you will be amazed.

For anyone who doesn't know the record 'full stop', I've posted the vocal side, just so you know what record I'm talking about. If anyone can post up the instrumental 'Waiting', I'd be much obliged.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In a conversation with Josie Jo Armstead a few years ago, she told me she had a tape with an instrumental version of 'Stick by me baby'. But she couldn't remember if it was just the track or a fully instrumented alt version, now that would be something I'd love to hear.

PS She also said it was one of the worst tracks she had ever recorded, took forever to get the group to sing it the way she wanted it to sound.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Tunes you long for an Instrumental version of.......

I've thought about this one for a while.  There are some tunes where the vocals are so dominant (and good) yet the instrumentation is of equal if not more quality that you wish the 'B' side was an instrumental of the 'A' side.

Forgive me if this has been done before...however...this is my wish.....this tune has Sydney Barnes and Minnie Ripperton on vocals...so who am I to even suggest etc......but it also has a wonderful bass line and equally inspiring brass, drum rolls etc...all lost in the shadow of the vocals....just my opinion. 

Just imagine this as an instrumental...makes me tingle at the thought......

See what you think....would be interested in other suggestions......

.....alternatively....someone tell me that it already exists...and I just didn't know....would be worth looking a plonker for I can tell you..... :)

In the 70t's I hunted high and low for instrumental of this, never found one though  :( and agree it could have been massive at the time when instrumental was king.

Social source share

I always thought the backing, and the Drums especially on Carolyn Crawford - My Smile is just a Frown, are just out of this world... actually the drums in this are exquisite.. the backing as a whole is out of this world, and Carolyn's singing is Unbelievable.. is a hard one, but those drums..

what can you say... oh and the vibes...and the piano..... :wink::thumbsup::wink::thumbsup::thumbup::elvis: :elvis: :elvis:

Mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

"Wee oo I'll Let It Be You Babe". 

The backing track of this record is a brilliant Miles Grayson composition.  I always though both different vocalists (L.L. & K.E.) are weak and the backing track makes it! 

So I think an instumental would have been great.

Social source share

"Wee oo I'll Let It Be You Babe". 

The backing track of this record is a brilliant Miles Grayson composition.  I always though both different vocalists (L.L. & K.E.) are weak and the backing track makes it! 

So I think an instumental would have been great.

the instrumental does exist...its attributed to music box and was originally on the press of louise lewis.

Social source share

Best instrumental ever would be Dean Courtney's I'll Always Need You, with full orchestra playing, amazing

only natural pete, when it's pied piper, so what's the chances that adey has come across it along with all the other familiar tunes and he's got them stashed away for a rainy day! :shhh:

Social source share

the instrumental does exist...its attributed to music box and was originally on the press of louise lewis.

Well I learn something new everyday!  I had both artists 45's on originals.  I have had the boot, but I thought it had both vocal versions back to back?

Social source share

Well I learn something new everyday!  I had both artists 45's on originals.  I have had the boot, but I thought it had both vocal versions back to back?

There is a boot with both vocal versions, but the instrumental is on a yellow skyway label with Karl Evans as the flip. It was pressed with the labels reversed.

Social source share

only natural pete, when it's pied piper, so what's the chances that adey has come across it along with all the other familiar tunes and he's got them stashed away for a rainy day! :shhh:

Dean Courtneys "I'll Always Need You" would indeed be a superb backing track, and with Ady trawling the RCA archives maybe one day it will turn up, albeit improbable unless the original multi track master tape turns up and a mix down can then be made.

This is a song, alongside "My Soul Concerto", that Len Barry took with him to RCA, and would be Double Diamond / Champion songs. They would have nothing to do with Pied Piper.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dean Courtneys "I'll Always Need You" would indeed be a superb backing track, and with Ady trawling the RCA archives maybe one day it will turn up, albeit improbable unless the original multi track master tape turns up and a mix down can then be made.

This is a song, alongside "My Soul Concerto", that Len Barry took with him to RCA, and would be Double Diamond / Champion songs. They would have nothing to do with Pied Piper.

Cheers

Mick

I think I asked Ady about this way back and he said not possible...

Social source share

Joey Heatherton !

Take away the vocals & then add some extra strings,

Agree...would be a belter! Oddly enough the Japanese Decca release is a different take and doesn't feature the backing vocals or tinkling piano as much...the brass instrumental break then becomes much more powerful!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!