Awesome Lyrics

opposite to the other thread if you don't mind.....some of the most brilliant northern & crossover tunes do have remarkably simple lyrics....nothing wrong with that....and then there are those that you hum along to, then listen carefully, end up knowing them off by heart, and finally the penny drops just how intricate, poignant, and clever they really are. who's you favourite artist/s for this, the exponents of the song that make the writers efforts sound so complete?. well, i think for one, darrow fletcher is right in this bracket...having pondered his catalogue, its unerring how each song is interlinked with smart, catchy verses that ring true and make you think. and out of the box titles in the main "what have i got now", my young misery", and...of all these, "infatuation"..i honestly HADN'T heard this...silly but it's true, but does the story twist and turn or not?...so, i'll pick one line from it..."just because you like my style, dosn't mean i'll walk you down the aisle" you just wouldn't hear that anywhere else!...let's have you thoughts and suggestions if you please.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Jimmy Conwell, either as solo or leading The Exits or The Light Drivers

Second Hand Happiness, Let it All Out, Under The Street Lamp, Dreams of a Shoeshine Boy, I'm So Glad, Another Sundown In Watts

and of course that old poetical fave

Too Much

Social source share

Jimmy Conwell, either as solo or leading The Exits or The Light Drivers

Second Hand Happiness, Let it All Out, Under The Street Lamp, Dreams of a Shoeshine Boy, I'm So Glad, Another Sundown In Watts

and of course that old poetical fave

Too Much

All fantastic examples Dave, "Under the street lamp" epitomises what soul is about for me, but now Im starting to think about "Dreams of a shoeshine boy" what the hell, all brilliant goosepimple jobs

Kev

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mrs M

Better - Ruby Winters on Diamond Records.. "Better to have somebody love you, for what you are not for what you can get etc.....

Is This The Way To Treat A Girl (You bet it is) - The Hesitations on GWP

I Am Nothing - Al Williams on La Beat and Palmer... Perfection

Just a few of my favourites that come to mind but the list is endless. Your beat ballads being the greatest of all for lyrics and true meaning.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Most poignant - The Drifter, Ray Pollard.

Funniest - I'm Giving You Notice, the Fidels:

"I caught you kissing another guy, right there before my eyes, and you have the nerve to say to me: Are you gonna believe what I tell ya, or you gonna believe what you see?"  

Priceless.

Social source share

On 26/05/2013 at 01:15, Guest Mrs M said:

Better - Ruby Winters on Diamond Records.. "Better to have somebody love you, for what you are not for what you can get etc.....

Is This The Way To Treat A Girl (You bet it is) - The Hesitations on GWP

I Am Nothing - Al Williams on La Beat and Palmer... Perfection

Just a few of my favourites that come to mind but the list is endless. Your beat ballads being the greatest of all for lyrics and true meaning.

Ruby Winters...Cont.

...better to be,an honest woman,

than an expensive bitch...Mmmm,

...better to know,he’ll be there waiting in the evening,when you need him...

SUPERB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!