Mid-Week Modern & Northern Soul Sevens For Sale

Hi Soul Diggers, hoping you're well. Here's a list of Northern & Modern Soul sevens to check out. If You see any thing here that you'd like to buy then please phone 0161 834 7783 (10.00 am - 5.30 pm) to order/reserve or post us a Reply through Soul Source.  

1. Ain't It Funny What Love Can Do - KENNY YOUNG (Share).....VG++......beautiful Northern Soul beat ballad with a great Van McCoy production.....£15

2. OO Wee Baby I Love You - FRED HUGHES (V-J......VG++.....this is the far superior rumbling piano-intro original, not to be confused with the Brunswick label later recording. Flipside, "Love Me Baby" is a nice bouncy, upbeat R&B/Northern Soul dancer making this a great double-sider worth investigating.....£15

3. The Penguin Breakdown - LJ REYNOLDS & CHOCOLATE SYRUP (UK Avco, 1972)......VG++........£8

4. When - JOE SIMON (Sound Stage 7).......Mint-......Joe's late 60's sides on Sound Stage 7 don't get as much acclaim as they should do, but there were one or two GREAT Northern dancers among them such as this brassy, upbeat dancer that begs for a DJ's assistance in getting it "out there"......£20

5. Beware Of The Stranger - HYPNOTICS (Reprise)......VG++.....great 1973 release that Richard Searling included on one of his two "You Better Believe It" Modern soul compilations, quality play-out........£15

6. Shake It, Shake It - WILLIE HUTCH (Motown).......Mint-.....starts with a funky ripple off Willie's guitar but soon jumps into Muscle Shoals-sounding, Bobby Womack-style dancer similar to "Home Is Where The Heart Is",a nice recommendation this 1976 release that's totally untouched by anything "disco"......£7

7. Yes We Do - CYNTHIA SHEELER (Skyra)......VG++........£50

8. I've Got a Feeling - THE HISPERS (Soul Train).......VG++......£20

9. He Knows My Key (Is Always In The Mailbox) - VIVIAN COPELAND (D'Oro demo)......VG++......£35

10. Happy Days - THE MAGICTONES (WEstbound)......Mint-.......£40

11. We're Not Happy - WALES WALLACE (Bashie demo)......VG++......almost all Wales wallace's singles are becoming rarities.........£70

12. Same Old Sweet Lovin' - THE DEVOTIONS (Tri-Sound)......VG++.....£30

13. I Finally Got Wise - BILLY KEEN (Galaxy).......brilliant Northern/R&B dancer able to be played anywhere on the current Northern scene with confidence that it will please all who hear it......£180

14. Baby / Can't Stop Loving You - OTIS LEAVILL (Brunswick).......Sweet soul rarity........£200

15. Lost In The Mood Of Changes - BOBBY BYRD (Smash).....VG++........£30

16. Safe and Sound - FONTELLA BASS (Checker)...Mint-...Chess didn't do what Motown did and Motown couldn't do what the Chess/Checker labels were doing, but between them they created the very bedrock of Northern Soul giving us so many great, great dancers. This Fontella Bass 1965 release is one-such gem; still going largely unplayed by the hard-working DJ's and yet spinning "Safe And Sound" would surely make their job a touch easier. We all love to see a full dance floor!!!......£15

17. Groove And Move (instrumental) / Do You See My Love - JUNIOR WALKER & THE ALL STARS (Soul)....brilliant instro with any amount of crossover potential, one to get excited about when heard!...........£10(!!!?)....Pick Of The Week, great bargain.

18. Got To Give It Up (Pts. 1 & 2) - MARVIN GAYE (Tamla)......VG++....the time has come to revive this excellent Summer Soul dancer and, by gum, you'll have a right good time doing so!.....£10

19. Where Would You Be - TENISON STEPHENS (Chess)......VG++.......this James Mack production has all the attributes of those great Chess dancers by The Radiants. If you liked those great 1966-68 sides, don't miss this earler.....£20

20. I Can't Make It Anymore - FRESH AIR (GRT)......VG++.....a blue-eyed version of the Spyder Turner Northern Soul classic which, did you know, was written by Gordon Lightfoot.....£40

21. It's All In Your Mind / Looking For a Fox - CLARENCE CARTER (UK Atlantic re-issue)......VG++........£12

22. Messin' With My Mind - CLARENCE CARTER (Ichiban).........VG++......£40

23. Your Love Is All I Need - CLIFF NOBLES (Atlantic demo)......VG++.......£45

24. I'll Do Anything - TONI LAMARR (Buddah).....VG++.......superb Van McCoy-produce dancer with all the style of Curtis Mayfield's way-of-doing. Not the Doris Troy tune, sure to encourage the dancers if played out in a club....Carl's Pick...£25

25. I Wanna Come Home To You Baby / Heading Home (inst.) - TOMMY BRYANT (T-Neck)......top quality "discovery", potential biggie......VG++.....£35

26. Just Ain't No Love - BARBARA ACKLIN (Brunswick)........VG++.....£20

27. If You Love Her / Sinner Girl - BENNY SPELLMAN (Sansu).......Mint-........£20

28. Talkin' About You, Babe / A Taste Of The Good Life - LITTLE CHARLES & THE SIDEWINDERS (Decca).......VG++......£185

29. I Keep Forgettin'- THE CHECKMATES LTD (UK A&M, 1969)......great version of song you'll maybe know by Chuck Jackson, this has a big Northern Soul backbeat.....VG++......£15

30. See See Rider - LAVERNE BAKER (Atlantic).....VG++.....good-timey R&B dancer........£10

31. Irrisistible You - BILLY HARNER (Kent)......Mint-.....thumping Northern Soul stomper, vastly over-looked in recent years but would be well-accepted if spun out......£15

32. Look At What I Almost Missed - THE PARLIAMENTS (Revilot).....VG++....class-laiden mid-tempo Detroit Northern Soul dancer that was also nicely done by Pat Lewis...£10

33. It's Gonna Rain - BOBBY WOMACK (Minit)........VG++...............£15

BOOKS: (take 10% off the list price through to the end of May)

CENTRAL 1179 The Twisted Wheel Story.....................£19.95

Kev Roberts' NORTHERN SOUL TOP 500..............£28.00

JOHN MANSHIP 2013 Price Guide...........................£28.00

Hype & Soul (Behind The Scenes At Motown)..................AL ABRAMS...............£35.00

Keele All-Nighter tickets (Sunday 25th August, BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND)....................£14.50p

Many thanks indeed for looking through the list, have a wonderful Wednesday, tryin' to keep dry!

Cheers, Carl (Beatin' Rhythm).

Many thanks for looking through the list

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now