Never Seen One Of These Before

In the late 50's, Pye invented a record player which not only played records but also recorded on blank discs!

Looks like you just changed the headshell and recorded into it using a microphone and you could record onto blank 'magnetic' discs.

Whether you could play these on other players, I don't know.

Has anyone ever seen one of these in action or even heard of them?

Amazing, I never knew these existed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think I started a topic about a similar machine some years ago when a chap in my my local record shop had one. I seem to remember being advised that the recordings were dreadful quality and it was hard to get the blanks. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Social source share

I think I started a topic about a similar machine some years ago when a chap in my my local record shop had one. I seem to remember being advised that the recordings were dreadful quality and it was hard to get the blanks. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Yeah I can imagine it would be the quality of those record your own record booth things they used to have on stations up until the late 60's.  But yeah very cool, I love vintage audio.

Social source share

Yeah I can imagine it would be the quality of those record your own record booth things they used to have on stations up until the late 60's.  But yeah very cool, I love vintage audio.

Haven't seen anything like that since I was a sprout. Bloke up the road had one, not sure if it was exactly the same.

Somewhere there was a disc of me shouting in to it. Probably abysmal "fidelity" but I don't remember. I do remember I was fascinated.

Social source share

It was called the Pye Record Maker .... they were 'the most exiting development ever' .....

...... you can still buy olduns on Ebay & the blank discs also turn up on there (& in charity shops).

Pye was based in Cambridge back then, so I guess quite a few turn up in that area.

post-22122-0-83227800-1368624582_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In the late 50's, Pye invented a record player which not only played records but also recorded on blank discs!

Looks like you just changed the headshell and recorded into it using a microphone and you could record onto blank 'magnetic' discs.

Whether you could play these on other players, I don't know.

Has anyone ever seen one of these in action or even heard of them?

Amazing, I never knew these existed.

If you shout at a discotron loud enough I'm sure that'll cut the sound of your voice onto your rarest vinyl.

Dx

Social source share

If you shout at a discotron loud enough I'm sure that'll cut the sound of your voice onto your rarest vinyl.

Dx

Apparently that was how Joe Meek got started, managed to record his voice into the run off of a record somehow

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Never seen one of these before.

Definitely don't remember them from my childhood - which would have been early 60's on.

I took a look on Google Books and only references there are from 1956-58.

So quite likely they weren't made after 1958.

Doubtless would have added a fair bit to the cost of a new record player and looks like it was a gimmick that people just weren't interested in paying good money for.

MB

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI PETE    NEVER SEEN THIS ONE, HOWEVER MOST 5T'S & 6T'S 3&4 TRACK TAPE M/C HAVE THE DISK CUTTER INPUT ON THEM, THE CUTTER CAN BE ADDAPTED FROM A DECENT NON BELT DRIVE TURNTABLE, AND IF YOU TAKE THIS BLOKES INFO A CONVERSION IS QUITE SIMPLE WITH JUST BASIC KNOWLAGE,

THE PRINCIPLE IS THE SAME AS IF YOU CONNECTED A VU GAGE TO THE DECK, OR THE SAME AS A SOUND LIGHT DISCO SET UP WORKS, A DISK CUTTER WORKS LIKE A LATHE, HENCE THIS MODEL FROM THE 5T'S WILL RECORD ABOUT A 3 MINUTE TRACK, HENCE THE LINNIER TRACKING OF THE ARM, AND THAT IN THE 5T'S MOST RECORDINGS WERE 2.5 MINUTES,

BELOW ARE 2 DISCS THAT WERE USED IN THE 5T'S TO RECORD ON SIMULAR MACHINES, IN THIS CASE I THINK THEY ARE FROM A FAIR GROUND MACHINE? BUT YOU GET THE GIST OF THE TECHNOLAGY, PUTING IT SIMPLY, GET 2 TIN CANS A ND STRING PULL IT TIGHT AND YOU HAVE A TELEPHONE, A MICROPHON & A SPEAKER ARE THE SAME, WITH iron FILEINGS ON PAPER YOU CAN SEE THE PATTERN THAT IT MAKES, CHECK OUT HOW TO  MAKE A RECORD,  

post-13241-0-82401400-1368663204_thumb.jpost-13241-0-82401400-1368663204_thumb.jpost-13241-0-82401400-1368663204_thumb.j

CHEERS FOR SHARING THIS AS I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS MODEL AT ALL, AND I WANT ONE? :rofl:  :rofl: DAVE K

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!