Val Palmer - Back In My Arms Again

First heard this played at The Cleethorpes Pier (Played by Sam) as far as i can remember.

and was pressed up on twin hits with Richie brown - uptight on reverse side, I have never had  

a proper copy since as i bought the re-press in the mid 70's, Richie Brown came out in it's own right on HIT records, 

so what was on th other side of the first issue of Val Palmer on HIT records and has it ever come up for sale?

I wonder who has the copy played at the Pier?........Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Rick,

I have had 2 copies (still got one for myself) of the black label with silver writing label, which I assumed may be a re-press.  But after some time spent asking around I have come to the conclusion that the re-press is the yellow label version and any thought that the original may have come out on the half red half black Twin Hits label are as of yet unfounded.  I have asked several collectors in the US who have extensive Twin Hits collections who say that Val Palmer was only released on the budget black an silver label.  I can't be sure that this is entirely true, but my research has never thrown up positive proof that this Artist was issued on the red and black label.  If you discover any different please let me know.

Lee

post-11820-0-01431100-1368869906_thumb.j

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
Social source share

Richie Brown - Uptight c/w Jalopy five - California Dreaming  (HIT RECORDS)  RECORD NUMBER 240  PLEASE NOTE RECORD LABEL IS NOT TWIN HITS

This label has Nashville matrix in run out grove.  label is black with silver writing. 

Val Palmer came out on tha Hit Label too originaly, the TWIN HITS LABEL looks to be re-issues of the Hit label singles, I'm sure Mr. Manship will have some info on this one,looks like a good subject for a thred Lee

Social source share

First heard this played at The Cleethorpes Pier (Played by Sam) as far as i can remember.

and was pressed up on twin hits with Richie brown - uptight on reverse side, I have never had  

a proper copy since as i bought the re-press in the mid 70's, Richie Brown came out in it's own right on HIT records, 

so what was on th other side of the first issue of Val Palmer on HIT records and has it ever come up for sale?

I wonder who has the copy played at the Pier?........Rick

Rick,  i have the original Val Palmer-back in my arms-Twin Hits 5099.  Original is vinyl, whereas the bootleg is styrene. It has a black label with silver text and came out as a b-side.  It doesn't have a Nashville matrix;   just 5099-B scratched into the dead wax. 

John Manship, in his 6th edition rare soul price guide, has the original with the flip side 'uptight' and label release number of 5046; I assume he has been given the wrong information (or does he know something that I don't?)

Hope that helps. 

PS. great version!

Social source share

i'm sure the original is on hit records and not twin hits, twin hits reissues turned up after the hit label release went big

I've never heard of it being released on Hit until your comments on here.  I remember the copy that was played in the 7ts being on Twin Hits and Soul Sam verified this a moment ago via a phone conversation.

Social source share

Thanks for that, it does answer the question, Always assumed it was on hit records as Richie Browns Uptight issued on HIT prior to BIG HIT.

Strange how your memmory works but it was over 30 years ago, So i now need to find one and find out how much it goes for these days, Should have

rung Sam up as haven't spoke to him since last year, anyway thanks for that,  now i know :thumbsup:  My copy is styrene complete with crack :(

Social source share

Rick,

I have had 2 copies (still got one for myself) of the black label with silver writing label, which I assumed may be a re-press.  But after some time spent asking around I have come to the conclusion that the re-press is the yellow label version and any thought that the original may have come out on the half red half black Twin Hits label are as of yet unfounded.  I have asked several collectors in the US who have extensive Twin Hits collections who say that Val Palmer was only released on the budget black an silver label.  I can't be sure that this is entirely true, but my research has never thrown up positive proof that this Artist was issued on the red and black label.  If you discover any different please let me know.

Lee

Yes Lee, That's the same as mine the re press, Cheers for everones help on this, Rick

attachicon.gifTwin Hits 255.jpg

Social source share

As already said, the one with Ritchie Brown on the other side is definitely a bootleg.  Rick you're not mixing it up with jenny & The Jewels "Love is like an itching" are you, that was definitely on the Hit label, played around the same time.

Hi Pete, have the jenny and the Jewels and the Richie brown on the first issues as stated would like to see a scan of the vinyl copy numbered 5099.

mine is syrene numbered th-255 which is the reissue, as love to know for sure if uptight was on the other side of the Val  Palmer orig. Seems strange

that uptight originaly on hit and Val Palmer not?

Social source share

Hi Pete, have the jenny and the Jewels and the Richie brown on the first issues as stated would like to see a scan of the vinyl copy numbered 5099.

mine is syrene numbered th-255 which is the reissue, as love to know for sure if uptight was on the other side of the Val  Palmer orig. Seems strange

that uptight originaly on hit and Val Palmer not?

You might be able to work it out by finding out when those tracks were in the charts, because they were opportunistic cover versions I think, so if they charted at the same time that might show if they were back to back

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest TallPaulInKy

post-33650-0-07103400-1409405751_thumb.j

For the benefit of everyone on this thread, I wanted to summarize what I know about the Ritchie Brown version of UpTight. It was recorded at a Hit Records sound-a-like session in Nashville Tenn. It was produced as a sound-a-like of the Stevie Wonder record, and sung by red headed Bobby Russell (songwriter of Honey, Little Green Apples, and others). The Hit Records label issue was the original and was pressed in Stereo, designated as "Compatible" on the label during February 1966.  The Twin Hits appears to be a reissue at the same time. It has been a puzzler to me as generally Twin Hits releases are normally sound-a-likes produced in the New York area, by PPX Productions and generally inferior to Hits. This is the only Hit Records master to appear on Twin Hits, as far as I can tell. The Val Palmer side is only on  Twin Hits and not issued on Hit. Val Palmer was a fairly common artist name on Twin Hits. I know some Hit/Spar records were bootlegged in the 70s, (Bill Pursell, Herbert Hunter, etc) but I suspect the Twin Hits issue was bootlegged because the original Hit B side "California Dreaming" is not a Northern Soul style song.  

I have an archived Hit Records site at www.hitrecordsofnashville.com and we have a Yahoo group called,  hitrecords. 

Any questions , I'd be glad to answer.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hi all, just to resurrect this thread from a few years back but may be of interest to some. Now it has to be said this hasn't been at the top of my wants or any where near but I've kept an eye out for one for quite a while now and finally struck lucky recently. Thick vinyl original $18 + post.... scandalous I know 😄 Scans below. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Cheers John, that looks real nice, well done you, so i was right on one point assuming THIS one WAS issued first (because the numbering for this label is sort of all over the place,)  I was wrong when i said it was on  HIT RECORDS (val Palmer)  but i made the assumption that because Richie Brown came out on HIT in it's own right as well as on Twin Hits with Val Palmer that Val Palmer did?, Hope that makes sense lol, Will have to try and find one of these, very nice. Thanks John for sharing.

Cheers, Rick 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, KevH said:

Hi Rick. The Val Palmer track is the same one as on the Dianne & The New worlds cheapie LP.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the version that is on the Dianne & New Worlds album is identical to the 45 version by Val Palmer? or do you mean it's the identical backing track with different singers? or the same singer but perhaps a different take recorded at the same session?

Social source share

1 hour ago, purist said:

Just to be clear, are you saying that the version that is on the Dianne & New Worlds album is identical to the 45 version by Val Palmer? or do you mean it's the identical backing track with different singers? or the same singer but perhaps a different take recorded at the same session?

To my ears John, identical in every way. When it was being played, Tats and myself had the LP (which I have now). Don't know how it came about. 

R-1648545-1281006934.jpeg.jpg

Social source share

1 hour ago, purist said:

Now you've got me, on question 3. Don't know.

Social source share

Hi Kev,

seemed to remember having this LP myself years ago picked from a junk shop, used to see them all the time and seem to remember it as being a UK thing, sort of cheap cover version lp recorded in the UK so don't think for a minute there was a connection to Val Palmer as an artist but  just another cover of the same song ? Does that sound about right to you ?

Social source share

On 8/30/2014 at 14:37, TallPaulInKy said:

post-33650-0-07103400-1409405751_thumb.j

For the benefit of everyone on this thread, I wanted to summarize what I know about the Ritchie Brown version of UpTight. It was recorded at a Hit Records sound-a-like session in Nashville Tenn. It was produced as a sound-a-like of the Stevie Wonder record, and sung by red headed Bobby Russell (songwriter of Honey, Little Green Apples, and others). The Hit Records label issue was the original and was pressed in Stereo, designated as "Compatible" on the label during February 1966.  The Twin Hits appears to be a reissue at the same time. It has been a puzzler to me as generally Twin Hits releases are normally sound-a-likes produced in the New York area, by PPX Productions and generally inferior to Hits. This is the only Hit Records master to appear on Twin Hits, as far as I can tell. The Val Palmer side is only on  Twin Hits and not issued on Hit. Val Palmer was a fairly common artist name on Twin Hits. I know some Hit/Spar records were bootlegged in the 70s, (Bill Pursell, Herbert Hunter, etc) but I suspect the Twin Hits issue was bootlegged because the original Hit B side "California Dreaming" is not a Northern Soul style song.  

I have an archived Hit Records site at www.hitrecordsofnashville.com and we have a Yahoo group called,  hitrecords. 

Any questions , I'd be glad to answer.

So are you saying that Ritchie Brown is actually Bobby Russell?

EDIT: I just googled and yes, Ritchie Brown is a pseudonym for Bobby Russell.....

russell_bobby_headshot.jpg.de30136657911134b7dd04e3d9d0bf6e.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
new info
Social source share

16 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

So are you saying that Ritchie Brown is actually Bobby Russell?

EDIT: I just googled and yes, Ritchie Brown is a pseudonym for Bobby Russell.....

russell_bobby_headshot.jpg.de30136657911134b7dd04e3d9d0bf6e.jpg

Would love to know once and for all which of the Val Palmer issues is the Original (which came first)  TH - 255 or 5099 B

Looking at info we have is looking like 5099 B

Social source share

21 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Hi Kev,

seemed to remember having this LP myself years ago picked from a junk shop, used to see them all the time and seem to remember it as being a UK thing, sort of cheap cover version lp recorded in the UK so don't think for a minute there was a connection to Val Palmer as an artist but  just another cover of the same song ? Does that sound about right to you ?

Well sounds same to me. You can pick up the lp cheap. Have a listen see what you think.

Social source share

2 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Would love to know once and for all which of the Val Palmer issues is the Original (which came first)  TH - 255 or 5099 B

Looking at info we have is looking like 5099 B

No confusion I'd have said, 5099 B is a proper old record, you know what I mean,you can tell just by the feel of it. TH-555-B is just a cheap mass produced 70's boot surely. I got the yellow label variant here. Has delta number 103796 in the run out which would confirm that.

image.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share