Articles: 100 Club Last Night - 18 May 2013

Happy Birthday today Dave Thorley!!x Good to see your enjoying life still mate....and the 100club has always been 'guaranteed' with the right attitude!x Your points are well worth repeating regarding Ady...or any promoter with that approach...which should be 'standard'...but it ain't!x Like Ady does...I spoke with every Soulie coming through my doo's door. Folk came just to get such a welcome!! Soulful stuff init! It amazes me that folk go to the trouble of sorting a venue....gear...DJ's....yet forget the basics of what it is all about....'the people'! Quite often when trekking I would have to go seek out the Promoter/s to say 'hi' and 'thanks' as I arrived and left! Then they wondered or moaned about why they didn't get the support from 'the people'! Needless to say...I didn't get into a group dynamic/humanitarian discussion to explain why they had failed...or failing.....as personally i'd had a good night and it weren't my problem!! But for you folk contemplating 'entertaining'...then givin it large wiv ure mates in a corner or remaning 'aloof'...isn't part of the programme....if u want success and the support of 'the people'...I reckon!x

Whilst Ady has been mentioned as being a great 'host'...the same applied for Little Scotty up t'norf....Pete who was involved in Winsford...Dave Clegg at Stockport(0nce giaining consciesnuss!!hehe!x)...and indeed many smaller promoters of Soul Nights Nationwide....too many to mention....but it weren't always the case....especially at some of the larger venues! I hope that's changed!x.

LUV
SOOTY
X

,,,,the 1ooClub has always been an attraction for the younger crowd it seems. Throughout the 90's the it always had a healthy and keen youthful bunch attending and up front dancing and being up front at the front with it! Luv'd them there everytime!x! In fact my best ever reaction to a tune in 7 years was at the 100club...from these 'youngsters'! To finish my set 1 night I played a tune which had just arrived on a mint Demo.....and never been played by me ever in public! It had been a favourite since hearing it in my mate Waynes bedroom in 1974! I just wanted to play it LOUD...and PROUD....and did! The place went maaaad with dancing....and then when leaving the stage....I was mobbed by these youngsters en masse.....still sweating from their dancing exploits....and they asked "WOT THE F*** IS THAT TUNE????"....all eagerish and in a state of euphoria still..!!!!! I told them.....and their reply was AWEEEESOME!!!! All I remember is looking over this amassed bunch and seeing Ady smiling across at me.....content! Happy days!!!x

Ooops....the tune?????>>>>>>>>>>

....and u know wot......after 40 years of first hearing it..............and just hearing it now.......it still is AWESOME....I reckon!!!!x I hope on your Birthday Dave this tune may have been a happy memory for you too at some point in your Soull life....I hope so...as it is dedicated to you and your service to the scene too!x......have a good un!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This was one of the best all nighters I have attended in over 20 yrs - I would say it entered my top ten for last 20yrs  - and in my top 50 I have attended in 37 years- Well done to all the DJs - some great spins -

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...I say this as a compliment Ady...but it was the easiest place I found to DJ in!x Every record was received by the folk....and it epitomises what a dance floor and environment should be aiming for!x

Getting me bucket and spade ready for Cleethorpes mefinks!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

I was in a bar last night here in China, and this chinese guy walks in with a 'Billy' t-shirt on . . . that boys gonna be big !!

Ay Up Me Dear, how are you, hope all is well in China. Billy already is a star, as you well know. Hopefully see you back over here some time

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi Helen, did he have vinyl forever on the back, just asking, Billy.

You mean Vinyl 4 Ever, Billy. You've kept us amused us continuously over the last few years with slogans such as "BiG un from Wigan", "Soul crusader from the East" "Your soul club needs you" (uncle sam style) "Don't pity me baby" and the best one was "don't it make ya feel funky" except the printer accidentally put funny instead of funky. (Un)fortunately you read it before leaving Norwich for the Mars Bar that night!! Keep up the good work............       

Social source share