Ethics In Buying Records

When Paul B came along so Cathy B was not earning, and interest rates went up to 15%, and I went on a 3 day week at work, I sold my issue of Let My Heart and Soul Be Free/Whats the Use Of Me Trying by the Tangeers for a fiver, along with other classics such as a Saxie Russell Thomas demo etc. to one of the Burnley crew.

I was off the scene then and didn't know the values, but this mate knew and even tried to barter me down!!!

I know ethics doesn't come into it, but how many of you knowing my circumstances at that time, and being a fellow soulie, would have done that, or might some of you have kindly illuminated me on the true value?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

When Paul B came along so Cathy B was not earning, and interest rates went up to 15%, and I went on a 3 day week at work, I sold my issue of Let My Heart and Soul Be Free/Whats the Use Of Me Trying by the Tangeers for a fiver, along with other classics such as a Saxie Russell Thomas demo etc. to one of the Burnley crew.

I was off the scene then and didn't know the values, but this mate knew and even tried to barter me down!!!

I know ethics doesn't come into it, but how many of you knowing my circumstances at that time, and being a fellow soulie, would have done that, or might some of you have kindly illuminated me on the true value?

I for one, whatever your circumstances, couldn't have done that, my conscience wouldn't let me.I would never have got any pleasure out of those records :thumbsup:

Edited by KarenC
Social source share

================

Sounds a little unsavoury, but probably something you need to take up with your 'Mate' on a personal level??

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

how long ago are we talking and what was it worth at the time?

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

its easy to say now but, i would have done a bit of research on the current value at the time, if i came across this situation as a buyer, i would have to tell them what they had , getting a bargain and getting ripped off, two different things :rolleyes:
Social source share

I did a post on this topic a few weeks ago. My local second hand shop gets bits of soul, funk and reggae in now and again. I try to establish the going rate for for anything he finds. I let him know and then he usually charges me about 40% of the current value.

He makes a profit and gets a value for the stuff I don't want, I get a bargain and first call on whatever he turns up. Everyone is happy :rolleyes:

Godz

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Does it only apply if it's a mate or fellow soulie? On another thread i don't see anyone having any qualms about taking thousand dollar rare 45s off poor Americans for a few cents... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!