Soul In Liverpool.?

Guest sharmo 1

Guest sharmo 1

hi there was at Dudley a couple of week's ago and got talking to a guy from Liverpool I asked about the scene in Liverpool he said there wasn't one and had never been one. Do you know I'd never thought about it and it suddenly dawned on me that I couldn't remember anyone going on about a northern soul nighter , dayer or soul night in Liverpool so is there or was there one ? regards Simon.

Social source share

• Replies 117
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Remember the old 'Sink Club' back in the day, but other than this Liverpool has never exactly been a hotbed of northern.

Used to go to Wigan back in the day with several scousers but interestingly none lived in Liverpool..

Social source share

Remember the old 'Sink Club' back in the day, but other than this Liverpool has never exactly been a hotbed of northern.

Used to go to Wigan back in the day with several scousers but interestingly none lived in Liverpool..

Was always a more funk influenced town - havinh said that have played more than a few nights up there but playing at the time current release soul stuff.

Social source share

Hi Simon. Hope your well. As Barry said the only one I can think of is the sink club. 15 miles to the East of Liverpool is a town called Widnes where I was born and bred. Now that's a totally different story in the 70,s and early 80,s there was a Soul nite at a different venue 7 nites a week, it was a special place to be.

Ste

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Correct Zed, Northern wasn't a big scene in Liverpool.

Was a lad called Chris Hurley went to Wigan regular, absolute top draw dancer, he was really well known too,  he was from Toxteth originally, but lived in Warrington so doesn't count. He was a top lad, mixed race, don't think I ever saw a better dancer, much better than that Sandy, I could be wrong, but I think he came 2nd in one of the dance comps, although they were a bore fest for me to be honest.

But in the 70's a least, no soul scene in Liverpool to speak of, not saying there wasn't at other times.

Aid.

Edit: Also there was that downstairs bar near Bold Street, but that was 60's I think & more generic soul than Northern.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

Was a lad called Chris Hurley went to Wigan regular,

Remember Chris - went out with one of the Girls who used to travel with us to Wigan, and YES he was a good dancer.

Used to go down most weeks with a crowd from Runcorn, including Dusty (RIP) Libby and several others who were all Scousers..

Social source share

Hi Simon. Hope your well. As Barry said the only one I can think of is the sink club. 15 miles to the East of Liverpool is a town called Widnes where I was born and bred. Now that's a totally different story in the 70,s and early 80,s there was a Soul nite at a different venue 7 nites a week, it was a special place to be.

Ste

I knew some top lads from Widnes that went every week, remember one called Duncan Barrow??

Also, the LEGENDARY Bupa (Spelling?) was from Widnes.

Also know a few more, one lad called Neil from Runcorn (really tall lad), top collector, had loads of rarities.

Aid.

Edit: should add, Bupa's day was way before mine (when it was really good ;-)).

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

I knew some top lads from Widnes that went every week, remember one called Duncan Barrow??

Also know a few more, one lad called Neil from Runcorn, top collector, had loads of rarities.

Aid.

Cog too. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This subject has been well covered before.

So, at the risk of repeating myself, there has always been Soul music played in Liverpool, more than anybody who didn't grow up in Liverpool will ever know, just not much Northern Soul, which is what we're REALLY talking about here, right?

As for it being a city influenced mainly by Funk, I've never heard so much twoddle.

I'm saying no more, because I don't want to get into any pointless arguments, I'll leave it up to others to rightly correct any misinformed rubbish that might be portrayed in later postings.

The Sink Soul Club was one of many clubs in Liverpool playing Soul music. But it was one of the earliest and one of the best, chronologically running in parallel with the likes of the Twisted Wheel, etc.

Social source share

Also know a few more, one lad called Neil from Runcorn (really tall lad), top collector, had loads of rarities.

Aid.

Edit: should add, Bupa's day was way before mine (when it was really good ;-)).

Little Dunc, Top lad from Penketh originally. Neil Mercer from Runcorn moved up to the north east in the 80s not seen him since. Still bump into Frank booper now and then

Ste

Social source share

So, at the risk of repeating myself, there has always been Soul music played in Liverpool, more than anybody who didn't grow up in Liverpool will ever know, just not much Northern Soul, which is what we're REALLY talking about here, right?

As for it being a city influenced mainly by Funk, I've never heard so much twoddle.

I'm saying no more, because I don't want to get into any pointless arguments, I'll leave it up to others to rightly correct any misinformed rubbish that might be portrayed in later postings.

The Sink Soul Club was one of many clubs in Liverpool playing Soul music. But it was one of the earliest and one of the best, chronologically running in parallel with the likes of the Twisted Wheel, etc.

Calm down. :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was a lad called Chris Hurley went to Wigan regular, absolute top draw dancer, he was really well known too,  he was from Toxteth originally, but lived in Warrington so doesn't count. He was a top lad, mixed race, don't think I ever saw a better dancer, much better than that Sandy, I could be wrong, but I think he came 2nd in one of the dance comps, although they were a bore fest for me to be honest.

But in the 70's a least, no soul scene in Liverpool to speak of, not saying there wasn't at other times.

Aid.

Edit: Also there was that downstairs bar near Bold Street, but that was 60's I think & more generic soul than Northern.

Chris I think lived in Cuerdley cross for a while. Top lad and class dancer

Ste

Social source share

Just to come back to you on this mate - I managed and owned Hott Waxx Records in Warrington and sold soul to Scouseers all week and I djed at a lot of NW nights (Carlton, Smiths Soul Train etc etc) all well attended/supported by Scousers, also many nights in Liverpool playing new/old Soul - so yes,they are talking about Northern.

If you knew a lot of the older black and chinese folk, older in the 80's and 90's even, then you'd know that the funk thing was a major part of Liverpools set up.

I try not to make rash or ill-informed statements.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you knew a lot of the older black and chinese folk, older in the 80's and 90's even, then you'd know that the funk thing was a major part of Liverpools set up.

I try not to make rash or ill-informed statements.

I did know many black and some Chinese Soul fans from Liverpool. I'm now 62 and grew up in Liverpool when Soul music played was wide and varied, and not greatly influenced by Funk. Having said that, I guess it depends on which era you're talking about. That said, many cities around the UK were influenced by Funk, like London and Manchester, It all depended on which clubs you visited, and when.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I did know many black and some Chinese Soul fans from Liverpool. I'm now 62 and grew up in Liverpool when Soul music played was wide and varied, and not greatly influenced by Funk. Having said that, I guess it depends on which era you're talking about. That said, many cities around the UK were influenced by Funk, like London and Manchester, It all depended on which clubs you visited, and when.

Good answer - but don't tell me I'm talking twoddle ay! :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Come on Denbo. You were the ONLY Northern Souler from Liverpool in the early 70's! I had mates who used to go to Les Spaine's club, the Timepiece which was mainly upfront funk and quite a few went to Terry Lennaine's do's in Birkenhead which was commercial soul and disco but Northern soulers from Liverpool you could count on one hand. One finger in fact! :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Good answer - but don't tell me I'm talking twoddle ay! :thumbsup:

I would, if it wasn't for your comment "Was always a more funk influenced town", which it wasn't. At least not at any of the venues I frequented, and there were many.

But like I said, I don't want to get into any arguments and if the use of the word twoddle upset you, then I apologise. It's just that I'm fed up to the back teeth of people (not you) slagging off Liverpool, and its past Soul scene, when most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Social source share

I would, if it wasn't for your comment "Was always a more funk influenced town", which it wasn't. At least not at any of the venues I frequented, and there were many.

But like I said, I don't want to get into any arguments and if the use of the word twoddle upset you, then I apologise. It's just that I'm fed up to the back teeth of people (not you) slagging off Liverpool, and its past Soul scene, when most of them don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Got you - fair do's - the 'Pool's a great town. :D

Social source share

Come on Denbo. You were the ONLY Northern Souler from Liverpool in the early 70's! I had mates who used to go to Les Spaine's club, the Timepiece which was mainly upfront funk and quite a few went to Terry Lennaine's do's in Birkenhead which was commercial soul and disco but Northern soulers from Liverpool you could count on one hand. One finger in fact! :lol:

Ey up 'Frank' :lol:

Terry was an old pal of mine back in the early 70s, for a short while anyway. He played whatever he had to to pay his mortgage but he was a good Soul fan through and through.

I won't argue that there weren't ANY clubs in Liverpool playing Funk, of one variety or another, just not any of those I frequented.

Anyhow, I was by no means the only Scouser into Northern back then. There were quite a few before and after me, just not as 'memorable' as me. :lol:

Getting back to the original point, the suggestion was that there was no Soul scene in Liverpool, which judging by this discussion, has now been blown out of the water?

Social source share

Ey up 'Frank' :lol:

Terry was an old pal of mine back in the early 70s, for a short while anyway. He played whatever he had to to pay his mortgage but he was a good Soul fan through and through.

I won't argue that there weren't ANY clubs in Liverpool playing Funk, of one variety or another, just not any of those I frequented.

Anyhow, I was by no means the only Scouser into Northern back then. There were quite a few before and after me, just not as 'memorable' as me. :lol:

Getting back to the original point, the suggestion was that there was no Soul scene in Liverpool, which judging by this discussion, has now been blown out of the water?

I used to go to one of Terry's nights here in Warrington @ the old Fiesta in about 80/81 - he does a radio show with one of my old hoppo's Desa on a Monday.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest Byrney

When I lived in Liverpool (90s) the lads my age (now 48) who I knew always saw Northern Soul as wooly back music and saw funk as cooler and more progressive.

Also in all my years going to nighters I can count the Liverpool lads I've met on one hand.

I know about the sink, mardis grad etc in the 60s early 70s (didn't most towns have a club soul scene then) but can you really say it was a soul town like Stoke, Manchester, Nottingham etc.

Social source share

the suggestion was that there was no Soul scene in Liverpool, which judging by this discussion, has now been blown out of the water?

No one suggested that Denbo - the original poster stated Northern in his post. :wink: - a different fish.

Social source share

Chris I think lived in Cuerdley cross for a while. Top lad and class dancer

Ste

Yeah, he lived in Penketh near me, not far from Cuerdley Cross, he went to the smoke to be a professional dancer.

Great lad, real character, real nice guy, I knew him very well, he was one of the Warrington crowd really, adopted scouser.

Aid.

Social source share

I know about the sink, mardis grad etc in the 60s early 70s (didn't most towns have a club soul scene then) but can you really say it was a soul town like Stoke, Manchester, Nottingham etc.

Absolutely yes, I can, just not Northern, which is what you're really on about.

Social source share

Yeah, he lived in Penketh near me, not far from Cuerdley Cross, he went to the smoke to be a professional dancer.

Great lad, real character, real nice guy, I knew him very well, he was one of the Warrington crowd really, adopted scouser.

Aid.

You remember Little Sean from Penketh mate?

Social source share

Hey Denbo, as for me, my statements were purely 'Northern Soul' based, and in the 70's.

I'm sure there were generic soul/r&b venues etc, I have no doubt about that at all.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember Chris - went out with one of the Girls who used to travel with us to Wigan, and YES he was a good dancer.

Used to go down most weeks with a crowd from Runcorn, including Dusty (RIP) Libby and several others who were all Scousers..

Hey Zed, remember another top lad from Widnes called Pete Smith, he had black hair Brian Ferry style?

Top lad, long long time since I seen him.

Aid.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

I recall a few guys having a go at playing Northern in Liverpool city centre at a club called Livingstones in the late 70's

Yes, that included myself and Frank Jackson. There were a few others that I can't remember? Brian Flynn? was another.

Mainly consisted of collectors, each taking a small box and DJing on an ad-hoc basis throughout the night.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

You remember Little Sean from Penketh mate?

What was his second name Barry?

Can't say as it springs to mind, but I'm a bit senile lately.

Main lads I went to Wigan with, week in week out were Nelly (I still knock about with), Big Mark, Ainsley (in Aus now) Russ Redfern R.I.P. Joey Hatton, Yorkie R.I.P. from Latchford, Geoff Whitfield (he was a serious record collector, top lad too), Kenny Wakefield and Avo, Gaz Johns (who still comes out with us) from Orford. Loads and loads really, these just spring to mind now.

Do you know Kev McQue? Jeff Boardman?

Aid.

Social source share

What was his second name Barry?

Can't say as it springs to mind, but I'm a bit senile lately.

Main lads I went to Wigan with, week in week out were Nelly (I still knock about with), Big Mark, Ainsley (in Aus now) Russ Redfern R.I.P. Joey Hatton, Yorkie R.I.P. from Latchford, Geoff Whitfield (he was a serious record collector, top lad too), Kenny Wakefield and Avo, Gaz Johns (who still comes out with us) from Orford. Loads and loads really, these just spring to mind now.

Do you know Kev McQue? Jeff Boardman?

Aid.

I can't remember mate, small lad, Scouse accent, placcie Scouser clobber - I used to drag him to Wigan on occasion.

I know Kev and Jeff very well, though not seen Jeff in a few years now - and Geoff Whitfield  too, good lad, bought some great stuff off ov him (and Gene) over the years. He's in Leamington Spa now ay.

Social source share

I can't remember mate, small lad, Scouse accent, placcie Scouser clobber - I used to drag him to Wigan on occasion.

I know Kev and Jeff very well, though not seen Jeff in a few years now - and Geoff Whitfield  too, good lad, bought some great stuff off ov him (and Gene) over the years. He's in Leamington Spa now ay.

I'll have a think about that Sean, bet any money I know him.

When Geoff W sold up he had S. Sam round his house, cherry picking like a vulture.

We know a lot of mutual people then  :thumbsup:

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to go to one of Terry's nights here in Warrington @ the old Fiesta in about 80/81 - he does a radio show with one of my old hoppo's Desa on a Monday.

That'd be Desa Basshead right Barry? He's best mates with my old best mate, Johnnie Williams from Birkenhead. Johnnie was the guy who graffittied "The Commodores" on a bridge in Liverpool....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

denbo there was a big funk club post timepiece in the 70s cant think of the name, on wood street from the bottom on the right walking up you had sadies, swinging apple and it was after that it made the corner, cant remember all the d.js but ivan freeman was one....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I presume Billy Butler (the radio Merseyside/Radio City jock) must have played a bit of Soul in the 60's. I seem to vaguely remember he had the first copy of Frankie & Johnny which Richard Searling nabbed.

Also, where were the Beatles hearing the Isley Brothers, Marvelettes, Smokey etc? I presume they must have been hearing that stuff somewhere in Liverpool in the early to mid 60's.....?

Social source share

That'd be Desa Basshead right Barry? He's best mates with my old best mate, Johnnie Williams from Birkenhead. Johnnie was the guy who graffittied "The Commodores" on a bridge in Liverpool....

That's the one Ian - him and his crew been doing quite a bit on the edits front of late.

Social source share

Lats time I saw John he turned up with Desa at one of our OHS all dayers - passon my heartfelts please mate? :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I presume Billy Butler (the radio Merseyside/Radio City jock) must have played a bit of Soul in the 60's. I seem to vaguely remember he had the first copy of Frankie & Johnny which Richard Searling nabbed.

Also, where were the Beatles hearing the Isley Brothers, Marvelettes, Smokey etc? I presume they must have been hearing that stuff somewhere in Liverpool in the early to mid 60's.....?

On a serious historical note, it's a large port too, I've have read that some sailors were bringing in some early U.S. soul/r&b records in to the country, along with some of those Beach Boy style button down shirts & mohair/mod style suits early 60's, before it went mainstream.

Aid.

Social source share

On a serious historical note, it's a large port too, I've have read that some sailors were bringing in some early U.S. soul/r&b records in to the country, along with some of those Beach Boy style button down shirts & mohair/mod style suits early 60's, before it went mainstream.

Aid.

A big shebeen scene in the 60's/70's too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!