The Mighty Mighty Dells - Live 1972

A guy posted this (28+ minutes long) clip of a 1972 US TV show performance by the Dells up on SDF

..... it had been on youtube for around 9 months anyway BUT I wasn't aware of it ..........

... the BEST GROUP EVER (in a tie with the 60's Impressions, however these guys lasted forever, always together)  ...

...... THE DELLS ..... back in their prime period when their vocal powers were at a peak ..

........ WOW, just pure magic ......

.... they put so much effort & emotion into their performance that it's breathtaking ......

...... only trouble is I want one of those shirt / waistcoat sets for mesen now .........

Fantastic footage

tfk

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What a coincidence. I found this last night through viewing the footage of Parliament on the Say Brother tv show from 1969 (amazing performance) which has been up for a couple of years but which I'd not seen till yesterday.

Edited by maslar
Social source share

F#####g  Ell     WOW!      All X Factor contestants should be made to watch this  !!

Blown me away 

ROBURT

...... only trouble is I want one of those shirt / waistcoat sets for mesen now .........

They are still in the wardrobe at Somersby Ave. where you left Em.

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

F#####g  Ell     WOW!      All X Factor contestants should be made to watch this  !!

Blown me away 

Can still show our kid the way at times ..... even now !!!   :thumbup:

Spent many years (80's) trying in vain to get you to appreciate MS, eventually the penny dropped & you took to it.

Mind you, you always did like most everything the Dells recorded (must get your good taste from me).   :lol:

Social source share

1972, that was the year they brought out to me (and theres a lot to choose from) there finest album, "Sweet as funk can be" the title really doesn't tell the story, packed with shattering ballads, Marvin usually gets the plaudits, and I believe some of his finest moments are on this set, but Johnny Carter, for me one of the greatest singers ever, dovetails as he always did magnificently with Marvin, its a set I always go back to, and no disrespect to the others, but when you listen to Marvin and Johnny dipping and soaring on "Do what you gotta do babe" and "Just as long as we're in love"  its hard to put anything else on after, you just can't follow these guys, they are that good

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Wow, The Mighty mighty Dells Just Brilliant, Thanks For Bringing Back Memories Of Trentham Gardens,

There Must Be Some Footage Out There Of That Magical night,

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Thanks...fantastico!!!!!! big brother took me aged 12 to see the Temptations in 1972: a major factor in my slippery slide into black music [though it had already started] a much slicker operation than the Dells but my what power the Chi-Town boys had. You can see how long they have been together with elements of doo-wop and gospel in the harmonies. Anyway thanks very much

dean

Social source share

5 likes for that masterpeice on a supposed hotbed of a website for Soul Music is an absolute disgrace, when these guys sing, Northern, Crossover, 60,s 70,s, funk, R&B whatever you want to call it don,t come into it, 

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Fabulous clip, and for me they're rightly thought by many as the greatest group of them all.

The holding of the note by Marvin Junior at 17.03 on "Stay In My Corner" is one of the greatest highlights of soul music 

Social source share

Trentham Gardens ..... 1999 ... the Dells in full swing on stage .............

so just why is 'our kid' posing while Dave Leedham takes a portrait shot of him .........

.... surely, like me, he should have had 100% of his attention focused on the great group on stage !!!!

post-22122-0-84561500-1369580551_thumb.j

Social source share

A guy posted this (28+ minutes long) clip of a 1972 US TV show performance by the Dells up on SDF

..... it had been on youtube for around 9 months anyway BUT I wasn't aware of it ..........

... the BEST GROUP EVER (in a tie with the 60's Impressions, however these guys lasted forever, always together)  ...

...... THE DELLS ..... back in their prime period when their vocal powers were at a peak ..

........ WOW, just pure magic ......

.... they put so much effort & emotion into their performance that it's breathtaking ......

This should be made a sticky just to remind people that this is what its all about .

Thanks Roburt .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Trentham Gardens ..... 1999 ... the Dells in full swing on stage .............

so just why is 'our kid' posing while Dave Leedham takes a portrait shot of him .........

.... surely, like me, he should have had 100% of his attention focused on the great group on stage !!!!

I wus set up Guv Mr Leedham had a word before they came on and said keep an eye out for me I'll be on stage taking photo's, and that photo is the wrong way round he accessed from stage left as i remember.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!