Gloria Jones

my mate ralph played heartbeat the other week and its sounded fantastic...

then i thought about all the other things she did

obviously tainted love but also the brilliant 'finders keepers' and come go with me

any body think she was underrated as a singer??

any one see her live in the 70's?

was she anygood ?

just wondering as you do..

regards

mark

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

obviously tainted love but also the brilliant 'finders keepers' and come go with me

was she anygood ?

regards

mark

Love 'Heartbeat' myself, absolutely mad frantic a-go-go screaming magic whistling.gif

Martin

Social source share

Guest martyn

was she anygood ?

regards

mark

Mark,I saw her live at St Ives Allnighter in July 1976-I still have the poster.

It wasn't a particually good nighter as they moved the main hall from the usual room into a big F-me off sports hall, which, (as sports halls do) had a translucent roof lettting the light in after about 4:30 & killing the atmosphere.

Her performance was pretty good-She belted out all the stompers (Heartbeat,Tainted Love(can't remember Come Go with Me though)),plus a few from her new album which I belive had a new mix of Tainted Love on it.The backing band was Gonzalez (I haven't stoped dancing yet!),who looked a strange mix of ageing hippies.She wore a gold lame 'indian squar(spelling?) outfit which would under normal circumstances :lol: ,have given most of us the horn.All in all,a cracking performance from Gloria but would have been better in the usuall room with better acoustics & the usual packed dance floor.

BTW-The biggest sound of the night newies wise?......California Strut whistling.gif:lol:

Social source share

Mark,I saw her live at St Ives Allnighter in July 1976-I still have the poster.

It wasn't a particually good nighter as they moved the main hall from the usual room into a big F-me off sports hall, which, (as sports halls do) had a translucent roof lettting the light in after about 4:30 & killing the atmosphere.

Her performance was pretty good-She belted out all the stompers (Heartbeat,Tainted Love(can't remember Come Go with Me though)),plus a few from her new album which I belive had a new mix of Tainted Love on it.The backing band was Gonzalez (I haven't stoped dancing yet!),who looked a strange mix of ageing hippies.She wore a gold lame 'indian squar(spelling?) outfit which would under normal circumstances :lol: ,have given most of us the horn.All in all,a cracking performance from Gloria but would have been better in the usuall room with better acoustics & the usual packed dance floor.

BTW-The biggest sound of the night newies wise?......California Strut whistling.gif:lol:

========

cheers martyn

nice story

Social source share

i was there that night, marc bolan was poncing about in cream suit with a big hat, massive grin on his face because we all ignored him and left him alone. gloria signed a pound note "come go with me micheal, love gloria" treasured it right up to the day i was so f**kin hungry i spent it at the whimpy in stamford. whistling.gif she was a good woman and chatted to us in the changing room for ages. :lol:

Social source share

If you are a lover of Glorias 60s Uptown releases try to get your hands on the Come go with me Lp which can be picked up cheaply (is worth buying for the cover alone) and has the title track , Finders keepers , Heartbeat , Run one flight of stairs , How do you tell an angel and the track below which I think was only on the album.I think I put this up somewhere in sounds ages ago.

gloria_jones_yes.mp3

Social source share

If you are a lover of Glorias 60s Uptown releases try to get your hands on the Come go with me Lp which can be picked up cheaply (is worth buying for the cover alone) and has the title track , Finders keepers , Heartbeat , Run one flight of stairs , How do you tell an angel and the track below which I think was only on the album.I think I put this up somewhere in sounds ages ago.

Just saw this French EP on ebay, same cover as the LP, it's item 4882127518 :

48_1_b.JPG

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Very classy lady Gloria Jones. One of the few singers who could read, write and arrange music.

She did a few shows for the footballers and TV personalities at Blinkers Club Manchester.

A venue were the posh people went, to listen to Northern on a Thursday night.

In a recent interveiw on American TV she said her favourite track was-BRING ON THE LOVE-Capitol 8503.

Good topic.

Denis.

Social source share

Guest martyn

i was there that night, marc bolan was poncing about in cream suit with a big hat, massive grin on his face because we all ignored him and left him alone. gloria signed a pound note "come go with me micheal, love gloria" treasured it right up to the day i was so f**kin hungry i spent it at the whimpy in stamford. :thumbsup: she was a good woman and chatted to us in the changing room for ages. :lol:

So that little bloke in the cream suit was Bolan :yes: ....I thought it was a wind up :lol:

Social source share

Guest scratuglia

I have an LP on Vee Jay's Exodus subsidiary by a gospel group from Chicago called the COGIC's. The liners say that Gloria Jones was a member. My question: is it the same Gloria?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

She was also a member of T-rex but that does not come into soul. Come Go With Me is my fav of her's i heard so far

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!